Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pulling BS on C+ upgrade (Diamond not clearing at time of booking)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pulling BS on C+ upgrade (Diamond not clearing at time of booking)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I guess they are now... this is beyond ridiculous.
I know a GREAT way to get the C+ seat you want. Select the fare in the next column to the right. WC(+)BC(+)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Maybe because your destination is Europe? I thought C+ confirmed at booking was only for North America?
International, just like US, requires SU bucket availability in order to upgrade to C+. Just because there are open seats in C+ does not mean there will always be availability in SU. The implementation of the Comfort+ upgrade system on TATL flights was delayed initially because DL was using the W fare class for Premium Economy at the time and didn't have a separate fare class for C+ seats. At that time, a DM/PM could simply pick any open C+ seat on TATL flights at time of booking. Once they moved PE fares to PAG fare classes, they could sell Comfort+ as W and were able to put TATL flights under the same upgrade system as other routes with C+ fares. I had a case on a DTW-LAX flight where there were open C+ seat, but no SU bucket availability and I didn't get upgraded at time of booking. So it can certainly happen domestically as well as international.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
One other thing, I have seen this happen when DL is contemplating an equip swap on the aircraft. Instead of confirming C+ and then realizing they perhaps have oversold the cabin, they stack the list and once the equip type is solidified, seats are assigned.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by xliioper
I had a case on a DTW-LAX flight where there were open C+ seat, but no SU bucket availability and I didn't get upgraded at time of booking. So it can certainly happen domestically as well as international.
There was an open C+ seat, or there was availability in the W bucket when you didn't get upgraded? Those are two different things, and it's the latter that I don't think we've seen many (any?) reports of and is alarming people.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
There is an inverse relationship between the quality of benefits for a loyalty program and the economy.

When one does well, the other fares poorly.

Hope you have some money in the stock market!

David
hi55us and defrosted like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Question from a lowly GM....

My GM upgrades are complimentary when available. I don't always get them, even when I see available seats at my upgrade window.

Are DM upgrades guaranteed?

I fully realize that DM upgrades clear much sooner but seems based on OP's original post somewhere between GM and DM the upgrade changes from benefit to entitlement.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM
Originally Posted by defrosted
Question from a lowly GM....

My GM upgrades are complimentary when available. I don't always get them, even when I see available seats at my upgrade window.

Are DM upgrades guaranteed?

I fully realize that DM upgrades clear much sooner but seems based on OP's original post somewhere between GM and DM the upgrade changes from benefit to entitlement.
As a PM, I have never *not* received an upgrade into C+, even TATL. As a GM you may not receive as you would be in line after DM and PM, and by then they may all be gone. According to Delta, Upgrades into C+ are a confirmed benefit for PM and DM:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tatus.html/#fb

Last edited by TheStrongOne; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:52 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by TheStrongOne
As a PM, I have never *not* received an upgrade into C+, even TATL. As a GM you may not receive as you would be in line after DM and PM, and by then they may all be gone.
I booked a TATL flight over the weekend and it was the first time that I didn't receive a C+ upgrade at booking on any flight ever as a PM... Confirmed with Twitter that there was not currently upgrade space available.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As a PM, I have never *not* received an upgrade into C+, even TATL. As a GM you may not receive as you would be in line after DM and PM, and by then they may all be gone. According to Delta, Upgrades into C+ are a confirmed benefit for PM and DM:
I think you're missing the posters question. No DM aren't entitled to them, it's still a benefit just as at GM. Its subject to the same controls as a GM, just a different window allowing the upgrade.

As for the main post, this has been well known and documented in threads here. How far out from departure are you booking?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by mills1090
I booked a TATL flight over the weekend and it was the first time that I didn't receive a C+ upgrade at booking on any flight ever as a PM... Confirmed with Twitter that there was not currently upgrade space available.
Are C+ seats available for sale on the website? Not just showing on the seatmap?

I pretty much never get C+ at time of booking (because it is always sold out) - but I've never seen an instance where they were selling C+ seats and I could not get an upgrade.

Not saying that Delta doesn't capacity control C+, but I've never seen it.

On almost all planes, they block a number of C+ seats for gate assignments. On 767s it seems like they block as many of 6. Interestingly, unlike domestics (e.g., 739 with 10C and 10B blocked for gate assignment), they do actually tend to release them the day of the flight. But in those cases, C+ is not for sale.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Are C+ seats available for sale on the website? Not just showing on the seatmap?

I pretty much never get C+ at time of booking (because it is always sold out) - but I've never seen an instance where they were selling C+ seats and I could not get an upgrade.

Not saying that Delta doesn't capacity control C+, but I've never seen it.

On almost all planes, they block a number of C+ seats for gate assignments. On 767s it seems like they block as many of 6. Interestingly, unlike domestics (e.g., 739 with 10C and 10B blocked for gate assignment), they do actually tend to release them the day of the flight. But in those cases, C+ is not for sale.
There are C+ seats available for sale, 18 show available on the seatmap as well (showing and upgrade for $149, fat chance)... It is a 767, travel date is in 140 days or so. I was planning on following up if I didn't clear in a week or two.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:38 pm

You missed my question... are DM guaranteed C+? Seems like Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. I can't find any wording in the link you provided to indicate DM gets an upgrade regardless of availability. It just says upgrades clear shortly after booking. It says GM clear 72 hours prior. But again that doesn't guarantee an upgrade.

I know why I don't get upgraded, that is not the question. You know there could be DM in front of other DM or 360 for that matter right? I realize you usually get the upgrade but DM aren't actually guaranteed an upgrade are they?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by defrosted
You missed my question... are DM guaranteed C+? Seems like Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. I can't find any wording in the link you provided to indicate DM gets an upgrade regardless of availability. It just says upgrades clear shortly after booking. It says GM clear 72 hours prior. But again that doesn't guarantee an upgrade.

I know why I don't get upgraded, that is not the question. You know there could be DM in front of other DM or 360 for that matter right? I realize you usually get the upgrade but DM aren't actually guaranteed an upgrade are they?
Of course not.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course not.
You know that.
I know that.
Apparently some do not.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
In a past sub-discussion of a similar point, I collected a few reports/claims where C+ did not clear immediately despite W>0:

Originally Posted by Zorak
How do you know this? Do you have GDS access or whatever or are you saying you've done test bookings and been instantly "upgraded" (which isn't exactly the same, but ok)

I mean, my personal experience is that I always get C+ at booking but I generally book at in advance. There have definitely been reports from people of not getting it at booking though.

Here's one thread, there may be other posts buried in the gigantic C+ thread from a while ago.

C+ 'upgrades' being held back

EDIT: here's another

Diamond Medallion comfort + lack of upgrade after booking "revenue hold"

... and two more, you get the idea (granted some of these reports were met with skepticism/alternate explanations and may be inconclusive)

Delta holding back C+ upgrade inventory

Diamond Medallion - no longer getting instant upgrade to Economy Plus?
flyerCO and defrosted like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.