Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 Questions Flying Basic Economy with Delta--Seating-Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Questions Flying Basic Economy with Delta--Seating-Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't expect that your DESIRE to get seats together will generate much sympathy since you CHOSE to buy basic economy and the rules (which should apply to your family too) are clear.
I would. Most people have a different view than this website. I am willing to bet most gate agents will do their best to get the OP at least some seats together. Now, that may not work out (and those are the consequences of buying BE), but I am will to bet most people would be somewhat sympathetic to his plight.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I get so furious at posts like this. Asking DL to find you seats together means displacing passengers who booked in advance and paid for main cabin tickets to ensure a good seat. Because guess what, airline seats are like stadium seats, they are not all equal. That's why in the current environment of "unbundling" airlines can charge more for aisles and windows, or reserve them as "preferred" for elite members.
MSPeconomist and ekozie like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:34 am

Hrm. I've flown basic economy a number of times in the past two years before I got my poop in a group about this loyalty program thing.

You might, seated all the way in the back and depending on the flight, be able to get a bunch together. I'm just fine flying at awkward times but even then I don't see this much when I'm checking in via the app.

If it were me I'd be poking around and seeing if I could upgrade to select 3 seats out of my 7, T-24 is no sure thing when flying E when it comes to useful seats, you might get literally zero together on some flights if only middle seats are open (it's happened to me before). Probably about 70% of the time that I've flown E you'd probably be able to get away with 2/2/1/1/1 pretty easily but I was flying awkward times.

Last edited by Revelate; Feb 14, 2020 at 12:40 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I would. Most people have a different view than this website. I am willing to bet most gate agents will do their best to get the OP at least some seats together. Now, that may not work out (and those are the consequences of buying BE), but I am will to bet most people would be somewhat sympathetic to his plight.
I agree. While it's not fair to displace passengers who selected their seat in advance, I this is likely part of the reason why Delta blocks of many seats (including preferred ones) from automatic seat assignment at T-24 for Basic Economy passengers. I'd make sure to ask at checkin and at the gate an hour plus ahead of departure time. You want to talk to someone *before* the gate agent assigns the remaining seats away. Granted I have status with DL, but I've never had an issue asking for an exit row and being given that, C+, or F on a BE ticket.

Delta surely has thought about this issue before. Given that BE is a good option for infrequent flyers (and not to mention that in many cases, getting seven seats together is a challenge in its own right), this must happen countless times a day. No one - including those who paid for MC - wants a seven year old randomly assigned next to them - so really it's in everyone's interest to have the fam seated together.

And, for what it's worth, previous posters should consider the manner in which they posted the next time something goes wrong for them. You might consider, for example, how often rules are bent and exceptions made by Delta (and probably life) for you in the past - and while you're asking for punitive 'sticking to the rule' for the OP, you have often been the beneficiary of someone who has looked the other way.
jebr likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Gig103
I get so furious at posts like this. Asking DL to find you seats together means displacing passengers who booked in advance and paid for main cabin tickets to ensure a good seat. Because guess what, airline seats are like stadium seats, they are not all equal. That's why in the current environment of "unbundling" airlines can charge more for aisles and windows, or reserve them as "preferred" for elite members.
It does not necessarily mean displacing other passengers. There are usually enough E- tickets booked that those can be moved around without effecting people who paid for main cabin and selected their seat (which DL will tell you is not guaranteed by the way). Seats may not all be exactly the same, but they are much more alike than this site would have you believe (where a middle in the second to last row is a fate worse than death itself). Preferred seats are the biggest scam out there, and I would be surprised if airlines sell many "preferred" seat, although WN makes millions of dollars on people who pay money to get to pick their seat sooner on a plane that is all coach, so who knows.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:38 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I'd suggest looking for potential offers in the app or on the Delta website to select a seat in advance, and seeing if that price is worth it to you. In the future if traveling in this big group and are thinking bout cost, I might suggest splitting into 2 groups: 1 parent + the 2 youngest with regular main cabin tickets (so that you can select a whole row in advance), and the others in a basic economy group of tickets (that way if someone has to sit as a single, it'd be one of the older kids).

I wonder if it's possible to split up the current reservation into 2 PNRs, so that you can buy up to main cabin for at least part of the group.

