FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Dasani water (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2009114-dasani-water.html)

ggonzaga Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Dasani water

For the first time ever, or at least in a very very long time, I’m flying Delta. I usually fly American, but today I realized that this issue spans across all US airlines. Every single airline uses Dasani water. I don’t know about you guys, but I hate Dasani water with a passion. It’s disgusting, especially when I’m sitting in first class. Does anyone know why Dasani is the water brand of choice for Delta and other airlines?

Down3Green Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ggonzaga (Post 32072840)
Does anyone know why Dasani is the water brand of choice for Delta and other airlines?

Uh, because it's a Coca Cola brand and most airlines carry Coca Cola products?

WillBarrett_68 Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1776222-hall-rants-whats-most-random-pathetic-thing-you-can-complain-about.html

bubbashow Feb 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Bottled water is bottled water. Period

eneq Feb 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 32072899)

I disagree. Every brand has its own taste. Deer Park and Dasani taste vastly different IMO.

Down3Green Feb 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by eneq (Post 32072934)
I disagree. Every brand has its own taste. Deer Park and Dasani taste vastly different IMO.

Deer Park is actual spring water. Dasani is "Purified Water" (Pepsi's Auqafina is also 'purified')

sydneyracquelle Feb 14, 2020 2:17 pm

BYOW. Bring Your Own Water.

tennessetom Feb 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Yeah, stick to AA, when you sit in First on AA they don’t insult you with lowbrow water left on your seat!

ggonzaga Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 32072899)

not at all, I would rather drink tap water than Dasani. Bottled water for me is Fiji or Aqua Panna, Dasani and Aquafina are nothing like them.

WillBarrett_68 Feb 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ggonzaga (Post 32072997)
not at all, I would rather drink tap water than Dasani. Bottled water for me is Fiji or Aqua Panna, Dasani and Aquafina are nothing like them.

Dasani IS tap water, so there you go.

Duke787 Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Coca Cola is why Dasani -- and you'll never see that change for Delta.

I assume B6 serves Aquafina after they switched to Pepsi.

Originally Posted by ggonzaga (Post 32072997)

Well for starters Fiji and Acqua Panna are bottled natural spring water, Dasani and Aquafina are filtered / purified water and combined with successful marketing is why the former command a price premium over the latter.

DL serves other brands outside of the US.

As a whole, Evian is probably the closest thing to Fiji / Acqua Panna that I've seen on any airline though Acqua Panna is now owned by Nestle (via San Pellegrino) so it's conceivable it could be on a plane in the future though in all likelihood you'd just see generic Nestle brand water before seeing Acqua Panna

The Situation Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 32072989)
BYOW. Bring Your Own Water.

Great suggestion! If Dasani is such a problem, OP should just pack a bunch of 3 oz bottles of water from home:D

travelinmanS Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm

This thread is an ode to the power of marketing.

SJC ORD LDR Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm

IMO, bottled water is wasteful for the most part. The US has a very clean public water supply which travels by pipe. Bottled water requires the use of a container (usually oil based plastic) and transporation (usually operated by an oil based fuel). Importing it from another continent is even more wasteful. Granted, an airplane is one of the places where there is no really clean water supply, but if you don't like what they serve you, just bring your own bottle and fill it past security.

Of course, if you happen to live in Flint, MI; ignore this post.

GRG Feb 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garrett Mozingo (Post 32073151)
Interesting, What bottled water would you have them serve?

I'm guessing the OP would prefer something other than some city's municipal water supply that's been run through an RO system and then had the natural minerals it removed added back in to give it "flavor", and I 100% agree. Dasani and Aquafina are both disgusting. Any brand of spring water would do...Deer Park, Zephyr Hills, Ice Mountain, etc.