Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Asking Staff to Volunteer to clean Skyclubs due to staff shortage!

Old May 10, 21, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.

With DL now asking employees to volunteer (without pay) to clean the ATL SkyClubs - maybe they could take the same initiative with phone center agents.

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; May 11, 21 at 5:43 pm Reason: edited title originally created by Mod to eliminate confusion
Old May 10, 21, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
With DL now asking employees to volunteer (without pay) to clean the ATL SkyClubs - maybe they could take the same initiative with phone center agents.

-FlyerBeek
Are they too cheap to staff custodial services at this point?
Old May 10, 21, 10:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, United MileagePlus 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion

-FlyerBeek
If true, and no reason to believe itís not, then this is lower than low, and reveals just how bad the staffing situation is across the board at DL!
Old May 10, 21, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

-FlyerBeek
Why would anyone volunteer to clean the SkyClubs?
Old May 11, 21, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
No idea. The Delta Cool Aid must be strong among some work groups in ATL. A DL pilot friend sent me the notice asking for volunteers (needless to say, he wasn't volunteering).

-FlyerBeek
Old May 11, 21, 3:29 am

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
No idea. The Delta Cool Aid must be strong among some work groups in ATL. A DL pilot friend sent me the notice asking for volunteers (needless to say, he wasn't volunteering).

-FlyerBeek
It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Asking for volunteers to clean, does not mean they are not paying them. When I worked my first job at an Old Navy back when I was 17, they asked for volunteers who wanted to clean the bathroom when the custodian broke his hip. Didn't mean they weren't being paid just that they were volunteering for the job. Those who did it ( I wasn't one) actually got a 100 dollar gift card for clothing that wasn't announced.

It's a job that doesn't fall under their job description, I wouldn't be surprised if those who did volunteer to take on the extra duty wouldn't get some sort of prize or something from Delta.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Free entrance to the club? What if they ask non-employees? Would it be first-come, first allowed entry
lsquare likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
Asking for volunteers to clean, does not mean they are not paying them. When I worked my first job at an Old Navy back when I was 17, they asked for volunteers who wanted to clean the bathroom when the custodian broke his hip. Didn't mean they weren't being paid just that they were volunteering for the job. Those who did it ( I wasn't one) actually got a 100 dollar gift card for clothing that wasn't announced.

It's a job that doesn't fall under their job description, I wouldn't be surprised if those who did volunteer to take on the extra duty wouldn't get some sort of prize or something from Delta.
I agree that they're likely paid, but this whole thing does reek of desperation. Especially contacting pilots, I would be shocked if the union didn't put an end to that nonsense immediately. Other employees are unfortunately out of luck and probably could be assigned to the task.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this be a way to allow crew who are sitting at the airport on reserve duty to pick up some extra money or other goodies instead of just sitting and waiting?

Others who have had their hours (and income) cut might appreciate this opportunity rather than seeing DL hire more staff for these positions or pay for outsourced contract workers.

Still, I wouldn't expect most volunteers to be efficient cleaners.

BTW, I had assumed that SC cleaners were outsourced positions, like the food service SC workers seem to be.
Old May 11, 21, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM

-FlyerBeek
What's the source of this story?
writerguyfl and DLASflyer like this.
Old May 11, 21, 9:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
It seems to be an email sent to a pilot friend of the OP, presumably not dated April 1st.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I find this story VERY difficult to believe.
writerguyfl and HDQDD like this.
Old May 11, 21, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PM
They are outsourced; the only DL workers are at the check-in counter.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 11:30 am

I wouldn't expect most pilots to be at all willing to help clean lounges.

In some organizations, volunteering to pitch in and help the employer would be viewed very favorably by management.
DiverDave and lsquare like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: