Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour group bumped from flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
Attitude makes a difference.
100% agree. And I respectfully suggest first examining the attitude of the companies involved. The behavior of those with power (here, the companies) goes a long way to explaining the attitude of those with far less (here, individuals). It does not excuse the behavior or responsibility of individuals, but it does explain quite a bit.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The change fee is EUR 0 on most legacy carriers.

That is, if you choose to purchase a fully flexible fare. On the other hand, if you, like most people, wish to take advantage of the substantial discount afforded by accepting an inflexible fare, the change fee is whatever it is you agreed to.

It's a nonsensical comparison. People choose the fare basis which suits them best. So, why are the vast majority of tickets purchased under penalty fares? Because that is what consumers want and they benefit from substantial discounts in return for occasionally having to make and pay for a change.

The discussion here is not whether there ought to be compensation (and frankly until OP returns with some details we can't be sure), but why the first thing that concerns people is what they will get. Not, "gee, how do I get my kid back from ATH and what can I do to backstop DL and the tour company?"
LOL. How often is the flexible fare premium less than the change fee? The vast majority of flexible fare purchases are negotiated corporate rates.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Often1
The change fee is EUR 0 on most legacy carriers.

That is, if you choose to purchase a fully flexible fare. On the other hand, if you, like most people, wish to take advantage of the substantial discount afforded by accepting an inflexible fare, the change fee is whatever it is you agreed to.

It's a nonsensical comparison. People choose the fare basis which suits them best. So, why are the vast majority of tickets purchased under penalty fares? Because that is what consumers want and they benefit from substantial discounts in return for occasionally having to make and pay for a change.

The discussion here is not whether there ought to be compensation (and frankly until OP returns with some details we can't be sure), but why the first thing that concerns people is what they will get. Not, "gee, how do I get my kid back from ATH and what can I do to backstop DL and the tour company?"
so if you can’t change the ticket without paying way should the airline?
Mans why are not many full flexible tickets purchased? Because they are priced way too high (by the airline) to a point that doesn’t make sense to buy one (unless you have a specific corporate rate).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Even when there are hurricanes, snowstorms, and mechanical issues every flight should take off and land on time. I similarly don't understand why everyone seems so determined to believe that every person and every company is somehow out to screw you. As I have grown older, I find that it is in fact very rare that people or companies are trying to screw you. Yes it does happen, but more often in business-to-business transactions rather than business-to-consumer transactions. People and companies really do want to deliver, but sometimes whether due to misunderstandings, poor training, snafus that just happen from time to time, or acts of God, things do not go as planned. From there, if you communicate and treat people with respect and smile, 99% of the time you walk away with at least a satisfactory result considering the circumstances and often you walk away with a great result. If you go in with the attitude that the airline trying to screw me because there is a blizzard dumping two feet of snow, I can pretty much guarantee you will not be happy with the outcome. Attitude makes a difference.
and attitude doesn’t make any difference if a computer calls the shots (no out of the ordinary weather involved here). As it looks the airline bumped (probably because of overselling tickets). And then they created the problem as if you sell 100% of the seats (most with change fee etc.) you made your profit and selling more tickets is plain profit driven putting the customer third (as he was never first or second)
David098765 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by audio-nut
LOL. How often is the flexible fare premium less than the change fee? The vast majority of flexible fare purchases are negotiated corporate rates.
Yes, Often1 is stoically obstinate about things like this. It doesn't take a genius to know that fully fare flexible fares are not intended for normal purchase. They are the territory of special negotiated rates or last-seat availability.

If that they were actually intended to be purchased for flexibility, the premium for a flexible fare would be something less than the change fee (under the intuitive guise that most people won't actually change their ticket).

