FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Asking Staff to Volunteer to clean Skyclubs due to staff shortage! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2039913-delta-asking-staff-volunteer-clean-skyclubs-due-staff-shortage.html)

FlyerBeek May 10, 2021 4:05 pm

Delta Asking Staff to Volunteer to clean Skyclubs due to staff shortage!

With DL now asking employees to volunteer (without pay) to clean the ATL SkyClubs - maybe they could take the same initiative with phone center agents. :rolleyes:

-FlyerBeek

cmd320 May 10, 2021 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 33241547)
With DL now asking employees to volunteer (without pay) to clean the ATL SkyClubs - maybe they could take the same initiative with phone center agents. :rolleyes:

-FlyerBeek

Are they too cheap to staff custodial services at this point?

unitedbusiness May 10, 2021 10:43 pm

-FlyerBeek

If true, and no reason to believe it’s not, then this is lower than low, and reveals just how bad the staffing situation is across the board at DL!

lsquare May 10, 2021 10:53 pm

-FlyerBeek

Why would anyone volunteer to clean the SkyClubs?

FlyerBeek May 11, 2021 3:17 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33242298)

No idea. The Delta Cool Aid must be strong among some work groups in ATL. A DL pilot friend sent me the notice asking for volunteers (needless to say, he wasn't volunteering).

-FlyerBeek

lsquare May 11, 2021 3:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 33242592)
No idea. The Delta Cool Aid must be strong among some work groups in ATL. A DL pilot friend sent me the notice asking for volunteers (needless to say, he wasn't volunteering).

-FlyerBeek

It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

HWGeeks May 11, 2021 8:10 am

Asking for volunteers to clean, does not mean they are not paying them. When I worked my first job at an Old Navy back when I was 17, they asked for volunteers who wanted to clean the bathroom when the custodian broke his hip. Didn't mean they weren't being paid just that they were volunteering for the job. Those who did it ( I wasn't one) actually got a 100 dollar gift card for clothing that wasn't announced.

It's a job that doesn't fall under their job description, I wouldn't be surprised if those who did volunteer to take on the extra duty wouldn't get some sort of prize or something from Delta.

cre95 May 11, 2021 8:53 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33242298)

Free entrance to the club? What if they ask non-employees? Would it be first-come, first allowed entry :p

Beltway2A May 11, 2021 9:02 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 33243054)
Asking for volunteers to clean, does not mean they are not paying them. When I worked my first job at an Old Navy back when I was 17, they asked for volunteers who wanted to clean the bathroom when the custodian broke his hip. Didn't mean they weren't being paid just that they were volunteering for the job. Those who did it ( I wasn't one) actually got a 100 dollar gift card for clothing that wasn't announced.

It's a job that doesn't fall under their job description, I wouldn't be surprised if those who did volunteer to take on the extra duty wouldn't get some sort of prize or something from Delta.

I agree that they're likely paid, but this whole thing does reek of desperation. Especially contacting pilots, I would be shocked if the union didn't put an end to that nonsense immediately. Other employees are unfortunately out of luck and probably could be assigned to the task.

MSPeconomist May 11, 2021 9:44 am

Could this be a way to allow crew who are sitting at the airport on reserve duty to pick up some extra money or other goodies instead of just sitting and waiting?

Others who have had their hours (and income) cut might appreciate this opportunity rather than seeing DL hire more staff for these positions or pay for outsourced contract workers.

Still, I wouldn't expect most volunteers to be efficient cleaners.

BTW, I had assumed that SC cleaners were outsourced positions, like the food service SC workers seem to be.

DenverBrian May 11, 2021 9:53 am

-FlyerBeek

What's the source of this story?

MSPeconomist May 11, 2021 9:56 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 33243317)

It seems to be an email sent to a pilot friend of the OP, presumably not dated April 1st.

SuperG1955 May 11, 2021 11:21 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 33243317)

I find this story VERY difficult to believe.

dcadwell May 11, 2021 11:23 am

They are outsourced; the only DL workers are at the check-in counter.

MSPeconomist May 11, 2021 11:30 am

I wouldn't expect most pilots to be at all willing to help clean lounges.

In some organizations, volunteering to pitch in and help the employer would be viewed very favorably by management.