Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Report: Delta considering trading 717s to Boeing for 737MAX jets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: Delta considering trading 717s to Boeing for 737MAX jets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Except they keep finding certification issues beyond MCAS. Like wiring.
The wiring issue is a particularly poor choice of argument for a revert back to the 737NG, because it affects both models. The wiring is completely unchanged between the NG and the MAX; the compliance issue stems from tighter standards for new designs than were enforced when the 737NG was certified.

https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraf...-boeing-missed

https://aviationnews.online/2020/01/...-versions-too/

This is a great example of why the 737MAX will be the safest airplane flying when it returns to the skies - the Eye of Sauron is reviewing every little scrap of the design in great detail, a level of scrutiny that very few commercial airliner models have recently faced, and even potential issues that have not come up in decades of commercial service are being found and corrected.
readywhenyouare and Newman55 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This makes no sense for multiple reasons, but the number 1 and most important is that 717s are much smaller than any of the 737MAX aircraft and fill a completely different role. This would make much more sense if it was DL looking to dump 717s in favor of more A220s.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Now, I hate 737s because of narrow seats and terrible airflow (partly Delta's configuration, partly under-powered ground AC systems) - but it will be foolish to avoid the 737MAX for safety reasons.
As much as I hate Delta's 739's for the same reason, a little USB $5 fan makes it a lot more bearable. I do try to get on a 738 before a 739 but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy (lol) Titanium/LTP
Originally Posted by seowitz
As much as I hate Delta's 739's for the same reason, a little USB $5 fan makes it a lot more bearable. I do try to get on a 738 before a 739 but sometimes it's unavoidable.
That's a really smart idea... where do you clip them on / put them? Do you have any recommendations?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
That's a really smart idea... where do you clip them on / put them? Do you have any recommendations?
I don't own one so don't have a brand recommendation, but I've looked into them. You should be able to plug it into the USB port on the seatback IFE on a plane like the 739.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by seowitz
This has saved my life on some foreign carriers, especially AF. Have to take it out for takeoff/landing, but it plugs right into the USB port which IFEs usually have.
ARTIC Portable USB Fan ARTIC Portable USB Fan
ryw and ethernal like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I use one that exactly resembles these: Mini USB Fan.Personal Portable Pocket Fan.Mini Fan for Mini humidifier/Power Bank/Library/Cinema/Office/Outdoor Traveling/Camping/Fishing【4 Pack 】Black+White+Blue+Green
Amazon Amazon

I like it because the stem bends to aim the air and because the fan blades detach from the body so it collapses down into the space of a couple pens or pencils. I keep one in the amenity kit I take onboard every flight and usually operate it from a portable battery pack when an outlet in the seat isn’t conveniently located.
ethernal likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I look forward to flying on the Max. But Delta will not order it. They've got hundreds of Airbus already on order. Delta will purchase from Boeing around the same time Satan buys a snowmobile.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
It's very simple, we ALL have the power. An airline that uses the 737MAX is simply jeopardizing people's life - such airline will never get my business. Vote with your wallet.
The DC-10 had more issues than the Max and no one avoided flying on it after returning to service. As someone else pointed out, all planes have many issues.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
On a related note, Boeing Looks To Reimagine The 757 & 767 In Place Of NMA. Delta was initially interested in the NMA/797 before everything changed.

-J.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
On a related note, Boeing Looks To Reimagine The 757 & 767 In Place Of NMA. Delta was initially interested in the NMA/797 before everything changed.

-J.
If they re-engined and updated the 757 there is no other narrowbody that could match its performance. It's one of the best aircraft ever built. But I know the tooling and supply chain is long gone. I'm not sure how easy it would be to bring it back.
cmd320 and ryw like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If they re-engined and updated the 757 there is no other narrowbody that could match its performance. It's one of the best aircraft ever built. But I know the tooling and supply chain is long gone. I'm not sure how easy it would be to bring it back.
I'm sure they have the plans or drawings archived somewhere. They could probably make newer, more efficient (?) tooling. It might not be exactly the same as the 757 but it would be smart if they could keep it on the same type rating the way the MAX is with the 737 family.

-J.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I'm sure they have the plans or drawings archived somewhere. They could probably make newer, more efficient (?) tooling. It might not be exactly the same as the 757 but it would be smart if they could keep it on the same type rating the way the MAX is with the 737 family.

-J.
A decade of blunders indeed. Hindsight is 20/20, the decision to shutter the 757 and go with the 737Max made sense in a vacuum but looking back, imagine if they'd simply gone with a 757NEO (plus some 787-related efficiency improvements) and focused on a clean sheet for the 737.

Or instead of driving the CS100/CS300 to Airbus, they had just bought it for Boeing (or partnered with them) and had a strong play design they could build on for the smaller end of the 737 market.

Both a decade of blunders and a decade of arrogance. I like to think if they'd kept Alan Mulally instead of passing him over, they wouldn't have wasted the decade and been in the position they are in today.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The DC-10 had more issues than the Max and no one avoided flying on it after returning to service. As someone else pointed out, all planes have many issues.
The DC-10 was also designed and developed in an era where accidents were more acceptable. Aviation technology at that time was progressing at an astounding rate and there were definitely unforeseen challenges with different types and sizes of aircraft and the technologies associated with them. Despite this, the public's confidence in the DC-10 was very shaken following AA191. When the aircraft were returned to service AA made it a point to remove the "DC-10" branding on the outside of the aircraft as well.

The whole issue of Boeing and the 737MAX leaves a much more sour taste for a number of reasons, but primarily for a company like Boeing in the year 2015, they simply should have known better (and they did, they just didn't care). While the DC-10 had numerous issues at the time aircraft manufacturers really didn't know any better because many of those lessons just hadn't been learned yet. Today they have which makes this a very different situation.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
remember also that at the time of the AA191 accident (May 1979), public access to information -- both accurate and, shall we say, less so -- was orders of magnitude less immediate and widespread than it is today; short of paying for ad space in a newspaper or magazine, writing a letter to the editor or an article for publication, or participating in a technical or academic conference, there was essentially no way for an individual to get their opinion in front of more than a few people at a time
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.