Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
What is the timeline here? Will everything (Concourse G, new SkyClub, etc) be open by Memorial Day weekend? Trying to decide between JFK and LGA for a trip, been flying more JFK recently given the redevelopment
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
What is the timeline here? Will everything (Concourse G, new SkyClub, etc) be open by Memorial Day weekend? Trying to decide between JFK and LGA for a trip, been flying more JFK recently given the redevelopment
All that's known (I think) is that the headhouse, as well as Concourses E and G will all be open by the end of spring. Given how Memorial Day comes later in spring, I'd say there's a decent chance it'll be open at that point. After that, the first half of Concourse F should open sometime later this year (possibly the summer), and most remaining construction will be on Concourse D and the rest of F through 2024 or so, leaving the landside area mostly construction-free. I believe they're supposed to expand the parking garage at some point, though I don't imagine that will start until later this year at the earliest.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: DL D, UA 1k, Mar T
Headhouse/E/G are on track for late March/early April.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by BenyiC03
^That's what I've been thinking. The LGA Redevelopment Community Council sends out weekly emails that usually contain contracting info, and most of the recent ones include lots of opportunities for Concourse D (Curtain Wall, Structural Steel, Terminal C West Demo, etc.) I'd attach a screenshot, however the site will not let me.
Very interested to see what happens here. Demo doesn’t necessarily have to mean taking down the whole building- I have heard that term used when referring to extensive renovations (i.e. interior demolition).

The rendering I’ve attached, to my eyes, pretty clearly shows a renovation of Terminal C’s western pier, and they currently have these restrooms closed for renovation. I can’t imagine they’d be doing this if the structure only had a couple years left- seems like an enormous waste of money by a company that is certainly motivated to save where it can.

LGA Terminal C West rendering
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchindHaughton
Very interested to see what happens here. Demo doesn’t necessarily have to mean taking down the whole building- I have heard that term used when referring to extensive renovations (i.e. interior demolition).

The rendering I’ve attached, to my eyes, pretty clearly shows a renovation of Terminal C’s western pier, and they currently have these restrooms closed for renovation. I can’t imagine they’d be doing this if the structure only had a couple years left- seems like an enormous waste of money by a company that is certainly motivated to save where it can.

Where did this rendering come from?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SchindHaughton

It looks like the new pier is maybe 20 feet further west in the plans above. This suggests they are just going to tear the whole thing down and start over in my mind.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:13 pm

Appears they’re trying to blend the building with the style of the rest of the project. Definitely indicates this is long term, however I think one of the purposes of tearing C West down was to pave a dual taxiway between Concourses D and E. Not sure how that’s possible if they leave it up.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
It was on the construction wall in front of the bathrooms near the end of the western C pier.

Originally Posted by BenyiC03
Appears they’re trying to blend the building with the style of the rest of the project. Definitely indicates this is long term, however I think one of the purposes of tearing C West down was to pave a dual taxiway between Concourses D and E. Not sure how that’s possible if they leave it up.
My guess is that it was a cost-saving move by Delta. Now that the airline is (somewhat by necessity) of more of a cost-saving mentality than they were when the project started, someone may have decided that demolishing/rebuilding an otherwise adequate structure for the sole purpose of accommodating a single set of dual taxi lanes isn’t worth the added cost. With what construction costs in NY, I can’t say I blame them- I’d be surprised if the overall cost savings didn’t exceed $100M.

May also partially explain why the project is going to wrap up a couple years ahead of schedule.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: DL D, UA 1k, Mar T
Yeah, they're gonna partly demolish and rebuild existing terminal C. No idea if that was always the plan.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:08 pm

Two more changes...

I arrived on a regional jet flight today. The arrival gate showed as gate 89 which was somewhat confusing. Upon arrival I found this to be the regional hardstand gate at Terminal D (no bus but must use stairs plus a short walk). When I entered the terminal, all gates had been renumbered in the 8x range with obvious stickers over signs. I guess this is another step in preparation for the new headhouse and to avoid confusion? No real issue but online maps and the Delta app do not seem to be updated yet.

Second surprise was the walk to Terminal C for public transportation (i.e. MTA Q70 and M60 bus). The walk has been somewhat annoying since they removed the Terminal D stop. But now they have rerouted the walkway to go through the entire Terminal C rideshare and pickup area to the far west side of Terminal C (near the end of the building). There you have to cross at a stoplight and walk back to the MTA stop. One of the LGA employees said this just started today and agreed it's completely annoying.

Dave
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
The Sims?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by dave456
I arrived on a regional jet flight today. The arrival gate showed as gate 89 which was somewhat confusing. Upon arrival I found this to be the regional hardstand gate at Terminal D (no bus but must use stairs plus a short walk). When I entered the terminal, all gates had been renumbered in the 8x range with obvious stickers over signs. I guess this is another step in preparation for the new headhouse and to avoid confusion? No real issue but online maps and the Delta app do not seem to be updated yet.

Second surprise was the walk to Terminal C for public transportation (i.e. MTA Q70 and M60 bus). The walk has been somewhat annoying since they removed the Terminal D stop. But now they have rerouted the walkway to go through the entire Terminal C rideshare and pickup area to the far west side of Terminal C (near the end of the building). There you have to cross at a stoplight and walk back to the MTA stop. One of the LGA employees said this just started today and agreed it's completely annoying.

Dave
This makes me glad that I made the decision to abandon LGA and use JFK until LGA is complete. I still have 1 flight booked to LGA and I intend to use a co-terminal switch to JFK to avoid this mess.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, Terminal C is still okay but if you’re flying in/out of D it’s a total cluster - whether by public transit or private car. Agree to avoid LGA for now.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by dave456
I arrived on a regional jet flight today. The arrival gate showed as gate 89 which was somewhat confusing. Upon arrival I found this to be the regional hardstand gate at Terminal D (no bus but must use stairs plus a short walk). When I entered the terminal, all gates had been renumbered in the 8x range with obvious stickers over signs.
So the D1-D11 gates (or I guess D6-D11 since some of the gates are gone) have been renumbered to the 80s? I suddenly see numerous flights going in and out of gates like '84' and '85B' on delta.com.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
So the D1-D11 gates (or I guess D6-D11 since some of the gates are gone) have been renumbered to the 80s? I suddenly see numerous flights going in and out of gates like '84' and '85B' on delta.com.
Yes the D gates are now renumbered to the 80s. Not sure why Delta or the Port Authority cannot publicize some of the changes in advance. Every change seems very last minute. And since Delta is paying for the terminal they cannot simply blame the Port Authority for the mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.