Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reuters: Boeing Offers Delta 40 737 MAX White Tails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reuters: Boeing Offers Delta 40 737 MAX White Tails

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
And Mr. Bastian confirms talks with Boeing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2820FD
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer

Here are the key quotes. I don't think this really tells us much -- these quotes are so open-ended. They could mean anything from "we'll take the 737Max if Boeing gives a little more on price" to "hey Airbus we are still thinking about the MAX so let's talk discounts and deferrals for our current and future order book"
"We're talking to Boeing about lots of different things, the Max included," Delta's chief executive told the Financial Times. (here)

“If there is an opportunity where we would feel comfortable acquiring the MAX we’d have no hesitation doing that,” Bastian added.
flyerCO and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
To me, a 737 MAX order from Delta is almost a sure thing. I realize things are tough right now but things will rebound. The planes that Delta has around that seat size (A320 and 737-800) aren't getting any younger. Ed and Delta love a good deal and I can only imagine the sweetheart deal Boeing is giving. I'm sure Delta would ask for outs if there is another accident where Boeing is at fault. I'm also sure Delta can get creative on financing so there isn't a big hit to the books right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a good mix of white tails and new builds. An order of around 100 makes sense to me. If I was a betting man, I'd place my money on an order announcement Q2 2021. The worst of COVID should be behind us, air traffic should see some recovery, and Boeing will be eager to get some noteworthy orders to show they are rebuilding trust.
DLASflyer and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Pip Carlson
To me, a 737 MAX order from Delta is almost a sure thing. I realize things are tough right now but things will rebound. The planes that Delta has around that seat size (A320 and 737-800) aren't getting any younger. Ed and Delta love a good deal and I can only imagine the sweetheart deal Boeing is giving. I'm sure Delta would ask for outs if there is another accident where Boeing is at fault. I'm also sure Delta can get creative on financing so there isn't a big hit to the books right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a good mix of white tails and new builds. An order of around 100 makes sense to me. If I was a betting man, I'd place my money on an order announcement Q2 2021. The worst of COVID should be behind us, air traffic should see some recovery, and Boeing will be eager to get some noteworthy orders to show they are rebuilding trust.
But what can Airbus offer on some A320neo’s?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer

Originally Posted by Duke787
Here are the key quotes. I don't think this really tells us much -- these quotes are so open-ended. They could mean anything from "we'll take the 737Max if Boeing gives a little more on price" to "hey Airbus we are still thinking about the MAX so let's talk discounts and deferrals for our current and future order book"
I think it fails into the "hey Airbus" logic. Airbus has no incentive to offer discounts if they know DL isn't going with Boeing.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Does Airbus have any "White Tails" like Boeing does? I figure there has got to be some 320s or 321s that have been cancelled by buyers.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
The MAX is 20% more efficient than A320ceos but the A319/A320ceos are 100% more paid off.
I'm not sure that means much. Look what they did to the 777 fleet. It was paid for but they got rid of them and bought new A350's that are just sitting around or going out with a handful of passengers.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm not sure that means much. Look what they did to the 777 fleet. It was paid for but they got rid of them and bought new A350's that are just sitting around or going out with a handful of passengers.
I'd look at the long haul fleet, especially the 777 very differently. Fuel efficiency for short haul aircraft is somewhat less important than for long haul aircraft, but really the thing that ended the 777's feasibility at Delta was its small fleet size comprised of two different engine types.
ethernal likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
What is the chance that Delta picks up the A320s that Alaska is getting rid of that they inherited from Virgin America? Article posted on main page of FT stated that AS was selling those A320s and replacing with the 737 Max9.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by jwhuffman
What is the chance that Delta picks up the A320s that Alaska is getting rid of that they inherited from Virgin America? Article posted on main page of FT stated that AS was selling those A320s and replacing with the 737 Max9.
Zero.

With some of their own fleet still parked up and new deliveries they can't defer; it would be silly to bring in used planes, that they would have to spend additional money outftting the cabin.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
None whatsoever. But it's remarkable just how healthy Alaska is right now. Delta is in shambles at SEA in comparison to Alaska's schedule. If Delta or any other airline with hubs on the east coast are forced into liquidation then it would be an excellent time for Alaska to expand.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:03 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
None whatsoever. But it's remarkable just how healthy Alaska is right now. Delta is in shambles at SEA in comparison to Alaska's schedule. If Delta or any other airline with hubs on the east coast are forced into liquidation then it would be an excellent time for Alaska to expand.
SEA is the center of the world for AS though, much like how ATL is the center of the world for DL. DL is going to have a lot more luck connecting folks on the west coast through its fortress hubs like SLC than having to share the market in SEA. Seems like the same deal in BOS.

I think DL is committed to SEA and BOS for the long-haul, but they're just not where the revenue is right now. As long as they can maintain their gate presence, they can fly whatever schedule fits the highest revenue model.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Any DL narrowbody additions from here on out will be A320neo family, 737 MAX and/or A220.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.