Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
​​​​​I posted the DOT's industrywide policy, which you ignored. I am sorry you won't acknowledge the incorrectness of your statements.

You stated that "the law" requires 7-day refunds.
It does not.

If you are pivoting to a different point, that Delta refunds are slower than other airlines, that appears to be quite a different point.

I have minimized my travel to account with public health guidance and the pandemic, so I don't have a large enough sample size to have personal experience about every airline in America.
​​​​​
What you provided does not let DL or other airlines not to refund within longer than 7 days after cancelation. The rule/law is 7 days. Period. Not sure why you are backing up DL not refunding after months to be perfectly fine. Credit cards won`t wave interest on those payments either. You just don`t make any sense,
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ACR2013
What you provided does not let DL or other airlines not to refund within longer than 7 days after cancelation. The rule/law is 7 days. Period. Not sure why you are backing up DL not refunding after months to be perfectly fine. Credit cards won`t wave interest on those payments either. You just don`t make any sense,
Yes it does. DOT as an enforcement agency has discretion just like a prosecuting attorney. DOT has publicly stated they won't be enforcing this except in egregious circumstances.

Contact your credit card company if it takes an excessive amount of time. They can change the effective date to account for interest.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 18, 2020 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am trying to educate you from your repeated misunderstanding of the law.
The only document you have pointed to is guidance, which does not have the force of law. There is no statute or notice and comment rule saying refunds must be issued within 7 days. Prior to the pandemic, DOT said it interpreted broader obligations under the law to require refunds within 7 days. After the pandemic, it has said it will base it's determination of whether an airline has complied with the law based on a totality of circumstances.

Nowhere have I said it was good or defended how long it has taken. I have pointed out your factually inaccurate statements.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So why does DL make it impossible to actually use the e-credits online? If I go through booking a flight and get to the payment page and try to use an ecredit from there, it shows my a list of credits but won't let me actually select any...

If I start by going to my credits/vouchers page in my profile then it shows all of my credits and will let me select just one, even though the ones I have should be combineable up to 3. Once I select any credit, the options to select others just goes away.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
So why does DL make it impossible to actually use the e-credits online? If I go through booking a flight and get to the payment page and try to use an ecredit from there, it shows my a list of credits but won't let me actually select any...

If I start by going to my credits/vouchers page in my profile then it shows all of my credits and will let me select just one, even though the ones I have should be combineable up to 3. Once I select any credit, the options to select others just goes away.
Seems about right for DL's IT services.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Maybe stop arguing on the internet, call Delta, and ask for your refund for crying out loud.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by rylan

Don't know why, but a simple phone call will fix your problems .... I have had the same experience, and PL line has issued/re-issued my tickets with eCredits half a dozen times in the past few weeks. Sometimes it took a minute, one time it took 15 minute (no idea why)
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its just frustrating since It shouldn't be necessary to call and tie up the phone line just to book a ticket with an ecredit from a previous canceled or changed one.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:01 am

Just off the phone, checking my "PENDING" refunds requested on July 22, and after HUCA thru a couple of different answers from agents, they claim to be currently processing June 10th week's requests... Don't know if they just make up the dates really...
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: DL FO
1) I booked a ticket with a companion cert. The outbound has already been flown but the return is for the monday after Thanksgiving. If I cancel, I assume the CC is lost... but is there any evidence of them issuing a new cert for a one-way?
2) I booked another ticket with another companion cert (itinerary has not begun). If I cancel, I know the cert will be redeposited. However, is it possible to use the flight credit in conjunction with the companion cert when I rebook? I know companion certs typically require payment with an Amex but curious if anyone has any experience with this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by hoth300
1) I booked a ticket with a companion cert. The outbound has already been flown but the return is for the monday after Thanksgiving. If I cancel, I assume the CC is lost... but is there any evidence of them issuing a new cert for a one-way?
2) I booked another ticket with another companion cert (itinerary has not begun). If I cancel, I know the cert will be redeposited. However, is it possible to use the flight credit in conjunction with the companion cert when I rebook? I know companion certs typically require payment with an Amex but curious if anyone has any experience with this.
This info is mine only and YMMV.As to #1 I think if you cancel a companion cert once half of the ticket has been flown there is no recourse. I don't think they will reissue you anything and that the ticket must be travelled in completion unless its not an issue of your own cancellation ie.. MX, etc..(even with the new guidelines). Again I might be 100% incorrect on this.