Looking at Delta, even the next-cheapest fare behind a B fare (which is usually a refundable fare) is almost always more than $200 more expensive than the non-refundable fare. For example, ATL-SJC on an M fare is $1241 vs. $1488 (and this route rarely ever organically gets to a B fare, meaning that M is the most expensive ticket you'd have to buy even last minute). Unless I rebook every single one of my flights more than once, it is much more cost effective to pay for the "discounted" (and M is hardly a very discounted fare - a more typical fare on this route is a K/Q fare for $700) fare and pay the change fee. Even if I changed *every single one of my flights once*.

Clearly there is no desire to market refundable fares for their utility as refundable.

I realize that refundable fares return to the method of payment, but still - there is no intermediary product for "changeable without a fee" for legacy carriers - so that is the closest proxy.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut
Depends on the destination, how full the flight is and how much time until departure, but the whole flexible fare model has become a little outdated given the minimal price differential between close-in and far-out bookings. The alternative is to wait to book until you are 100% sure you need to travel. You can book a nonstop RT one-week trip departing tomorrow (Wed to Wed) for SEA-JFK for $556. 90 days out Wed to Wed its $328. Difference in cost is roughly the change fee. If you know 100% you will travel one or two weeks out, you do even better.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen

and attitude doesn’t make any difference if a computer calls the shots (no out of the ordinary weather involved here). As it looks the airline bumped (probably because of overselling tickets). And then they created the problem as if you sell 100% of the seats (most with change fee etc.) you made your profit and selling more tickets is plain profit driven putting the customer third (as he was never first or second)
With all due respect, OP has not provided (and may not have) sufficient information for anyone to know what actually happened. It's unfortunate how society rushes to judgement before having all of the necessary information to make rational, informed decisions that lead to better outcomes.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Depends on the destination, how full the flight is and how much time until departure, but the whole flexible fare model has become a little outdated given the minimal price differential between close-in and far-out bookings. The alternative is to wait to book until you are 100% sure you need to travel. You can book a nonstop RT one-week trip departing tomorrow (Wed to Wed) for SEA-JFK for $556. 90 days out Wed to Wed its $328. Difference in cost is roughly the change fee. If you know 100% you will travel one or two weeks out, you do even better.
Or you could buy a refundable B fare for only $2497. A total steal if you ask me. And Often1 wonders why customers don't want to buy "flexible" fares...
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ethernal
Or you could buy a refundable B fare for only $2497. A total steal if you ask me. And Often1 wonders why customers don't want to buy "flexible" fares...
I didn't "wonder" anything. Those are your words.

Clearly most people find penalty fares to be better value. If they do, all the better for them. But, one can't be heard then to whine that the penalty for changing is too high when it is the fare one chose to purchase.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:49 pm

With all due respect, OP has not provided (and may not have) sufficient information for anyone to know what actually happened. It's unfortunate how society rushes to judgement before having all of the necessary information to make rational, informed decisions that lead to better outcomes.
and the OP didn’t want to change the ticket either .... gaslighting as usual
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
There were substantial wx delays in NYC yesterday, with about half of all flights at LGA getting cancelled (while mine was only delayed 5 hours). I imagine JFK had a similar situation, so perhaps there was some proactive rearranging done to inbound flights to accommodate for all the folks stranded out there from cancellations.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
I don’t understand the instant desire to be compensated for everything.

The airline expects to be compensated for everything. Why shouldn't the consumer?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
It depends on how tour groups are handled in Europe. In Asia, some tour groups are not assigned tickets until 24 hours in advance. So while an expected scheduled departure time might be listed as part of the tour, it's not actually a "bump" since there was no ticket issued for the group yet. I don't know if this applies to OP's situation, but this might be a reason for moving 17 people together (if they were never assigned tickets in the first place).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Sadly, we have become a society that monetizes EVERYTHING! That, plus a prevailing sense of entitlement, demands compensation.
Perhaps in response to checked bag fees, seat selection fees, change fees, and the other cornucopia of charges and fees you run into while flying.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Perhaps in response to checked bag fees, seat selection fees, change fees, and the other cornucopia of charges and fees you run into while flying.
Tsk, tsk. The only side that gets to monetize everything without criticism around here is the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.