Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I heart the Santiago DL SC was awful (such a random spot for a international US lounge), so maybe there's a better LATAM one there.....
Yes, the SC in SCL truly is awful.

On the flip side, the AMEX Centurion Lounge in EZE is pretty serviceable.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Any chance MIA becomes a focus city like BOS or SEA?
The AJC articles seems to point at that being a possibility, but I'd think of it as more a RDU, BNA, or AUS than a hub. But only time will tell.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Yes, the SC in SCL truly is awful.

On the flip side, the AMEX Centurion Lounge in EZE is pretty serviceable.
SCL is undergoing a giant renovation that will result in the entire existing terminal closing, including the existing SkyClub. There is already slated to be a shared SkyTeam lounge in the new terminal, but this may change the lounge plans somewhat depending on what LATAM does...
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat
truly shocked this was kept quiet. no rumors here or on airliners.net. really hoping for slc-scl, for the most confusing airport code route pair

will miss the short haul avios redemptions on latam though
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ab2013
Well, I guess AS about to lose another partner.

DL really did a good job on the surprise factor with this news.

I wonder if this means that DL will bring back nonstop service to S America from DTW and maybe even LAX
I doubt it. DL terminated the DTW-GRU and vv nonstop route a couple years ago, after reducing the frequency (days per week) several times. It's hard to imagine DL restarting that route or branching to smaller airports from DTW nonstop.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I doubt DL will add more specific new routes from MIA. They can start more nonstop from MIA-RDU/SEA/AUS/MCO/JAX/TPA/CMH/ORD and a few other routes, as well.

I bet LATAM will leaves Oneworld Alliance. Move to SkyTeam alliance.

I think LATAM still have 10x A350-1000 on order. Probably they will delivery A350 to Delta.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
As someone who had a still-unexplained overnight delay on DL from ATL-EZE last month, I'll take your word for it.

Obviously only anecdotal, but I've had worse luck on DL than AA in terms of delays.
My main issue is not the AA flights to/from South America but the domestic connection from MIA or DFW to DCA.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
As someone traveling to Latin America often and having to rely on AA poor operations, these are great news.
I don't think so.
As far as I know.. The US cities more visited for south Americans are Miami and NY.
Where AA has hubs.

With Delta they will must get to Atlanta first.
Bad news for SOA people.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sonny84
I don't think so.
As far as I know.. The US cities more visited for south Americans are Miami and NY.
Where AA has hubs.

With Delta they will must get to Atlanta first.
Bad news for SOA people.
DL also has hubs in NYC, so that's a wash. I'm sure Delta will add service to Latin America from Atlanta, but they've be foolish not to keep a lot of the existing LatAm routes to Miami simply for O/D traffic.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Sweet, Easter Island now will be accessible via SkyMiles!

I have to say that my limited experience with LATAM this year on a short haul SCL-MDZ flight this year was pretty lousy - the TAM aircraft that operated it was in pretty poor shape inside, and the at-the-gate experience was chaotic and poorly managed. Hopefully DL can offer a lot of operational advice to help them grow into a top tier airline.

Hopefully the AM partnership doesn't suffer as a result of this. I think they largely serve different markets, but AM's long haul flights into deep South America are one of my favorite partner journeys, and I hope those remain options alongside LATAM's flights.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
We just flew them a couple weeks ago on AEP - BRC, BRC - AEP - MDZ, and MDZ - SCL.

Nothing remarkable but perfectly reasonable for domestic flights and the A320 is comfortable. We got exit rows for free on all but one flight and they had plenty of room. One flight we had regular Y and it was definitely on the tighter side but tolerable for a 2 hour flight. All but one bird was still in LAN Argentina livery (MDZ - SCL had LATAM livery).

Also flew them last year on SYD - AKL in J (reasonably priced on the 787) and seats and service was nice for the short flight.

SCL lounge could use improvement -- bigger challenge is just having edible food in that terminal, it's bleak overall.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:19 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So this is from oneworld:
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-0...ement-on-LATAM

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.

Someone on the AA forum stated it's a 12 month lead time to leave OW (Aer Lingus announced May 30 2006 and left May 31 2007). I assume DL/LATAM will forge an earlier bilateral FF agreement so that there are some benefits ASAP and then they'll solidify when they formally join ST.

Last edited by NOLAnwGOLD; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BenA
Sweet, Easter Island now will be accessible via SkyMiles!
Not only that, but ATL-SCL-IPC-PPT-LAX-ATL is now possible with Skymiles... what a fun itinerary that would be, if they don't charge a fortune for it!

Great Circle Mapper

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I assume DL/LATAM will forge an earlier bilateral FF agreement so that there are some benefits ASAP and then they'll solidify when they formally join ST.
I would be surprised if they ever join ST. Has there been any indication they will?
N515CR and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well if LATAM leaves OneWorld by end of next year (or Oct 1 2020 if it is indeed a 12mo notice period), does that mean we have to wait until then for benefits? Or can DL set up an agreement so we can start earning miles/mqm prior to that?

I think they would basically have to join ST, for the codeshare and flight booking arrangements. Otherwise it'll be a mess trying to book DL domestic connecting to LATAM, or LATAM for intra-south america with DL flights intl.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by rylan
Well if LATAM leaves OneWorld by end of next year (or Oct 1 2020 if it is indeed a 12mo notice period), does that mean we have to wait until then for benefits? Or can DL set up an agreement so we can start earning miles/mqm prior to that?

I think they would basically have to join ST, for the codeshare and flight booking arrangements. Otherwise it'll be a mess trying to book DL domestic connecting to LATAM, or LATAM for intra-south america with DL flights intl.
They do not need to be in ST to have a partnership arrangement that covers miles, codeshares or even profit sharing. It likely would take a year or so anyway, so do not get your hopes up.

They can easily establish an interline agreement if they do not already have one. That would allow you to buy a single ticket but the miles would be split.

I am guessing they will not talk about ST until they have a chance to run it by all the members. It is the least important part of the deal though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.