Originally Posted by AviationFreak
[...]
And, for what it's worth, previous posters should consider the manner in which they posted the next time something goes wrong for them. You might consider, for example, how often rules are bent and exceptions made by Delta (and probably life) for you in the past - and while you're asking for punitive 'sticking to the rule' for the OP, you have often been the beneficiary of someone who has looked the other way.
I always find it funny how there are some threads where (often higher medallion) folks celebrate how they book BE tickets, yet still get C+ or more premium seats, which is technically not provided by a BE fare rules, but there's always a very "strict" interpretation when it comes to less frequent fliers.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ryw
I'd suggest looking for potential offers in the app or on the Delta website to select a seat in advance, and seeing if that price is worth it to you. In the future if traveling in this big group and are thinking bout cost, I might suggest splitting into 2 groups: 1 parent + the 2 youngest with regular main cabin tickets (so that you can select a whole row in advance), and the others in a basic economy group of tickets (that way if someone has to sit as a single, it'd be one of the older kids).

I wonder if it's possible to split up the current reservation into 2 PNRs, so that you can buy up to main cabin for at least part of the group.

I always find it funny how there are some threads where (often higher medallion) folks celebrate how they book BE tickets, yet still get C+ or more premium seats, which is technically not provided by a BE fare rules, but there's always a very "strict" interpretation when it comes to less frequent fliers.
Everyone knows that the rules only apply to others. Holding flights, carry-on size, fee-free changes are all one's basic rights.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
To add on to what others have said, if you bought your ticket with the Gold Card, you may not even have to show the credit card at check in to get the free bag. At least that's my experience.
Tickets do NOT need to be paid for with the Delta Amex cards. Just need your frequent flyer number in the record. Method of payment does not affect the free baggage allowance.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Or get online exactly at T-24 to try and select seats next to one another.
This should work for the first flight. The few times I’ve flown basic (which like most good FT folks I avoid whenever possible) if there’s a connection involved it won’t let you do it at check in for the second (or any other additional legs) just the first.

I will say sometimes it offers paid for seat selection somewhere the week of the flight. I’ve done this when I’ve booked various low-priced long haul transatlantic solo and want to pay a little more for a window seat on the overnight and an aisle on the way back but it varies and it’s possible only middle options will be available then.

All the kids ages listed would be eligible to travel as accompanied minors so if they can put any of y’all together it’s nice, but it’s just that it’s a nice thing and I wouldn’t expect them to force anyone to move for them. I’d prepare for everyone to be separated. Possibly close by but separated and prepare for 7 middle seats near the back of the plane. It may be a less full flight Or they may have available pairs of seats that at least a few of you get put together or you may get super lucky but basically I’d prepare everyone to be on their own.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster

I'll give an update on how this turned out. The trip is now complete. It was to Panama. I talked with a friend of mine that has a large family. He said he always buys BE tickets and never has had a problem. They are always seated together. Sure enough. On all four flights we were seated together. It was always at the back part of the plane. Delta must just automatically do this when they see the same last name. We had zero problems on our flights. I felt like Delta did an outstanding job.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by DoosanMan
I'll give an update on how this turned out. The trip is now complete. It was to Panama. I talked with a friend of mine that has a large family. He said he always buys BE tickets and never has had a problem. They are always seated together. Sure enough. On all four flights we were seated together. It was always at the back part of the plane. Delta must just automatically do this when they see the same last name. We had zero problems on our flights. I felt like Delta did an outstanding job.
Family of 5 who frequently travel exclusively on BE tickets. Never once had a problem all sitting together. Sometimes even in C+.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad it worked out. As mentioned, DL seems to save at least the last two rows (on narrow bodies), 12 seats, for last minute assignment. Not sure what is done by the computer and what by a human agent, but I do typically see on the app’s standby list that passengers with the same last name are typically assigned adjacent seats in these rows. I don’t think it’s actually based on the last name, but the fact that the bookings are in the same reservation. I think if one of the passengers is elite then they’re more likely to be assigned better seating closer to the front, including preferred and Comfort+ seats if available (and exit row if eligible).

I think the only issue would be if there were a lot of families on the flight who booked BE and they all couldn’t fit in the last 2 rows, but if there were that many people who bought BE then there’s a greater chance of more available adjacent seats in the rest of the cabin.
DCAJen likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
.......Granted I have status with DL, but I've never had an issue asking for an exit row and being given that, C+, or F on a BE ticket........
Are you saying you’ve bought BE fares and have been given C+ and F just by asking? Surely I’m reading that wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.