Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dasani water

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As trite as the complaint is, I’ve seen it a lot over the years. “Dasani is tap water, it’s not high end, etc.” I guess growing up in Atlanta I never minded it.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Someone please rank bottled water in the order of quality please.

Aquapanna, Evian, Fiji, Voss, Arrowhead, Poland Spg, Crystal Springs, Dasai, Bon Aqua, Aquafinna.

What's the best? I can't tell much difference btwn the first 3. Never tried Voss.
I'm sure Bon Aqua, Aquafinna, Dasai are towards the bottom.
Worried about the really flimsy plastic that Arrowhead comes in... potential toxicity issues above certain storage temp.
Bottle waters can taste different. My favorite still water has long been Fiji. Poland Spring is fine. I have a long standing dislike for Evian (I would rather drink Dasani, Aquafina, Smartwater, whatever vs Evian).
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cre95
I guess you can always get a cup and fill it up in the restroom. I understand the quality may not be the greatest, though.
Is this sarcastic? For anyone else reading out there, never ever ever drink water from the plane bathroom sink.

It is not potable and absolutely not safe to drink.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You likely won’t get Dasani on DL flights ex UK. Coke launched Dasani in a blaze of publicity here around the same time as in the US. However several people became ill from drinking it. TV crews went to the plant and Dasani was ridiculed for being tap water with worse taste but added poison. The brand was immediately pulled and hasn’t been available here since.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
If American palates weren't so nothing-centered and vapidly oriented, and afraid of any actual genuine flavor experience (see: fast food and french fries) except for falling for what you get from adding phony chemicals from International Flavors & Fragrances to make it taste like perfume...
What an offensive comment. That must be why most of McDonald’s restaurants are located within the US - because nobody outside the US likes fast food?

If a product will cater to the masses, it needs to appeal to the masses. Period. Different strokes for different folks. Respect that (even if you disagree with it) instead of alienating and dividing, as you did above...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
4 pages of discussion on a first world problem, water.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Can’t really be done with the 3oz liquid issue.
No issues if purchased after security.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
You likely won’t get Dasani on DL flights ex UK.
Much like any other flight originating outside the US. DL would source a local water brand unless they have supplied on the inbound from the US.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ggonzaga
not at all, I would rather drink tap water than Dasani. Bottled water for me is Fiji or Aqua Panna, Dasani and Aquafina are nothing like them.
WFBF - Want Fiji Bring Fiji
Seriously though - it scores pretty poorly on blind comparative tastings. So does Evian fwiw.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Florida has issues with nasty tasting tap water. It may be perfectly safe (I read the pamphlet the county sends out every year about water system quality) but it's not enjoyable to drink. So our house has an under sink filter for drinking water and another filter for the line of the ice machine in order to get the funk out.

On the road, I'll go for Zephyrhills or Whole Foods' or Publix's store brand spring water or some other spring water if I don't have an unfiltered source.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I take Accutane and that medication dries my skin up so much especially during flights, but even then I refuse to drink water on board if it’s Dasani. I have a similar hatred for Aquafina although I haven’t seen those in airplanes. My protocol for drinking water at airports is to drink some before arrival, and then drink as much water from the big water containers at the Delta SkyClubs, AA Admirals Clubs, Centurion lounges. They’re tap water but at least it’s iced and served on a glass cup. I would bring water from home but as you all know you can’t bring water through TSA. I don’t always find nice branded water for sale in airports, and if I do not always is it chilled.
AA serves Dasani chilled at least, but on my DL flight I was given two small room temperature Dasani bottles. I couldn’t stand the sight of it and just left them in the seat back pocket. I’m bothered by Dasani but I do what I have to do to please my own needs so I go out of my way to drink water before the flight. I don’t mind doing this and was more curious than anything as to why airlines go with Dasani.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Repooc17
4 pages of discussion on a first world problem, water.
I get what you're saying, but in fact, water is anything but a first world problem!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Florida has issues with nasty tasting tap water. It may be perfectly safe (I read the pamphlet the county sends out every year about water system quality) but it's not enjoyable to drink. So our house has an under sink filter for drinking water and another filter for the line of the ice machine in order to get the funk out.

On the road, I'll go for Zephyrhills or Whole Foods' or Publix's store brand spring water or some other spring water if I don't have an unfiltered source.
I’m based in south Florida and I can totally relate. Many other states have much better tap water than us and I don’t trust it at all. Filtered tap water is the norm, never straight tap. Zephyrhills is the goto water for me when there’s no Fiji, Acqua Panna, etc etc. - for me Zephyrhills is what “normal water” should taste like. Fiji, Voss, etc are luxury waters and I recognize they aren’t sold for the mass consumers but they do taste above average. Voss isn’t really my thing but Fiji tastes good, Acqua Panna is amazing...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What an offensive comment. That must be why most of McDonald’s restaurants are located within the US - because nobody outside the US likes fast food?

If a product will cater to the masses, it needs to appeal to the masses. Period. Different strokes for different folks. Respect that (even if you disagree with it) instead of alienating and dividing, as you did above...
OP has a point. And the reality is that McDonald’s restaurants outside the US tend to offer very different quality products than those in the US.

I’m based in south Florida and I can totally relate. Many other states have much better tap water than us and I don’t trust it at all. Filtered tap water is the norm, never straight tap. Zephyrhills is the goto water for me when there’s no Fiji, Acqua Panna, etc etc. - for me Zephyrhills is what “normal water” should taste like. Fiji, Voss, etc are luxury waters and I recognize they aren’t sold for the mass consumers but they do taste above average. Voss isn’t really my thing but Fiji tastes good, Acqua Panna is amazing...
Exactly. In fact, tap water in Florida has been found in cases to promote cancer and other illnesses based on the chemicals added to make the water ‘drinkable’ as they say. The reality is that waters like Dasani and Aquafina are basically just local tap waters that have been filtered and bottled. I would never pay money for either of those products.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Coca Cola is why Dasani -- and you'll never see that change for Delta.

I assume B6 serves Aquafina after they switched to Pepsi.
Right now they serve something called Creekside Springs. Aquafina is supposed to come later this quarter.

As an aside, I don't know if I could fly an airline that serves Pepsi. It's inferior swill IMO.
krazykanuck and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Right now they serve something called Creekside Springs. Aquafina is supposed to come later this quarter.

As an aside, I don't know if I could fly an airline that serves Pepsi. It's inferior swill IMO.
+1. I was shocked when we had our one EK F redemption (during the old AS/EK redemption days) and the soda choices were all Pepsi products. Thankfully they had some other, better drink options available in F but I was shocked to see a premium ME3 airline going with Pepsi over Coke
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720
I get what you're saying, but in fact, water is anything but a first world problem!
well, it's not "water" in the general sense that's being discussed, but "the name on the bottled water served in the pointy end of the airplane is not fancy enough to pass my lips"
koreanair720 and kale73 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:59 am

I don’t always find nice branded water for sale in airports, and if I do not always is it chilled.
come on, in this very post you're talking about drinking water in skyclubs/centurion lounges, so we know you're not talking about cropduster airports out in the middle of nowhere where your options are truly constrained. Literally every airport Delta serves has multiple newsstand-type operations, all of which have coolers full of multiple different bottled waters.
steveholt and ElliottMB like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.