As to #2 I am not sure. Are you just trying to cancel to combine different certs together? Don't think that's a good idea but again never tried it and have no clue.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hoth300
You can rebook to another day or change to another set of flights (new fare must be ticketable with outbound fare and comply with rules for the certificate). If there's nothing that works, absent qualifying schedule change (one that allows refund) the certificate is gone.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Multiple questions for the group:

Background:
- USA-GRU
- Ticket purchased via an OTA in March of 2020 for travel in June of 2020.
- Basic Economy
- I opted to change the departure to November, no problems, no fare difference. Everything looked good.
- I've recently decided to change the departure again, to June of 2021. PNR has been updated to everything I asked for. OTA did not ask for fare difference. There had been multiple schedule changes and the latest one caused a misconnect in ATL.

Questions:
- The way I read the policy is that I should have been required to pay a fare difference since I moved the departure after 01-01-21. Correct? (I pulled up the ticket number on Saudia's website and it shows a price $1000+ more than what I originally paid.)
- When I check the receipt on Delta.com, it still shows my November travel dates, is this cause for concern? (OTA changed dates on Saturday, probably just need to give it more time to be reissued?)
- My ticket was Basic Economy, but now I'm showing main cabin, K and T, and I can select seats. Is this something I should be worried about?

My big concern is that the ticket wasn't properly corrected and I'm still scheduled to fly in November. I don't want the ticket canceled/forfeited because I didn't show up to fly when I didn't expect to be flying. Thoughts?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Multiple questions for the group:

Background:
- USA-GRU
- Ticket purchased via an OTA in March of 2020 for travel in June of 2020.
- Basic Economy
- I opted to change the departure to November, no problems, no fare difference. Everything looked good.
- I've recently decided to change the departure again, to June of 2021. PNR has been updated to everything I asked for. OTA did not ask for fare difference. There had been multiple schedule changes and the latest one caused a misconnect in ATL.

Questions:
- The way I read the policy is that I should have been required to pay a fare difference since I moved the departure after 01-01-21. Correct? (I pulled up the ticket number on Saudia's website and it shows a price $1000+ more than what I originally paid.)
- When I check the receipt on Delta.com, it still shows my November travel dates, is this cause for concern? (OTA changed dates on Saturday, probably just need to give it more time to be reissued?)
- My ticket was Basic Economy, but now I'm showing main cabin, K and T, and I can select seats. Is this something I should be worried about?

My big concern is that the ticket wasn't properly corrected and I'm still scheduled to fly in November. I don't want the ticket canceled/forfeited because I didn't show up to fly when I didn't expect to be flying. Thoughts?
Was there any codeshares involved? It's likely that you have two separate PNRs with DL in that case. One the original and one the correct new one that mstches the new ticket. It's also possible the OTA agent messed up and you have two DL PNR. again one the old and one the new.

Call DL on phone and ask them to see if you're currently booked on the new flight number/date. Dont give them a PNR, just the date/flight number that OTA says you're booked on. If they find you on that flight ask them for the DL PNR. As long as the flights on this PNR and your ticket match you're good.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Was there any codeshares involved? It's likely that you have two separate PNRs with DL in that case. One the original and one the correct new one that mstches the new ticket. It's also possible the OTA agent messed up and you have two DL PNR. again one the old and one the new.

Call DL on phone and ask them to see if you're currently booked on the new flight number/date. Dont give them a PNR, just the date/flight number that OTA says you're booked on. If they find you on that flight ask them for the DL PNR. As long as the flights on this PNR and your ticket match you're good.
All DL flights, no code-shares. I kind of have two PNR's; but one of them forwards me to the second one. I can use either and it pulls up the same ticket number on DL.com and AF.com, KL.com, etc. I was hesitant to call them as I don't want to draw attention to a mess up that saved me money, but maybe I need to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.