Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?

Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?

Old Mar 2, 20, 7:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 603
Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?

First of all, I realize this must have been discussed in the past on the forums, but I wasn't able to find it - so apologies to those who are sensitive about redundant content.

In any event, next week I am booked JFK-LAX on Sunday, LAX-BOS on Tuesday, and BOS-LGA on Wednesday.

Something has just come up that requires me to fly BOS-ORD on Wednesday and ORD-NYC on Thursday.

I called the DM line, and, as expected, was told I'd lose my C+ upgrades for JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS. For JFK-LAX in particular, there are no remotely palatable seats left - C+ is sold out and coach isn't tenable for me for that long of a flight due to a knee injury.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that I once had a DM agent who figured out a way to make a similar change while preserving my upgrades on the legs that were not changing.

Does anyone know a workaround here other than waiting until landing in Boston to book BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC? I'm willing to do that if absolutely necessary, but don't love the idea of booking mission critical flights <24 hours out. I'd also be willing to buy BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC on a separate reservation and cancel BOS-NYC upon landing in Boston, but I believe that is a violation of Delta's terms.

Thanks.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:01 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hartford, CT
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
First of all, I realize this must have been discussed in the past on the forums, but I wasn't able to find it - so apologies to those who are sensitive about redundant content.

In any event, next week I am booked JFK-LAX on Sunday, LAX-BOS on Tuesday, and BOS-LGA on Wednesday.

Something has just come up that requires me to fly BOS-ORD on Wednesday and ORD-NYC on Thursday.

I called the DM line, and, as expected, was told I'd lose my C+ upgrades for JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS. For JFK-LAX in particular, there are no remotely palatable seats left - C+ is sold out and coach isn't tenable for me for that long of a flight due to a knee injury.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that I once had a DM agent who figured out a way to make a similar change while preserving my upgrades on the legs that were not changing.

Does anyone know a workaround here other than waiting until landing in Boston to book BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC? I'm willing to do that if absolutely necessary, but don't love the idea of booking mission critical flights <24 hours out. I'd also be willing to buy BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC on a separate reservation and cancel BOS-NYC upon landing in Boston, but I believe that is a violation of Delta's terms.

Thanks.
I literally just did this last week. My F and C+ upgrade was maintained on my outbound segment and I added new segments. Was originally BDL-MSP-SEA-MSP-BDL. Ended up BDL-MSP-SEA-LAX-ATL-BDL. No issues with my previously assigned seats on the BDL-MSP-SEA segments. I went through Twitter and had a fantastic rep. I actually ended up giving her a JWD because she had to call the gate at the airport because we were checked-in and walked us through multiple flight options to find the best seat/price/time.
BradleyFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:05 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 603
Interesting. Perhaps I need to get on Twitter.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:22 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,578
IMO it's unreasonable to expect to keep free elite upgrades when one makes a voluntary change to a ticket. If C+ is full on the new flight, DL certainly should not kick some other customer out of a C+ seat (whether paid or free elite upgrade) in order to accommodate the OP. Just like when a ticket is purchased close to departure, when flights must be changed voluntarily at the last minute, the passenger should not expect necessarily to be able to select a good seat.

It could be somewhat different in the case of IROPs rebookings, if the original flight is cancelled/rescheduled, etc. but the OP needs to change flights because "something has come up."

I suspect that the second post in this thread concerns a rebooking due to IROPs since at least one of the flights was apparently very close to boarding when the change was made since the customer was checked in and the agent had to contact the gate, although I'm confused in that price shouldn't matter when one is being rebooked due to IROPs unless one wants to purchase a higher cabin class.
Hepsaint likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:28 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IMO it's unreasonable to expect to keep free elite upgrades when one makes a voluntary change to a ticket. If C+ is full on the new flight, DL certainly should not kick some other customer out of a C+ seat (whether paid or free elite upgrade) in order to accommodate the OP. Just like when a ticket is purchased close to departure, when flights must be changed voluntarily at the last minute, the passenger should not expect necessarily to be able to select a good seat.

It could be somewhat different in the case of IROPs rebookings, if the original flight is cancelled/rescheduled, etc. but the OP needs to change flights because "something has come up."

I suspect that the second post in this thread concerns a rebooking due to IROPs since at least one of the flights was apparently very close to boarding when the change was made since the customer was checked in and the agent had to contact the gate, although I'm confused in that price shouldn't matter when one is being rebooked due to IROPs unless one wants to purchase a higher cabin class.
i donít think youíve quite understood my situation. Iím only trying to preserve upgrades on the JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS legs, which are not changing. I have no expectation regarding upgrades for the new BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC legs, which would replace my existing BOS-LGA leg.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:43 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,578
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
i donít think youíve quite understood my situation. Iím only trying to preserve upgrades on the JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS legs, which are not changing. I have no expectation regarding upgrades for the new BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC legs, which would replace my existing BOS-LGA leg.
Sorry, I did misunderstand.

It sounds like the agent is trying to rewrite your entire ticket rather than just changing the last segment. Unless there's something a bit unusual with fare class combinability, this shouldn't be necessary. Have you tried speaking with a supervisor?

OTOH, would it cost a lot more to just buy a new ticket and refund the unused segments on the old ticket? You probably have a multicity ticket already rather than getting RT pricing so getting a OW ticket might not cost a lot more. This presumes that the agent is able to cancel the last segment without messing up seats, etc. on the segments being kept.

