Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Not positive but this probably explains it better than I can: https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...erage/overview
Here is the full text from the March 31st announcement which is linked on the page (and has been posted here before). There haven't been further updates since March 31st.

" In early June, customers flying in Delta One or First Class on select domestic coast-to-coast flights will see hot food options return, and First Class customers on other key U.S. routes will enjoy fresh boxed meals beginning in early July."
Old May 13, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by cmd320
He’s a lying coward trying to pinch pennies? That’s the only explanation I have.
Agree. That's why as a shareholder I voted no to keeping him on the BOD, for what that's worth.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Apparently United is taking the lead and is returning hot meals to longer domestic flights, in addition to certain shorter hub to hub flights, starting next month. (This is in addition to the premium transcons, which have been serving a modified one tray hot meal since the cuts started last year.) Will be interesting to see how DL and AA respond- though I imagine any changes are going to take some time to actually implement because of supplier/catering contractor arrangements.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
United is also well ahead of the rest and making it super easy to order a covid test for return the US that you take with you on your trip. Delta... Crickets.
BigFishDave and cmd320 like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by xliioper
Here is the full text from the March 31st announcement which is linked on the page (and has been posted here before). There haven't been further updates since March 31st.

" In early June, customers flying in Delta One or First Class on select domestic coast-to-coast flights will see hot food options return, and First Class customers on other key U.S. routes will enjoy fresh boxed meals beginning in early July."
Still nothing on mid-con (DTW/MSP to west coast or SLC to east coast) then?

Originally Posted by diniasi
D1 meal on DL143 AMS-SEA on May 10th. The soup was good, no idea what it was cause there are no menus anymore. We turned around after about an hour and 20 minutes (no water on the plane ), about 20 minutes after this meal was served, then spent another 90 minutes at the gate, while we weren't allowed to leave the plane, filling the plane up and cooling the brakes because it landed heavy, then flew to Seattle for a total of 14 hours on the plane. They didn't restock food, so we got this meal at hour 1 in the flight, and a lunch (small hamburger) at hour 13. The snack basket was very light, just some chips and some small bars. Heaven help the folks in economy.
I'm not that old, and I remember when this was a domestic coach meal.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This flight never really had the full D1 service even pre-COVID so I kept my expectations low. I also used a RUC for it and this flight would have been better than the alternative via LAX which would have been snack boxes galore. The beef tenderloin was fine and was actually pretty good but serving a wrapped cold sandwich for the pre-arrival meal is pathetic. They should have offered at least a warm heated sandwich as the cold sandwich offered was basically inedible with how cold the bread was.
Same exact meal I had on ATL-HNL a couple weeks ago. The main meal was fine but that pre-arrival service is so, so bad. My sandwich was also inedible.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by diniasi
D1 meal on DL143 AMS-SEA on May 10th. The soup was good, no idea what it was cause there are no menus anymore. We turned around after about an hour and 20 minutes (no water on the plane ), about 20 minutes after this meal was served, then spent another 90 minutes at the gate, while we weren't allowed to leave the plane, filling the plane up and cooling the brakes because it landed heavy, then flew to Seattle for a total of 14 hours on the plane. They didn't restock food, so we got this meal at hour 1 in the flight, and a lunch (small hamburger) at hour 13. The snack basket was very light, just some chips and some small bars. Heaven help the folks in economy.
If this were a domestic F meal I’d say it looks pretty decent. For D1…
Old May 13, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Deleted
Old May 14, 2021, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I assume the meal included a dessert but not an appetizer. PreCOVID-19, D1 TATL/TPAC meals had good (and somewhat creative) appetizers. I also enjoyed the cheese, crackers, and fruit more than the desserts.

The select FC flights to get the *fresh* boxed meal (salad and/or cold sandwich?) should include the longer hub-hub flights (maybe the 900 mile criterion) and business oriented routes to the extent that business travel and corporate contracts still matter to DL. I'd add most Hawaii and Alaska routes to the list too, since they're generally long, although time-of day rules would eliminate many of the Alaska flights.
Old May 14, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume the meal included a dessert but not an appetizer. PreCOVID-19, D1 TATL/TPAC meals had good (and somewhat creative) appetizers. I also enjoyed the cheese, crackers, and fruit more than the desserts.

The select FC flights to get the *fresh* boxed meal (salad and/or cold sandwich?) should include the longer hub-hub flights (maybe the 900 mile criterion) and business oriented routes to the extent that business travel and corporate contracts still matter to DL. I'd add most Hawaii and Alaska routes to the list too, since they're generally long, although time-of day rules would eliminate many of the Alaska flights.
"Should" is the key word here. I would not be surprised if Alaska routes received meals since DL is competing against AS. I would be surprised if Hawaii routes got meals since DL always gave those routes the worst equipment and worst meals, because Delta's attitude under Ed was (and I doubt Ed has changed his mind) its Ma and Pa kettle on those flights that booked the cheapest ticket on Expedia, they don't know no difference anyhow, and it doesn't matter what their experience is because next time they are going to book the cheapest ticket again regardless of how good or bad the experience was.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The Situation
"Should" is the key word here. I would not be surprised if Alaska routes received meals since DL is competing against AS. I would be surprised if Hawaii routes got meals since DL always gave those routes the worst equipment and worst meals, because Delta's attitude under Ed was (and I doubt Ed has changed his mind) its Ma and Pa kettle on those flights that booked the cheapest ticket on Expedia, they don't know no difference anyhow, and it doesn't matter what their experience is because next time they are going to book the cheapest ticket again regardless of how good or bad the experience was.
Yet DL *sells* a lot of D1/FC tickets on the Hawaii flights.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, strictly for market research purposes I decided to try the TipTop marg and old fashioned. I can say I really did not prefer the marg. Tasted of bad tequila, artificial juice, and burned hard going down. The old fashioned is drinking much nicer, an orange twist and a little dash of brown sugar would be nice and cut it a little bit because it’s definitely strong.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: DL
No desert, we received the rock hard mini-ice cream in lieu of desert.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Well, strictly for market research purposes I decided to try the TipTop marg and old fashioned. I can say I really did not prefer the marg. Tasted of bad tequila, artificial juice, and burned hard going down. The old fashioned is drinking much nicer, an orange twist and a little dash of brown sugar would be nice and cut it a little bit because it’s definitely strong.
When I was a kid, an old fashioned would served with a small wedge of orange and a cherry.
Old May 14, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Flew IAH-DTW a couple of days ago, in F, departing at 4p, on a CRJ-900. "Dinner" was a snack box. No other option on this 1075 mile flight. On the DTW-LGA-IAH return yesterday, again on CRJ-900's but in C+ when my RUC didn't clear on both legs. On DTW-LGA, I asked for a Woodford but was told only beer and wine in C+. That didn't sound right, but didn't argue. On the LGA-IAH segment, departing at 7:20p, I again asked for Woodford and was served a double w/o question. So, it looks like the DTW-LGA crew was misinformed. BTW, I was able to see into the F cabin and, on this 1400 mile dinner time flight, they were served the same snack box that I received from IAH-DTW! No hot option, or even a sandwich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.