C+ 'upgrades' being held back

Old Oct 31, 17, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
C+ 'upgrades' being held back

So just booked a flight to Vegas around CES time... first segment BOS-ATL cleared immediately into C+. Second segment ATL-LAS is still sitting there and not clearing, despite the flight having W9 for inventory.

Apparently DL is holding back C+ 'upgrades' even though the cabin is wide open, and the website also says 'upgrade available to Comfort+' when you hover over the upgrade availability hypertext.

Twitter just tells me I am on the upgrade list and seats are available for purchase but no other info.

Bad form Delta
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the website says "upgrade available" rather than "upgrade eligible", there should be upgrade inventory. Call DL. You might want to escalate to a supervisor or try to talk to tech support.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Twitter says they are available for purchase but not for upgrades. I say BS. The website also wants to sell me the 'upgrade' for over $110 for just that segment along, while during the purchase process it said $99 for the whole trip.

Going to try calling later.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm curious... has anyone else NOT had a eligible C+ 'upgrade' clear when there were loads of W seats available?
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I'm curious... has anyone else NOT had a eligible C+ 'upgrade' clear when there were loads of W seats available?
Never and I generally purchase tickets 2-4 weeks prior to travel.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM
Never had this issue. Even when one or two C+ seats are remaining, I get the upgrade shortly after ticketing.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
PM here. I've had this happen twice now. The first time, the C+ upgrade eventually cleared a couple weeks after booking. But, I also have a Vegas flight for CES which has not cleared for me.

My guess is that they expect to be able to sell them all due to high demand.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:36 pm

Might be a glitch but my guess it's revenue management. They will sell every seat on every flight to LAS for CES - no need to give them away.

BTW, talking of CES - SJC-LAS a little over $400 r/t!
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I think they overestimated their demand at first, since they had insanely high prices for months to CES and the planes were staying empty... now all of a sudden they opened up the cheap inventory but not allowing DM/PM access to C+? Very shady
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:40 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I haven't had it happen when "loads" were available. I did have it happen last year when I bought a DTW-LAX ticket two weeks out and there were only about 3 C+ seats left. However, I didn't check if the website said there were upgrades available or not (and ultimately cancelled the ticket in the 24 hour window).
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow, as a DM you can't pick C+ during the booking process for free? I just assumed you could.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:48 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Wow, as a DM you can't pick C+ during the booking process for free? I just assumed you could.
There has to be inventory in the SU bucket (and you are inside your window), just like there has to RU inventory to get upgraded to F. While there is generally SU inventory if there are open W seats, there are no guarantees. Whether or not there is SU inventory here is the question. There was a longtime bug where delta.com was always showing F upgrades available (RU bucket) even though there was no inventory. While they have now apparently fixed this, there might still be issues with showing SU availability.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm not sure why this comes as a surprise. There is no reason they would have made C+ a separate cabin and designed a whole upgrade process around it if they didn't intend to manage (read: withhold) upgrade inventory for it just like they do for First Class seats... prior generosity in releasing this inventory notwithstanding.
Old Oct 31, 17, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
There has to be inventory in the SU bucket (and you are inside your window), just like there has to RU inventory to get upgraded to F. While there is generally SU inventory if there are open W seats, there are no guarantees. Whether or not there is SU inventory here is the question. There was a longtime bug where delta.com was always showing F upgrades available (RU bucket) even though there was no inventory. While they have now apparently fixed this, there might still be issues with showing SU availability.
I think many people are unaware that C+ upgrade inventory is capacity controlled. (Just like First Class upgrade inventory). It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Old Oct 31, 17, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
As somoene who tends to book very close in, this is a very welcome change. Perhaps the days of being on a B fare and getting stuck in a middle seat are coming to an end?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: