Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I plan to use my Skymiles for a friend (not me) to fly r/t direct SEA-LIH in October 2020. If the friend can no longer make the flight for whatever reason, are the miles mine to use for a year (any date up to +12 months, any route), forever associated with my friend and untouchable by me, or something else?
Normally miles for cancelled/refunded award tickets go back to the account they came from (i.e. yours); and potentially subject to a redeposit fee (if voluntary change) depending on *your* status at the time the redeposit request is made.

However during COVID I think I've seen at least one report of miles getting turned into a cash-value voucher in which case I have no idea but wouldn't be surprised if it got attached to your account or theirs either way. (Those might've involved miles+cash originally though, I forget)
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
KE operates into MLE - could be an option
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Data Point:

Requested Refund: May 25
Flight Date: July 23 (Flight cancelled in May)
Received Email Refund Approved: Aug 14
Credit Appeared on Card Statement: Aug 17
acrophobia likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:09 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Data point
Canceled ticket April 1 - Family of 4
One ticket came back in May 12
I called in June 23 about the other 3 - got the TRR numbers (ticket refund request)
Second ticket back in Aug 12
2 more missing so far and it is 120 days almost
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the preceding 1748 posts, but can anyone confirm that a change from a direct/non-stop to a connection qualifies for a refund (not credit). DL cancelled my BOS - MIA flight and put me on a BOS - JFK - MIA connection. Not the end of the world, but there are better options on other carriers, so I'd prefer to get the refund and book on someone else. Thanks,
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by ffI
Data point
Canceled ticket April 1 - Family of 4
One ticket came back in May 12
I called in June 23 about the other 3 - got the TRR numbers (ticket refund request)
Second ticket back in Aug 12
2 more missing so far and it is 120 days almost
Were all these on 1 PNR or multiple? Any multi-source payments in there somewhere? Combined with some other recent data points, it's like DL is using a random number generator to determine in which order refunds get processed.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:39 am

Has anyone received their gift card refund? It's been 2 weeks since Delta emailed me they would send it in another email.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bosman
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the preceding 1748 posts, but can anyone confirm that a change from a direct/non-stop to a connection qualifies for a refund (not credit). DL cancelled my BOS - MIA flight and put me on a BOS - JFK - MIA connection. Not the end of the world, but there are better options on other carriers, so I'd prefer to get the refund and book on someone else. Thanks,
Yes.
bosman likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Normally miles for cancelled/refunded award tickets go back to the account they came from (i.e. yours); and potentially subject to a redeposit fee (if voluntary change) depending on *your* status at the time the redeposit request is made.

However during COVID I think I've seen at least one report of miles getting turned into a cash-value voucher in which case I have no idea but wouldn't be surprised if it got attached to your account or theirs either way. (Those might've involved miles+cash originally though, I forget)
Those are miles and cash awards. They get refunded as a cash value voucher.

Normal mileage awards simply get redeposited into account they came from. Fee may or may not be charged depending on status/waivers in place at time of redeposit.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:38 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
Were all these on 1 PNR or multiple? Any multi-source payments in there somewhere? Combined with some other recent data points, it's like DL is using a random number generator to determine in which order refunds get processed.
1 PNR and 1 Credit Card
Refunded the DM account at once for points AND the taxes took a month for the DM acct
The other 3 were Gold, ,Silver and no status - but all miles were from DM acct
Old Aug 19, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
For my most recent set of refunds I've been waiting over a month.

Refunds I requested in March that had gift cards involved were processed in April and I received the separate e-mail at the same time as the refund e-mail.

Originally Posted by night718
Has anyone received their gift card refund? It's been 2 weeks since Delta emailed me they would send it in another email.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Peatisback
For my most recent set of refunds I've been waiting over a month.

Refunds I requested in March that had gift cards involved were processed in April and I received the separate e-mail at the same time as the refund e-mail.
Thanks. For your most recent set of refunds, do you mean that you've waited over a month since Delta notified you that you will receive the gift cards in a separate email?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Correct. I have not yet received the e-mail with the new gift card numbers/pins etc..

Despite what some agents told me the value did not go back to the original gift card numbers/pins

Originally Posted by night718
Thanks. For your most recent set of refunds, do you mean that you've waited over a month since Delta notified you that you will receive the gift cards in a separate email?
night718 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:21 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So booked LAX-AMS-OSL-AMS-LAX originally Dec 2019 for May 2020, which got rebooked in April 2020 to Sept 2020. Delta ticketed. So trying to rebooked in June 2021 now given the situation. There was a flight cancellation and greater than 90 minute changes in the new flights. Ideally we wanted to now open jaw it with the return from BRU instead. They offered no fare difference if we didn't change the destination, but had to pay the fare difference with return from BRU ($820 per person additional which is more than the original ticket). Anyway around this and just even exchange it?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by danger
I have a DL-issued three-sector international and domestic itinerary for December with no DL-operated flights, just Sky codeshares. I am considering whether to cancel and join the endless refund queue now, or wait and hope that there's a schedule change and change the dates to well into 2021, without a re-price.
Having not had any success with making a date change without a re-price because my travel is after 30 September, I'm wondering if I now might be eligible for a date change without re-pricing: my first flight was cancelled and I was moved to a new flight with a time difference of more than four hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.