Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for using benefits with 9 person trip to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I have been doing some research on my options for a big family trip and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. FLL-DUB, EDI-FLL is the route next Spring trying to book on Delta for benefits. I am and PM with DL Reserve AMEX, no one else has status. There would be 9 of us in total including a 5 year old and an 11 year old.

From what I can figure out, my best strategy would be to book myself and wife on one reservation, the other 7 on a second. This allows us to get C+ upgrades immediately and possible FC to/from JFK. Are there downfalls to this? Would booking all 9 have any benefits as far as seat selection otherwise?

I've been told if we say have 8 bags to check, all would be free if we check in at desk together using my status, regardless if same reservation. (This may be a Reserve card benefit?)

Club Access: Wife also has Priority pass access. We would have a 5 hour layover at JFK so trying to maximize how many of us can get into a club. The best I can figure is 6 (me +2 in Skyclub, her +2 in PP Lounge) of the 9 (but kids may get in as extras?). I'm willing to pay $29 each for all. Also, if I get my wife an additional Reserve card for $175, does that change our max totals? Basically is there any way for all of us to get into a club? Would booking someone besides my wife (and her Reserve card priveledges) as my #2 in the reservation help?

Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully you enjoy the mental gymnastics to "solve" this one!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
How are you figuring you +2 in the SkyClub? You alone can go in GM or higher status on intl Itin. The Reserve Guest Access only happens with DM status. It will be an extra $29/pp. If you have AMEX Plat or AMEX HH Aspire card, the $29 entry fee would count toward your yearly incidental fee credit.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:59 pm

You should first book all tickets on the same reservation so that everyone at least has access to preferred seats via your status.

Once the seats are secured you can call in break off you and your wife into a separate reservation so that you’re eligible for upgrades.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by enoscabell
You should first book all tickets on the same reservation so that everyone at least has access to preferred seats via your status.

Once the seats are secured you can call in break off you and your wife into a separate reservation so that you’re eligible for upgrades.
The parents can't be upgraded unless there is someone 18+ back with the 8 & 11 YOA (or they travel as UM's).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
How are you figuring you +2 in the SkyClub? You alone can go in GM or higher status on intl Itin. The Reserve Guest Access only happens with DM status. It will be an extra $29/pp. If you have AMEX Plat or AMEX HH Aspire card, the $29 entry fee would count toward your yearly incidental fee credit.
OP said "I'm willing to pay $29 each for all." which suggests Reserve + 2 guests @$29 each, not the Guest Access choice benefit

Also FWIW if using GM/STE+ for access on an international itinerary you get one guest.
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

DL Platinum desk told me on Intl I get me and spouse free then 2 guest for $29. Not sure I’ve seen that written anywhere though.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The parents can't be upgraded unless there is someone 18+ back with the 8 & 11 YOA (or they travel as UM's).
7 adults and 2 kids. Neither of the kids are mine so they’d be with their moms.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Wow didn’t know that was possible. That would fix a lot of headaches!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Forgive me, but isn't SkyClub access GM/PM/DM + 1 guest on an international itinerary?
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steex
Forgive me, but isn't SkyClub access GM/PM/DM + 1 guest on an international itinerary?
It's definitely GM/PM/DM + 1 on international.

Have done this many times on international trips as a GM/PM -- both when traveling with my wife as my +1 and when traveling with work colleagues who come in as my +1.

That said I'm not sure where the +2 comes from if talking complimentary.

DL AMEX Reserve is just cardholder and the +2 is at $29/per. I don't believe the two are additive -- that is I don't think you can do you +1 on your PM benefit and then separately pay for the +2 at $29/per as your DL AMEX Reserve benefit. Though that seems like a YMMV based on the check-in folks. I guess in theory you could enter the SC two separate times -- I don't know how the system records guests for multiple visits in the same day
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
If I might butt in slightly off topic: you might find it preferable to switch your trip around. Leaving EDI will incur UK APD at £78pp in coach - whereas arriving wouldn't. I don't know about any similar tax charges for Ireland, but it ought to be less departing DUB [all else being equal].
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: DL DM
This is good advice, but I frequently book 9+ pax and I'll add a couple of side thoughts....

1) If you're trying to book 9 tix and there are not 9 available in a certain fare bucket, it will price the whole group up to the next fare up that has 9 available. This may not be an issue this far out, but (to simplify - and maybe closer to flight date) you'll often find 3 tickets left at one price, 5 at the next price and 9 at the next. Not sure what you can see on an Expertflyer free account vs paid, but it's worth looking into. Savings could be more than the cost of seat assignments.

2)Once bought, I'd wait until closer in to separate out your rez, as equipment or schedule changes, or other things could cause people to lose seat assignments and once split you may have trouble getting them back.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JTE458
I have been doing some research on my options for a big family trip and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. FLL-DUB, EDI-FLL is the route next Spring trying to book on Delta for benefits. I am and PM with DL Reserve AMEX, no one else has status. There would be 9 of us in total including a 5 year old and an 11 year old.

From what I can figure out, my best strategy would be to book myself and wife on one reservation, the other 7 on a second. This allows us to get C+ upgrades immediately and possible FC to/from JFK. Are there downfalls to this? Would booking all 9 have any benefits as far as seat selection otherwise?

I've been told if we say have 8 bags to check, all would be free if we check in at desk together using my status, regardless if same reservation. (This may be a Reserve card benefit?)

Club Access: Wife also has Priority pass access. We would have a 5 hour layover at JFK so trying to maximize how many of us can get into a club. The best I can figure is 6 (me +2 in Skyclub, her +2 in PP Lounge) of the 9 (but kids may get in as extras?). I'm willing to pay $29 each for all. Also, if I get my wife an additional Reserve card for $175, does that change our max totals? Basically is there any way for all of us to get into a club? Would booking someone besides my wife (and her Reserve card priveledges) as my #2 in the reservation help?

Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully you enjoy the mental gymnastics to "solve" this one!
We do this but the problem is that if the person who is paired with someone else to get them the upgrade can't make the trip then the single person without status (usually one of our kids) has to move to another PNR. This creates all sorts of problems with downgrades and such.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by etiene
If I might butt in slightly off topic: you might find it preferable to switch your trip around. Leaving EDI will incur UK APD at £78pp in coach - whereas arriving wouldn't. I don't know about any similar tax charges for Ireland, but it ought to be less departing DUB [all else being equal].
Ah so that's why that route combo keeps coming in about $50-$75 less. Wife wants to start in Ireland so that's what we will do....but good point!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
This is good advice, but I frequently book 9+ pax and I'll add a couple of side thoughts....

1) If you're trying to book 9 tix and there are not 9 available in a certain fare bucket, it will price the whole group up to the next fare up that has 9 available. This may not be an issue this far out, but (to simplify - and maybe closer to flight date) you'll often find 3 tickets left at one price, 5 at the next price and 9 at the next. Not sure what you can see on an Expertflyer free account vs paid, but it's worth looking into. Savings could be more than the cost of seat assignments.

2)Once bought, I'd wait until closer in to separate out your rez, as equipment or schedule changes, or other things could cause people to lose seat assignments and once split you may have trouble getting them back.
This far out nearly every seat on the flight was available. I tried the trip with 1 ticket vs 9 and it was the same price but this could def be an issue if I wait to book.

Yeah that's a good point, maybe I'll monitor the C+ bookings until they get tighter and risk losing options for me +1 before splitting.
remyontheroad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.