Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL considering increasing F capacity to 75% (survey email)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL considering increasing F capacity to 75% (survey email)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Probably, we "get bogged down in semantics" because words mean things.
Okay?

Let me see if I understand your position. Delta is currently not letting people traveling together book adjacent seats in first. I understand that this is changing - I got the email last week, too. But for now, that's how it is.

So, for now, If my wife and I are traveling together, and I book 1A for me and 2A for her, then 1B and 2B are blocked/go out empty. That seems to be OK with you. But if she moves to sit next to me during the flight, filling 1B, but leaving 2AB empty, that becomes a "ridiculous demand to want other rows in the cabin blocked on a commercial aircraft"?

Are you hard of thinking?

It is really starting to look like you just want make up your own facts so you can argue against them.
I never said that an SO (or realistically anyone for that matter) shouldn't be allowed to move to an adjacent seat so long as both seat mates agree to that.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Okay?

I never said that an SO (or realistically anyone for that matter) shouldn't be allowed to move to an adjacent seat so long as both seat mates agree to that.
This is literally the exact scenario that you have been arguing against.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is literally the exact scenario that you have been arguing against.
Not at all, I'm saying that additional seats should not be blocked.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:54 pm

Not at all, I'm saying that additional seats should not be blocked.
Who is saying that they should???

I am starting to think that you are reading a different thread, and then commenting on this one...
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who is saying that they should???

I am starting to think that you are reading a different thread, and then commenting on this one...
The originally quoted post stating they wanted the row behind to remain blocked.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
See, this situation is precisely why I am willing to pay for F. If both my wife and I book, and we choose seats 1B and 2B, we would have two rows; we could then sit in 1A/1B once aloft and actually maintain multiple feet of separation in every direction throughout most of the flight.

If Delta forces dual bookings to sit together in an attempt to pack more people into the cabin, it makes an F booking less valuable if you're traveling as a group.

I understand front line employees probably get a lot of complaints from elites who see empty rows and are frustrated at not getting an upgrade, but right now that's the entire value proposition of the F cabin.
The originally quoted post stating they wanted the row behind to remain blocked.
Where does it say that????
BenA likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where does it say that????
The first sentence of what you quoted?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:43 pm

The first sentence of what you quoted?
I'm done. You're just being obtuse on purpose. Have a nice day. I will cede you the last word.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm done. You're just being obtuse on purpose. Have a nice day. I will cede you the last word.
I'm not sure where your confusion lies. OP likes having two rows of F to their own party because it creates the allure of safety having no one seated behind them. While it's wonderful that makes them feel safer, the reality is that it's silly for DL to be sending out so many empty seats that could just as easily be filled with other paying customers if they required people of the same household to sit next to one another. Yes, I'm sure most would agree they'd rather not be seated next to a stranger at this point (or realistically at any point) but I think extending that concern to those seated behind you is a bit too much when you're choosing to fly on a commercial aircraft.

I'm by no stretch a DL apologist and I'm rarely the first one to go to the defense of any airline, however in this case DL is justified in trying to sell those additional seats IMO.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
While it's wonderful that makes them feel safer, the reality is that it's silly for DL to be sending out so many empty seats that could just as easily be filled with other paying customers if they required people of the same household to sit next to one another.
I'm not sure how DL could possibly *require* people to sit next to each other.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacar
I'm not sure how DL could possibly *require* people to sit next to each other.
I'm not really sure how that would work either to be honest, which is why I'm skeptical as to what their plans are to sell 75% of the F cabin and how they decide who sits where. Honestly I think it would make more sense to just go to 100% like AA and UA have done.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
No one is saying that Delta should require two passengers on the same PNR to sit next to each other, but if they choose to do so, then let at least one person sit in the row behind them that is now empty because 2B moved to 1B to be with the spouse.

And in another scenario that I have frustratingly experienced twice now, if a couple are 1 and 2 on the upgrade list, and there is only 1 seat left in the reduced inventory available secondary to the 50% rule, and consequently only one on the upgrade list can clear because of the 50% F rule, override the rule, clear #2 in addition to #1 , with the provision that #2 sit next to #1 . That does not impact anyone else in that cabin in any meaningful way but sure rewards diamonds traveling together.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
And in another scenario that I have frustratingly experienced twice now, if a couple are 1 and 2 on the upgrade list, and there is only 1 seat left in the reduced inventory available secondary to the 50% rule, and consequently only one on the upgrade list can clear because of the 50% F rule, override the rule, clear #2 in addition to #1 , with the provision that #2 sit next to #1 . That does not impact anyone else in that cabin in any meaningful way but sure rewards diamonds traveling together.
Or a diamond traveling with a non-diamond.
Justin026 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
No one is saying that Delta should require two passengers on the same PNR to sit next to each other, but if they choose to do so, then let at least one person sit in the row behind them that is now empty because 2B moved to 1B to be with the spouse.

I would be furious if a GA attempted to do this. Currently, an F ticket purchase includes two adjacent seats worth of space by policy. What the passenger does with that space once onboard is up to them, but those seats are paid for and should not be resold.

I also strongly object to the concept you propose in the second scenario; every additional person represents risk, and upgrading an additional person increases the risk for all in a meaningful way (even for those who remain in coach, because it means Delta gets to sell another seat on the plane that previously couldn't be sold). There is no reason upgrades should be treated differently than paid tickets here, and Delta has currently made a clear guarantee that they will not fill the cabin past 50%, even if passengers choose to sit next to each other.

If Delta starts playing these games, they might as well give up on the distancing guarantee entirely. This is something you either commit to or don't do at all; the second people start seeing it be inconsistently enforced, it carries no value.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm not sure where your confusion lies. OP likes having two rows of F to their own party because it creates the allure of safety having no one seated behind them. While it's wonderful that makes them feel safer, the reality is that it's silly for DL to be sending out so many empty seats that could just as easily be filled with other paying customers if they required people of the same household to sit next to one another. Yes, I'm sure most would agree they'd rather not be seated next to a stranger at this point (or realistically at any point) but I think extending that concern to those seated behind you is a bit too much when you're choosing to fly on a commercial aircraft.

I'm by no stretch a DL apologist and I'm rarely the first one to go to the defense of any airline, however in this case DL is justified in trying to sell those additional seats IMO.
It sounds like you two are arguing two different issues. One is what the policy should be. The other is how one can best use the system as it currently exists.

As to what the policy should be, I think a good interpretation of the distancing policy would be one passenger per pair of seats unless it's a traveling companion. When it comes to how to use the current situation to create maximum distancing, the scenario someone laid out of booking 1/2B and then sitting in 1A/B seems ideal. You end up with a bulkhead in front and an empty row behind, so your closest fellow passengers are in row 3 behind or across the aisle (hopefully in 1D).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.