Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 Questions Flying Basic Economy with Delta--Seating-Baggage

Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:28 am
Original Poster

In a few weeks our family of 7 is flying to Central America on Delta. My children's ages are 7,9,12,14, and 16. Since I was buying seven tickets I opted for Basic Economy, but now I am doubting it a bit.

Question 1: What are the chances of getting seated together? The three oldest are likely fine sitting alone, but the two youngest girls need to sit with Mom or me. Will at least two groups of 2 tickets be together?
Question 2: I have a Delta Gold Amex credit card. I believe this lets me check in luggage free for my whole family. How does this process work? Do I do this when I online checkin the day before or what wait till we are at ticket counter at airport?

Thank you
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Basic Economy Seating w Large Family Question

In a few weeks we are flying to Central America with our 5 children. SInce I was purchasing so many tickets I purchased Basic Economy. The three older children are likely fine wherever they get placed, but our 7 and 9 year old girls need to sit with Mom or myself. Will Delta somewhat book our group together? Do they do this for families?

I apologize for duplicate posts. The one was not showing up and I thoght I hadn't saved it. Admin can delete this one

Last edited by DoosanMan; Feb 13, 2020 at 6:40 am Reason: duplicate post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:38 am
Original Poster

How Does Checking Baggage w Delta Gold Card Work

Our family is flying in a few weeks and I have a new Delta Gold Amex card. I believe it allows me to check luggage for free. How does this work or what is the process? We are mainly taking carryons but will likely check a couple bags. thank you
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
They will try, but not guaranteed. From Deltas website:

We realize that Basic Economy fares arent for everyone including families traveling with children. While our Airport Customer Service team makes every effort to seat families with young children together regardless of ticket type, customers who need to be seated beside another person in their family are encouraged to select Delta's Main Cabin product that allows for seat selections and ticket changes.

Or get online exactly at T-24 to try and select seats next to one another.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:42 am

Cross posting is not allowed. You literally just started a separate thread about question #1 [Moderators have been alerted].

The answer to question 2 can easily be found with a search of this forum or literally any DL page with the Amex waiver info on it.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

We realize that Basic Economy fares arent for everyone including families traveling with children. While our Airport Customer Service team makes every effort to seat families with young children together regardless of ticket type, customers who need to be seated beside another person in their family are encouraged to select Delta's Main Cabin product that allows for seat selections and ticket changes.

Ok, I will try that. In the past flying alone that didn't work for me, but I'll give it a try again. Thank you
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Cross posting is not allowed. You literally just started a separate thread about question #1 [Moderators have been alerted].

The answer to question 2 can easily be found with a search of this forum or literally any DL page with the Amex waiver info on it.
Yes, it was an honest mistake and I asked the admin in the previous post to delete already.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by DoosanMan
Ok, I will try that. In the past flying alone that didn't work for me, but I'll give it a try again. Thank you
Were you leaving ATL? Did you call at T-24 and ask the agent to select the seats for you?

If it didnt work in the past, and these two need to be seated with you - why didnt you buy them Main Cabin tickets? Just for the 7 and 9 year old plus 1 parent.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:46 am

Yes, it was an honest mistake and I asked the admin in the previous post to delete already.
Thank you.

For #2 you just show your DL Amex at check in. Dont try to add bags during online check in or anything like that. Just go to check in counter/bag drop, show the card, inform the agent of the bag fee waiver; applies to you and up to 8 others traveling with you
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:50 am

I answered this in your other thread on this subject. Go to the check in counter/bag drop and dont attempt to pay for bags online.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Question 2: I have a Delta Gold Amex credit card. I believe this lets me check in luggage free for my whole family. How does this process work? Do I do this when I online checkin the day before or what wait till we are at ticket counter at airport?
Thank you
To add on to what others have said, if you bought your ticket with the Gold Card, you may not even have to show the credit card at check in to get the free bag. At least that's my experience.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: NW GE
My children's ages are 7,9,12,14, and 16. Since I was buying seven tickets I opted for Basic Economy...The three oldest are likely fine sitting alone, but the two youngest girls need to sit with Mom or me.
Just to recap: Your kids need to sit next to you but you knowingly purchased tickets that do not allow advance seat selection (and warn you of this in about 5 places before purchase).

Typically the last 1-2 rows of coach (those terrible seats by the lavs way in the back of the plane, that don't recline) are saved for situations like this. Maybe you'll get them. Maybe not.

Maybe next time consider paying for a service that you need and not acting helpless at the last minute? I wanted to save a few $$$$ on my next flight so I bought Main Cabin, but now I'm worried I won't have the legroom I need. Anybody think it would be reasonable for Delta to just give me First?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Maybe next time consider paying for a service that you need and not acting helpless at the last minute? I wanted to save a few $$$$ on my next flight so I bought Main Cabin, but now I'm worried I won't have the legroom I need. Anybody think it would be reasonable for Delta to just give me First?
Isn't that the basis of half the posts on this site (will I get my upgrade?)

If I were the OP, I wouldn't worry. I would think the chances of getting seven seats scattered throughout the plane are pretty small. My one experience with BE was my 9 year old son and I were given two seats together in the second to last row.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Isn't that the basis of half the posts on this site (will I get my upgrade?)
Upgrades due to medallion status are a published and defined benefit of the loyalty program. Seat selection on BE fares is a clearly stated exclusion, as are upgrades in fact. I'd have the same comment for someone booking a BE fare and then asking if they should be placed on the upgrade list.
MSPeconomist and Statman like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This, and ages 7, 9, 12, 14, and 16 are NOT "young children." Presumably even the 7 year old is seated far away from parents for many hours in school. I wouldn't expect that your DESIRE to get seats together will generate much sympathy since you CHOSE to buy basic economy and the rules (which should apply to your family too) are clear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.