Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reuters: Boeing Offers Delta 40 737 MAX White Tails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

Boeing is reportedly offering Delta a great deal on 40 737 MAX that were ordered, produced and never delivered to other customers. Delta does not currently have any outstanding orders with The Boeing Company.

https://www.reuters.com/article/boei...-idUSKBN26M5JK
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Does DL even need another 40 MAXs right now with depressed traffic and the need the conserve cash? They have plenty of 737NGs and A320/321s.
SJC ORD LDR and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I assume this would be a straight swap in exchange for ending the 717 leases
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy (lol) Titanium/LTP
Originally Posted by Duke787
What does Boeing get out of that deal? Delta would need to pay to terminate the 717 leases early, not the other way around. Unless you mean that the 737MAX essentially inherit the 717 lease terms and Delta gets them instead of the 717s? Such a deal sounds too good to be true.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Wait so Delta stops paying on 91 undesirable airplanes early and gets 40 new ones for free? Boeing has made some mistakes lately but I don't think they would do that.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:24 pm

As an aside, I'm not sure I even understand why Boeing is shopping these around. I realize that there are a lot of various configuration options that make each airline's 737s unique, but given that Boeing has stopped the production for two years their backlog must be behind - even with the COVID order cancellations. I'd assume it'd be easier to re-allocate these to future delivery slots rather than shop them to new customers.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
What does Boeing get out of that deal? Delta would need to pay to terminate the 717 leases early, not the other way around. Unless you mean that the 737MAX essentially inherit the 717 lease terms and Delta gets them instead of the 717s? Such a deal sounds too good to be true.
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Wait so Delta stops paying on 91 undesirable airplanes early and gets 40 new ones for free? Boeing has made some mistakes lately but I don't think they would do that.
I’d assume that any deal between Boeing and DL would mean that Boeing would take off the early lease termination fee in exchange for DL paying and taking over new 737MAX.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’d assume that any deal between Boeing and DL would mean that Boeing would take off the early lease termination fee in exchange for DL paying and taking over new 737MAX.
And showing a vote of confidence toward the future of the MAX program.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:06 pm

Please no. One of the reasons why I chose Delta for my trips was because there were no such infamous planes.

I’ll not set my foot on these planes ever.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Please no. One of the reasons why I chose Delta for my trips was because there were no such infamous planes.

I’ll not set my foot on these planes ever.
And would the cabin config be better than the 737-9? Customers don't want to fly them, would the MAX be better?
cmd320 and ryw like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Originally Posted by allseas1586
And showing a vote of confidence toward the future of the MAX program.
+1. Boeing gets a big vote of confidence from DL and DL gets out of their 717 leases for free and acquires 737Max for what I would assume is pennies on the dollar.

DL also now has a nice bargaining chip with Airbus in discussing delays to A220, A321, A339, and A359 deliveries. I doubt DL actually takes these 737Max, too much headache IMO, but they could certainly leverage it into more palatable delivery timeframe from Airbus for what they've already got on order.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
There's no way Delta buys them. Delta is transitioning to an all Airbus fleet. They have only retired Boeing aircraft and they announced even more retirements to 2025. The only fleet left will likely be the 739.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
And would the cabin config be better than the 737-9? Customers don't want to fly them, would the MAX be better?
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
There's no way Delta buys them. Delta is transitioning to an all Airbus fleet. They have only retired Boeing aircraft and they announced even more retirements to 2025. The only fleet left will likely be the 739.
They’d certainly have to configure a MAX 9 better. Maybe lie flats for the transcon markets?

How easily could they reconfigure the 739’s? Putting in a midcabin lavatory and expanding C+ would be a very positive start. I’m not sure how they can work on the air flow system, but UA doesn’t seem to have as bad of issues with theirs.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586
They’d certainly have to configure a MAX 9 better. Maybe lie flats for the transcon markets?

How easily could they reconfigure the 739’s? Putting in a midcabin lavatory and expanding C+ would be a very positive start. I’m not sure how they can work on the air flow system, but UA doesn’t seem to have as bad of issues with theirs.
Why would they have to? My guess is they keep the cabin identical (obviously this is a guess into an unlikely hypothetical that Delta actually procures these frames). Delta loves consistency of experience (even if that experience is poor) and it would reduce expenses since everything is identical. What's not to love?

It can of course be done (see: the 757) but most lieflats on narrowbodies today are designed for the A320 frame which is a bit wider than the 737.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:38 pm

Sorry - double post. Please ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.