Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL considering increasing F capacity to 75% (survey email)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL considering increasing F capacity to 75% (survey email)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
It sounds like you two are arguing two different issues. One is what the policy should be. The other is how one can best use the system as it currently exists.

As to what the policy should be, I think a good interpretation of the distancing policy would be one passenger per pair of seats unless it's a traveling companion. When it comes to how to use the current situation to create maximum distancing, the scenario someone laid out of booking 1/2B and then sitting in 1A/B seems ideal. You end up with a bulkhead in front and an empty row behind, so your closest fellow passengers are in row 3 behind or across the aisle (hopefully in 1D).
No. IMO the policy should be relaxed to sell more seats in the cabin, especially when customers plan to sit together. I honestly couldn't care less about the seats behind me or across the aisle being empty, I think that's just a bit paranoid for someone who has chosen to board an aircraft with other people to begin with.

I enjoy the middle seat in C+ being open from the point of view that it gives me little reason to pay for F now that there's essentially no service up there anyway, and in terms of hard product, the difference between domestic F and a good C+ seat with the middle blocked is negligible. I am not under any kind of impression that I'm somehow safer with the middle seat blocked.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I thought they were limiting capacity until the end of September? I booked a flight in F (back in April) for the end of this month, LAX-PVR. My first flight since March...booked F to have more room/distance between other passengers (I'm flying solo). Chose 1B on both flights. On the outbound, seat next to me blocked, 1 C/D blocked for FA's?, but row behind me occupied, then row 3 empty, then row 4 occupied. On the return, every seat in F is occupied except the one next to me and 1 C/D. That, plus the reduction in service has me rethinking this trip also. Fewer people = fewer chance of virus concentrating enough to infect someone.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
On the return, every seat in F is occupied except the one next to me and 1 C/D.
Did they explain how that happened? They're supposed to still be limiting to 50%.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I believe he is looking at the seat map for a future flight that he booked rather than a recent trip. If the other rows all have one pax in each two seats, they will both show as unavailable. The seat next to him shows as available, allowing him to move to it. To others, both show as unavailable.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Justin026
I believe he is looking at the seat map for a future flight that he booked rather than a recent trip. If the other rows all have one pax in each two seats, they will both show as unavailable. The seat next to him shows as available, allowing him to move to it. To others, both show as unavailable.
I was looking at my trip, but I just realized that it’s been so long since I’ve flown that the seats I thought were occupied are open! I’m forgetting how to be a frequent flyer...lol
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
these were taken ~2.5 hours before scheduled departure time ... the first is from the “View Seats” link on a dummy booking; the second is from the “Seat” icon in my PNR

apparently they weren’t willing to sell 3A/B, but as a confirmed F passenger I could relocate there

the flight actually went out with 1C/D blocked for the FA, and pax in 1B, 2A, 2D, 3D, 4B, and 4D
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
apparently they weren’t willing to sell 3A/B, but as a confirmed F passenger I could relocate there

the flight actually went out with 1C/D blocked for the FA, and pax in 1B, 2A, 2D, 3D, 4B, and 4D
Was there someone in 3C? I believe 738s are capped at 7 in F, so the seat map looks right.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jrl767
these were taken ~2.5 hours before scheduled departure time ... the first is from the “View Seats” link on a dummy booking; the second is from the “Seat” icon in my PNR

The reason why they won’t sell 3A/B is because according to the seat map, a couple is already sitting in 3C/D and both pax count against the FC cap, so they’ve already reached the 7 pax limit. IMO it makes no since why someone could not safely sit in 3A in this senario, but I guess we can blame DLs IT limitations.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
similar seating scenario on 6 Aug on a 16F AS 739 (with pax in all four seats in Row 2, as well as 3F) ... I was put on the flight at ~T-25 and was upgraded into 3A
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sethb
Did they explain how that happened? They're supposed to still be limiting to 50%.
All my DL flights have had a 50% cap in F
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by aacar
Was there someone in 3C? I believe 738s are capped at 7 in F, so the seat map looks right.
Flying a 739 yesterday DEN-DTW, your statement and analysis seem to be correct, based on our experience. We booked seats next to each other, and a 2 seat side of the aisle went empty as a result. Of course, YMMV as things evolve going forward...
kthomas likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Here is an update from Delta.

Looks like F continues at 50% through the end of October except regional jets will be 67%.

Delta One goes to full capacity at October 1st.

https://news.delta.com/more-space-ho...s-january-2021
kthomas and HaleiwaFlyer like this.

Last edited by DiverDave; Aug 20, 2020 at 11:14 am Reason: edited for first class and delta one to be consistent with thread topic.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Here is an update from Delta.

Looks like F continues at 50% through the end of October except regional jets will be 67%.

Delta One goes to full capacity at October 1st.

https://news.delta.com/more-space-ho...s-january-2021
Makes sense. 1x2 on regionals shouldn't really bother anyone nor should full capacity on seats that are generally well divided.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:17 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Makes sense. 1x2 on regionals shouldn't really bother anyone nor should full capacity on seats that are generally well divided.
My gut feeling is that travelers who need to fly won't stop flying Delta even if they go full capacity in F right now.

People who are afraid to fly, will continue to postpone their trips.

All of the AA flights that I have took, are either full, or only 1-2 seat less than full for F. Includes 787, A319, or 737s.
kthomas likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wchinchen
My gut feeling is that travelers who need to fly won't stop flying Delta even if they go full capacity in F right now.
Agreed, AA and UA are already booking as much as they can so they aren't really viable alternatives for those wanting seats blocked in F, so if you have to fly, where else do you go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.