I'm not advising it, but you could also just buy the new OW ticket from DL and cancel the segment that isn't used on the old ticket after travel is complete. Most DL fares don't require cancellation before departure AFAIK and DL isn't nearly as draconian as some other carriers regarding detecting and cancelling "impossible" conflicting bookings. This could be a risk you're willing to take, although I suspect that you want all segments to be DL operated and marketed with your DL FF number on the PNR from the beginning to maximize upgrade chances.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:00 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Sorry, I did misunderstand.

It sounds like the agent is trying to rewrite your entire ticket rather than just changing the last segment. Unless there's something a bit unusual with fare class combinability, this shouldn't be necessary. Have you tried speaking with a supervisor?

OTOH, would it cost a lot more to just buy a new ticket and refund the unused segments on the old ticket? You probably have a multicity ticket already rather than getting RT pricing so getting a OW ticket might not cost a lot more. This presumes that the agent is able to cancel the last segment without messing up seats, etc. on the segments being kept.

I'm not advising it, but you could also just buy the new OW ticket from DL and cancel the segment that isn't used on the old ticket after travel is complete. Most DL fares don't require cancellation before departure AFAIK and DL isn't nearly as draconian as some other carriers regarding detecting and cancelling "impossible" conflicting bookings. This could be a risk you're willing to take, although I suspect that you want all segments to be DL operated and marketed with your DL FF number on the PNR from the beginning to maximize upgrade chances.
Thanks - I haven't tried a supervisor yet; just got off the phone with a second agent who insisted they can't change the last leg without reissuing the entire ticket and forfeiting the JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS upgrades. I'll try escalating later today.

I'm actually very open to your suggestion of booking BOS-ORD-LGA on a separate reservation, and canceling BOS-LGA upon landing in BOS. My concern is that Delta's terms say that this is not allowed and that they have the right to unilaterally cancel one or both reservations if they detect this. My meetings in LA, Boston, and Chicago next week are all very important, so I'm reluctant to take my chances.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:02 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 787
Wait until Tuesday to make the change?
MarkCron is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:10 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,308
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IMO it's unreasonable to expect to keep free elite upgrades when one makes a voluntary change to a ticket. If C+ is full on the new flight, DL certainly should not kick some other customer out of a C+ seat (whether paid or free elite upgrade) in order to accommodate the OP. Just like when a ticket is purchased close to departure, when flights must be changed voluntarily at the last minute, the passenger should not expect necessarily to be able to select a good seat.

It could be somewhat different in the case of IROPs rebookings, if the original flight is cancelled/rescheduled, etc. but the OP needs to change flights because "something has come up."

I suspect that the second post in this thread concerns a rebooking due to IROPs since at least one of the flights was apparently very close to boarding when the change was made since the customer was checked in and the agent had to contact the gate, although I'm confused in that price shouldn't matter when one is being rebooked due to IROPs unless one wants to purchase a higher cabin class.
The last time I faced a situation like this, I was confirmed in FC on a RUC UG (both segments). Due to MX issues for an originating flight, I was looking at a high likelihood of missing my connecting flight. Diamond line backed me up on a later flight, but agent and a supervisor both claimed that I would have to be placed on the UG list for the back-up flight, even though there were ample FC seats available.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:27 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
Wait until Tuesday to make the change?
Iím currently leaning towards waiting until Tuesday, or perhaps even Wednesday night if the BOS-ORD and ORD-LGA legs still look relatively open.

It seems like this shouldnít be a difficult problem to solve. Iím guessing it has more to do with IT limitations than any sort of policy.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,819
You could buy the BOS - ORD on another airline (just giving up the points / status for that one flight seems worth it to preserve the rest) to avoid any issue with the DL system having problems with overlapping bookings and then just cancel the final leg after the fact or just miss the flight and it'll be canceled for you.

With the B6 waiver in place you could book with them and have a with free cancellation if you are able to make something with DL work (though they only credit back as a travel credit, not full refund).
acrophobia likes this.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 12:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
Iím currently leaning towards waiting until Tuesday, or perhaps even Wednesday night if the BOS-ORD and ORD-LGA legs still look relatively open.

It seems like this shouldnít be a difficult problem to solve. Iím guessing it has more to do with IT limitations than any sort of policy.
I would buy the BOS-ORD and ORD-LGA legs now. If you are concerned about these being canceled due to Delta noticing you have alternate flights on the same dates, skip adding your FF number on these legs for now. Plan on updating the record with your number after youíve had a chance to cancel the legs in your existing ticket that you wonít be taking.
acrophobia likes this.
cre95 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:11 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,578
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
I would buy the BOS-ORD and ORD-LGA legs now. If you are concerned about these being canceled due to Delta noticing you have alternate flights on the same dates, skip adding your FF number on these legs for now. Plan on updating the record with your number after youíve had a chance to cancel the legs in your existing ticket that you wonít be taking.
Then OP would at best get a gate/battlefield upgrade on the new segments. I'm not sure keeping the FF number off the ticket matters much for conflicting reservations.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:42 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,872
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Then OP would at best get a gate/battlefield upgrade on the new segments. I'm not sure keeping the FF number off the ticket matters much for conflicting reservations.
The "leave the FF number off" thing is an urban myth which was not a myth about 6+ years ago. DL now uses software to sniff this stuff out and the FFP is close to meaningless.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:50 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Posts: 2,017
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The "leave the FF number off" thing is an urban myth which was not a myth about 6+ years ago. DL now uses software to sniff this stuff out and the FFP is close to meaningless.
What are you basing this on?
SamOF is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: