Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour group bumped from flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
As someone mentioned upthread, both flights were not oversold in Y; they were still selling Y9 and more the day before on both DL203 and DL205 on 24 July.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presumably Junior is home around now. Would be good to get the full facts of what happened, along with the exact timings and routings and especially the reason for the "bump" (whether it was a denial of boarding or cancellation).

With that information, we can help OP figure our what her son is due by way of compensation, if anything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
It would make way more sense to route some people through AMS and CDG to then to their final destination for individuals or small groups than move one big one.
KL has 2 daily flights from ATH to AMS. The 0600 (yes, 6 am) flight operated as normal today. This evening's flight was cancelled due to the fuel delivery problems at AMS. So that plan may not have worked out too well for the tour group today, at least going via AMS!!!

That said, although the third of KL's 3 flights to JFK went out almost 3 hours late, the evening flight from ATH would have been too late to connect to any JFK-bound flights at AMS, so the poor kids would have had to be at ATH at 6am, rather than noon. So the later DL flight was undoubtedly a better option
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The evening ATH-AMS flight would require passengers to overnight at AMS and gat a TATL flight to the USA the following day.

There probably are similar (either very early departure or an overnight connection) itineraries through CDG.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Presumably Junior is home around now. Would be good to get the full facts of what happened, along with the exact timings and routings and especially the reason for the "bump" (whether it was a denial of boarding or cancellation).

With that information, we can help OP figure our what her son is due by way of compensation, if anything.
The original flight, DL203, hasn't even landed in JFK yet.

the flight to which they were rebooked, DL205, is just about approaching Newfoundland with another 3 hours (almost) until landing.

I hope the OP will return and finish the story!!!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The original flight, DL203, hasn't even landed in JFK yet.

the flight to which they were rebooked, DL205, is just about approaching Newfoundland with another 3 hours (almost) until landing.

I hope the OP will return and finish the story!!!
If I am right and the tour operator screwed up it's unlikely OP will ever know what happened. I just think we would have seen reports of DL proactively moving large groups within 24 hours of a flight when there was no IROP, or equipment change. If they were still selling tickets it wasn't a case of a ton of last minute Y fares. That doesn't even happen LHR to JFK, much less from ATH.

The only reports we've seen this is from individual who were called and offered vouchers proactively.

OP's kid will report what he was told and OP may report back to us, but I doubt it will be what actually happened instead of the Tour operators version of what happened.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe the tour operator *forgot* to arrange transportation to the airport and was unable to book something at the last minute to get them to ATH early enough to check in for the earlier flight......just speculating.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ballfour
...........Since I don't have my son's flight confirmation number, Delta can't give me much information. The tour group rep is still working with Delta to see if they can be put back on the original flight. She (the tour group rep) said that she doesn't think it was due to overbooking. Hoping to have an answer by 18:00.
I suspect this whole thread has more to do with poor service by tour operator instead of DL. There is no "bump" involved at all as tour group wasn't even at ATH airport.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the tour operator *forgot* to arrange transportation to the airport and was unable to book something at the last minute to get them to ATH early enough to check in for the earlier flight......just speculating.
... just as kop84 speculated a couple hours ago ...
Originally Posted by kop84
If I may wildly speculate for a moment...the tour operator couldn't get transportation to the airport in time for the first flight. Either they forgot, or it fell through or whatever. Then they had to change the flights at the last minute. And if you're the tour operator at this point you just put all the blame on Delta.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
Given there is EU law around this, a question about compensation is not at all unreasonable, especially considering this is exactly the type of behavior (potentially) the law intended to disincentivize.
Curious is there have been any studies to explore the following questions:
1. Did these regulations achieve their stated goal in any tangible way (are airlines behaving now), and
2. How did it affect ticket prices.

We just got a new Passenger Bill of Rights or whatever in Canada, and I will be surprised if it doesn't lead to price increases.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My first (and still most lucrative) VDB compensation was back in the 1980s on a youth group trip to West Germany. There was some sort of mix-up with the travel agency selling the tickets not correctly sending the 'second page' of ticket information to the airline and it wasn't discovered until the group showed up at the airport to check in.

American offered $800 each in vouchers to route us through Manchester and get us into Dusseldorf four hours later than scheduled. Us teenagers voted unanimously to take American's offer.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
So here's the most frustrating part of threads like this.. the OP posts a question/concern/complaint. Asks for help/suggestions, but doesn't provide enough info and doesn't come back and follow up. All we can do is assume, guess, extrapolate.
What's the point of the debate?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
So here's the most frustrating part of threads like this.. the OP posts a question/concern/complaint. Asks for help/suggestions, but doesn't provide enough info and doesn't come back and follow up. All we can do is assume, guess, extrapolate.
What's the point of the debate?
If we didn't extrapolate and wildly speculate without complete information then we may as well close flyertalk!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Although the subject of the thread is totally irrelevant to my life.....I actually subscribed to this thread just to see if the OP returns with a followup.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well as the OP has had 6 posts since 2015 then it might be wise not to hold your breath! You know we have seen this one way traffic before though so we should not be surprised......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.