FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best strategy for using benefits with 9 person trip to Europe
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:32 am
sdadept

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JTE458
I have been doing some research on my options for a big family trip and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. FLL-DUB, EDI-FLL is the route next Spring trying to book on Delta for benefits. I am and PM with DL Reserve AMEX, no one else has status. There would be 9 of us in total including a 5 year old and an 11 year old.

From what I can figure out, my best strategy would be to book myself and wife on one reservation, the other 7 on a second. This allows us to get C+ upgrades immediately and possible FC to/from JFK. Are there downfalls to this? Would booking all 9 have any benefits as far as seat selection otherwise?

I've been told if we say have 8 bags to check, all would be free if we check in at desk together using my status, regardless if same reservation. (This may be a Reserve card benefit?)

Club Access: Wife also has Priority pass access. We would have a 5 hour layover at JFK so trying to maximize how many of us can get into a club. The best I can figure is 6 (me +2 in Skyclub, her +2 in PP Lounge) of the 9 (but kids may get in as extras?). I'm willing to pay $29 each for all. Also, if I get my wife an additional Reserve card for $175, does that change our max totals? Basically is there any way for all of us to get into a club? Would booking someone besides my wife (and her Reserve card priveledges) as my #2 in the reservation help?

Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully you enjoy the mental gymnastics to "solve" this one!
We do this but the problem is that if the person who is paired with someone else to get them the upgrade can't make the trip then the single person without status (usually one of our kids) has to move to another PNR. This creates all sorts of problems with downgrades and such.