Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diamond Medallion - no longer getting instant upgrade to Economy Plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

HI All,

Hoping the experts on here can shed some light on this and I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed in a earlier post.

Recently I purchased/ booked a flight from MLB to SAN then back to MLB via SNA after the July 4th holiday on my company's corp. travel portal. I did not book the low price, basic economy seats that restrict my upgrade ability.

Normally after I book, roughly 15-30 minutes later I get a instant upgrade to Economy Plus which is probably the one perk I value the most about DM second only to the FC upgrades I usually get a week out from departure.

So after a couple of hours of purchase I checked my app and I was surprised that for all four segments I was still back in a standard coach seat. So I started to look at the seating chart on the Delta app and the grey X's seem to indicate that every single Economy Plus and FC seats are completely booked! This surprised me as it's four weeks out and I can't ever recall every single EP and FC seats being sold out on any domestic flights ( I fly domestic weekly so I look at a lot of seating charts!).

This got me thinking so just for the heck of it I went on my Delta App and plugged in the same travel dates to purchase a second ticket and low and behold.... there's plenty of EC and FC seats available for purchase!

So is this the end of the EC upgrade shortly after booking and FC upgrade (5 days out of checkin) perks for DMs? Did Delta send out a notification that I missed notifying us that these perks are being 86'd?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The seatmap being all grayed out is a known issue - DL is blocking either intentionally or as a side effect of other changes, seat availability in other cabins than the one you are booked in (unless you have an upgrade offer - then you can see other cabin seats).

This could be one of a couple things...
Corp booking portal may not immediately ticket, so DL won't process the upgrade until the ticketing process is complete and there is a ticket issued. Did you get a receipt, or can you view your ticket receipt online to see if it was issued a 006 number yet?

Something may be stuck - go to your reservation managed upgrades section and de-select the comfort+ upgrade request, save and then re-select it.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Be prepared to get a link to a thread discussing the graying out of seats not in the cabin your booked in.

Will probably get some correction that there is no such thing as Economy plus on Delta (it's Comfort +).

Good luck and sorry I wasn't more help. On the mobile site and hard to do a search.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
The seatmap being all grayed out is a known issue - DL is blocking either intentionally or as a side effect of other changes, seat availability in other cabins than the one you are booked in (unless you have an upgrade offer - then you can see other cabin seats).

This could be one of a couple things...
Corp booking portal may not immediately ticket, so DL won't process the upgrade until the ticketing process is complete and there is a ticket issued. Did you get a receipt, or can you view your ticket receipt online to see if it was issued a 006 number yet?

Something may be stuck - go to your reservation managed upgrades section and de-select the comfort+ upgrade request, save and then re-select it.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll call my corp. travel agent, maybe I some how screwed this booking up.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Sometimes when I book through a third party my upgrade preferences don't make it through, make sure the "request upgrade to comfort+" is selected on the PNR.

Worst case just call and ask about it, I'm sure the Diamond line will be happy to help.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
Be prepared to get a link to a thread discussing the graying out of seats not in the cabin your booked in.

Will probably get some correction that there is no such thing as Economy plus on Delta (it's Comfort +).

Good luck and sorry I wasn't more help. On the mobile site and hard to do a search.
thanks! I have never seen the all greyed out issue so this is a first occurrence for me. Hence why I'm on here asking the experts!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:52 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beachsideflier
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll call my corp. travel agent, maybe I some how screwed this booking up.
Check the res on DL.com to see if your upgrade preferences reflect a C+ upgrade by segment.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the record, there is no guarantee that you will get an upgrade to C+ just because there is an open seat. Like FC upgrades, DL limits the number of C+ seats available for upgrades and if there is no C+ upgrade inventory you will not be upgraded nor will be able to pick one just because there is an open seat. For a flight booked fairly far in advance, there will generally be C+ upgrade inventory. But there are no guarantees.

I booked a DTW-LAX flight a couple weeks out once and while there were still a few open C+ seats, there was no upgrade inventory and thus I was not upgraded.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
For the record, there is no guarantee that you will get an upgrade to C+ just because there is an open seat. Like FC upgrades, DL limits the number of C+ seats available for upgrades and if there is no C+ upgrade inventory you will not be upgraded nor will be able to pick one just because there is an open seat. For a flight booked fairly far in advance, there will generally be C+ upgrade inventory. But there are no guarantees.

I booked a DTW-LAX flight a couple weeks out once and while there were still a few open C+ seats, there was no upgrade inventory and thus I was not upgraded.
This.

Although I book 6+ weeks in advance 99% of the time and currently have never been not upgraded instantly as a PM. Many flights and many segments.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ

while technically true, I have not yet seen a case where C+ seats are available for sale but do not clear for upgrades. (in every case where there are open seats in C+ on the seatmap and I didn't clear, no C+ seats were actually being offered for sale.)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by beachsideflier
So is this the end of the EC upgrade shortly after booking and FC upgrade (5 days out of checkin) perks for DMs? Did Delta send out a notification that I missed notifying us that these perks are being 86'd?
Has your reservation ticketed - you won't get the upgrade until that happens.

You can't even select a preferred seat until your reservation is ticketed. Might try selecting a preferred seat and see if it goes.

David
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:21 pm

I am very familiar with MLB-XXX-SAN. Purchasing one week out, it is almost certain that all the available C+ seats that DL revenue management have released to date for C+ upgrades are gone.

This year, on some other routes that I frequently fly, it is clear to me that DL revenue management is releasing significantly less C+ seats for Diamond upgrades in advance.

On routes originating in Asia and flying through NRT, it appears that DL revenue management has simply stopped releasing C+ seats in advance for Diamonds on all non-US segments.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
I am very familiar with MLB-XXX-SAN. Purchasing one week out, it is almost certain that all the available C+ seats that DL revenue management have released to date for C+ upgrades are gone.

This year, on some other routes that I frequently fly, it is clear to me that DL revenue management is releasing significantly less C+ seats for Diamond upgrades in advance.

On routes originating in Asia and flying through NRT, it appears that DL revenue management has simply stopped releasing C+ seats in advance for Diamonds on all non-US segments.
Im betting that has more to do with switch to A350. Plenty of pissed of elites, if upgraded and then downgraded when A350 with no C+ starts flying.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Im betting that has more to do with switch to A350. Plenty of pissed of elites, if upgraded and then downgraded when A350 with no C+ starts flying.
Don't think A350 will be used on these routes in July! Paint job on the first DL A350 just about completed
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Don't think A350 will be used on these routes in July! Paint job on the first DL A350 just about completed
Didn't give date so figured was talking about fall or later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.