Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Darn, looks like my 6/14 D1 transcon missed the "early June" restoration of D1 meal service by one day! How is 6/15 considered early June?

-FlyerBeek
itsabravenewworld likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
My December JFK-CUN flight (1583 miles) shows lunch, and my CUN-DTW flight (1476 miles) shows snacks, so I'd say the cutoff is 1500. I presume Mexico and Caribbean destinations are considered equivalent to domestic in terms of cabin service?
Old May 27, 2021, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
My December JFK-CUN flight (1583 miles) shows lunch, and my CUN-DTW flight (1476 miles) shows snacks, so I'd say the cutoff is 1500. I presume Mexico and Caribbean destinations are considered equivalent to domestic in terms of cabin service?
Yes, Mexico and Caribbean are marketed as FC and thus have the same service standards as domestic. I think there may have been some minor differences back when they were marketed as "Business" flights, but I don't believe there's any difference these days. As I mentioned above, MSP-MIA is 1501 miles and shows meal service while DTW-SLC is 1481 and does not. Wonder if there are any flights that are exactly 1500 miles on the nose? The closest I could get without going over is MSP-FLL (no meals) at 1487. MSP-ONT is 1494 miles, but hasn't been flown for years.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Old May 27, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
We booked a return flight yesterday (HNL-ATL) in Delta One, late July. It has Dinner, Breakfast, Snacks and Drinks listed for meals. Hopefully that's what we'll truly get.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by jtrue28
We booked a return flight yesterday (HNL-ATL) in Delta One, late July. It has Dinner, Breakfast, Snacks and Drinks listed for meals. Hopefully that's what we'll truly get.
Sounds like that service never went away, ATL/MSP - HNL flights have retained service. People have commented that it 'it is not true D1' and more standard FC from a catering perspective - no menus, no courses, all one one tray kinda thing. Not sure if that changes at any of these dates or not..?
Old May 27, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by jiggs
Sounds like that service never went away, ATL/MSP - HNL flights have retained service. People have commented that it 'it is not true D1' and more standard FC from a catering perspective - no menus, no courses, all one one tray kinda thing. Not sure if that changes at any of these dates or not..?
the meals are comparable to like a BOS-SLC segment pre-covid. No mixed nuts either. They replaced the arrival meal with cold sandwiches and cold oatmeal. But it's still marketed as "fine dining experience"/D1.

To be clear, it's essentially the former medium-haul service on flights like BOS-SLC or ATL-SFO

On the international front, Premium Select is apparently getting the same meal (and amenity kit) that's given in the Main Cabin
Old May 29, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Speaking of competitors, Southwest has cancelled the return of alcohol onboard due to number of passenger compliance/violence incidents recently.

Last edited by DLASflyer; May 29, 2021 at 8:54 am
Old May 29, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by strickerj
I hope this is just temporary. It should be back to 900 miles or at least 1,000 (2.5 hours is long enough in my opinion for some sort of tray service even if just a cold sandwich). When people pay these fares (I have not noticed F being much cheaper than before outside of a handful of routes), it is part of the service expectation.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Speaking of competitors, Southwest has cancelled the return of alcohol onboard due to number of passenger compliance/violence incidents recently.
I'm not sure what they think this is going to accomplish. Clearly not having alcohol on board didn't help these situations, perhaps if people have a drink or two it'll calm them down a bit.
Aloha1 and strickerj like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by demkr
Wonder if that means the cutoff will be larger than 1500. Oh well, baby steps...
Could it be the time of day? For domestic flights that aren't too long and got meals, there was a dead zone with only snack food, IIRC for departures between 1:30 and 4:00 pm and again after 8:00 pm.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm not sure what they think this is going to accomplish. Clearly not having alcohol on board didn't help these situations, perhaps if people have a drink or two it'll calm them down a bit.
What is ironic is that the first drinks options DL brought back after suspending service was only alcohol and nothing else (Beer or Wine).
Aloha1 and cmd320 like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:42 am

What's the excuse for tiny water bottles? It's hard to see smaller bottles as a covid safety measure.
nycflyer124 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jb1012xna
I have a trip to ANC booked in F and ATL-ANC in September is showing Snacks, Drinks, Lunch, Snacks, in that order. The return is showing the same except Dinner where Lunch is. Was curious what this was going to show as I assume it'll be the longest non-D1 domestic flight in the system.
How far is ATL-HNL? (It's D1, as is MSP-HNL.)

Does DL still operate flights to Guam?
Old May 29, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by cmd320
How many minis can fit in a TSA approved quart size bag and be mixed into a soda or water bought at Hudson News inside security? Not that I'd ever have any experience with that, but I'm just saying....
Old May 29, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JAXPax
How many minis can fit in a TSA approved quart size bag and be mixed into a soda or water bought at Hudson News inside security? Not that I'd ever have any experience with that, but I'm just saying....
At least a dozen, but I will say the glass Bombay Sapphire minis make quite a racket if you don't have PreCheck and have to get your plastic bag out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.