FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Tour group bumped from flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1979764-tour-group-bumped-flight.html)

ballfour Jul 23, 2019 11:00 am

Tour group bumped from flight

My son, who is on a teen tour, is scheduled to fly home from Greece tomorrow. He just called me and said that Delta bumped his group of 17+ people to a later flight. We paid the tour company for the airfare portion separate from the rest of the fees. Are we entitled to any compensation for this bump?

MSPeconomist Jul 23, 2019 11:15 am

EC261 would seem to apply, 600 Euros per person if they arrive at their destination (after USA domestic connections?) late enough.

However, was the flight DL operated? I thought DL had stopped service to ATH, so that everything would be KLM/AF connections through AMS/CDG.

irishguy28 Jul 23, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ballfour (Post 31333885)
Are we entitled to any compensation for this bump?

More details are necessary in order to answer that question reliably.

What reason was given?

How different is the new routing?

What is the difference between the original arrival time and the new arrival time?

xliioper Jul 23, 2019 11:21 am

There are two daily ATH-JFK flights. Without further details, you can't really say whether EC261 applies (where there issues with airport arrival time, documents, etc?).

MSPeconomist Jul 23, 2019 11:22 am

I'm interpreting the word bumped in the OP to mean rebooked because the flight was oversold.

dcadwell Jul 23, 2019 11:23 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31333951)
There are two daily ATH-JFK flights. Without further details, you can't really say whether EC261 applies (where there issues with airport arrival time, documents, etc?).

Yep. Was just going to mention this.

irishguy28 Jul 23, 2019 11:26 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31333932)

However, was the flight DL operated? I thought DL had stopped service to ATH, so that everything would be KLM/AF connections through AMS/CDG.

There are currently 2 daily DL flights from ATH.

To the OP: if your son has been moved from the first to the second flight of the day tomorrow, and if JFK is the final destination, then assuming the reason for the move falls under EC261/2004, the nominal compensation payable is reduced by 50%, to €300 per person, as the replacement flight arrives within 4 hours of the originally-scheduled arrival time.

xliioper Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31333957)
I'm interpreting the word bumped in the OP to mean rebooked because the flight was oversold.

Overselling by 17+ would seem highly unlikely and there don't appear to have been any equipment subs.

ballfour Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Thank you all for your help. They were moved from the 12:00 to the 14:25 flight. I am still waiting to find out the reason for this. Since I don't have my son's flight confirmation number, Delta can't give me much information. The tour group rep is still working with Delta to see if they can be put back on the original flight. She (the tour group rep) said that she doesn't think it was due to overbooking. Hoping to have an answer by 18:00.

kop84 Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Could it be extra hot in ATH right now causing the plane to take a severe weight penalty? I doubt DL would move a group of 17+ for a simple overbooking unless they had to swap out a MUCH smaller plane

MSPeconomist Jul 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Airlines sometimes overbook to a shocking extent on certain routes and days, but it usually works out based on their big data analytics. I wonder whether a flight was cancelled earlier this week, resulting in a bunch of passengers needing to be rebooked. DL normally wouldn't bump confirmed passengers for this but there could be a special situation.

BTW, is there still the elite benefit of a guaranteed seat on DL operated flights at FULL fare? A business group could urgently need to travel at the last minute. In fact, DL might opt to accept FULL fare overbookings with the understanding that other passengers will be bumped and compensated. Other potential customers could need earlier connections at JFK, so DL might decide that bumping others to the later flight is no big deal.

jrl767 Jul 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 31334274)
Could it be extra hot in ATH right now causing the plane to take a severe weight penalty? I doubt DL would move a group of 17+ for a simple overbooking unless they had to swap out a MUCH smaller plane

forecast is mid-90s ... both flights still show as A330-300 equipment

DCAproducer Jul 23, 2019 1:08 pm

I didn't look at ExpertFlyer inventory, but doing a quick dummy booking, DL is still selling Y seats on both flights from ATH-JFK tomorrow. The seat map, while not totally accurate, shows plenty of availability.

btonkid12345 Jul 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DCAproducer (Post 31334322)
I didn't look at ExpertFlyer inventory, but doing a quick dummy booking, DL is still selling Y seats on both flights from ATH-JFK tomorrow. The seat map, while not totally accurate, shows plenty of availability.

If this is the case then they should be able to be moved back

EBiafore99 Jul 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ballfour (Post 31334172)
Thank you all for your help. They were moved from the 12:00 to the 14:25 flight. I am still waiting to find out the reason for this. Since I don't have my son's flight confirmation number, Delta can't give me much information. The tour group rep is still working with Delta to see if they can be put back on the original flight. She (the tour group rep) said that she doesn't think it was due to overbooking. Hoping to have an answer by 18:00.

A good question to ask is if they moved the group because the group arrived at the airport late. This is the height of the summer travel season (especially tourist-heavy destinations like ATH), so it could be the group did not make the cut-off.