Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pulling BS on C+ upgrade (Diamond not clearing at time of booking)?

Delta pulling BS on C+ upgrade (Diamond not clearing at time of booking)?

Old Jul 1, 19, 1:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 953
Delta pulling BS on C+ upgrade (Diamond not clearing at time of booking)?

Has this happened to anyone recently? My C+ upgrades have always cleared at the time of booking.

Now, they're not, even if there is space. On routes between US and an EU location. Even called Delta and they said yeah I'm on the list, but there's no C+ space, even though there's C+ seats open. What am I Diamond for? To get this kind of crap from Delta?
Rommie2k6 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco
Programs: DL
Posts: 272
All upgrades are capacity controlled just like domestic F is. You can see if you’ll get upgraded before you book by clicking on the upgrade eligibility link.
dlflyer00 is online now  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
Has this happened to anyone recently? My C+ upgrades have always cleared at the time of booking.

Now, they're not, even if there is space. On routes between US and an EU location. Even called Delta and they said yeah I'm on the list, but there's no C+ space, even though there's C+ seats open. What am I Diamond for? To get this kind of crap from Delta?
Seats open on the seat map ≠ seats available. Some confirmed customers may not have a seat assignment.
HDQDD likes this.
rucksack is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:46 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 953
This is not about upgrade eligibility, is about C+ not clearing at time of booking which is standard for Diamonds.
Rommie2k6 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
All upgrades are capacity controlled just like domestic F is. You can see if you’ll get upgraded before you book by clicking on the upgrade eligibility link.
As far as I know, C+ upgrades are not capacity controlled... yet.
rucksack is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:48 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 953
Originally Posted by rucksack View Post


As far as I know, C+ upgrades are not capacity controlled... yet.
I guess they are now... this is beyond ridiculous.
Rommie2k6 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:52 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco
Programs: DL
Posts: 272
Not 100% on it being a capacity control but I’ve definitely seen this type of thing happen and thought I’ve heard it mentioned here. In any event, are C+ fares still being sold? That might be another indicator of whether or not they have passengers without seat assignments (but they may also oversell the cabin too, I guess, so...)
dlflyer00 is online now  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:55 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
I guess they are now... this is beyond ridiculous.
On the one hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Delta starting controlling C+ upgrade inventory. But I wouldn't rush to judgement here. As I mentioned, the seat map is not a reliable indicator of seats available as a number of customers may not have assigned seats. This is especially true for agency bookings.
MSPeconomist likes this.
rucksack is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 357
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
This is not about upgrade eligibility, is about C+ not clearing at time of booking which is standard for Diamonds.
Originally Posted by rucksack View Post


As far as I know, C+ upgrades are not capacity controlled... yet.
C+ upgrades have been subject to fare bucket availability ever since DL made C+ it's own booking class, even for DMs/PMs. You need OU or RU availability to be automatically upgraded (sorry can't remember which is to FC vs. C+). Typically that is available at booking, but for whatever reason rev management may be holding back those seats from upgrade availability, maybe more have sold than they initially expected for this point in time and they expect to sell more, maybe the flight historically has more paid C+ so they don't want to give them away yet, or maybe their algorithm screwed up and 0'd those buckets. For whatever reason, the fare bucket required for ugprades doesn't have any complementary upgrades available at the time, and no matter how much you ask they can't upgrade you until RevMgmt releases availability into the C+ upgrade bucket.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:14 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
C+ upgrades have been subject to fare bucket availability ever since DL made C+ it's own booking class, even for DMs/PMs. You need OU or RU availability to be automatically upgraded (sorry can't remember which is to FC vs. C+). Typically that is available at booking, but for whatever reason rev management may be holding back those seats from upgrade availability, maybe more have sold than they initially expected for this point in time and they expect to sell more, maybe the flight historically has more paid C+ so they don't want to give them away yet, or maybe their algorithm screwed up and 0'd those buckets. For whatever reason, the fare bucket required for ugprades doesn't have any complementary upgrades available at the time, and no matter how much you ask they can't upgrade you until RevMgmt releases availability into the C+ upgrade bucket.
I knew that Delta had the technical capability to do this with the new fare system, but I hadn't seen anything but isolated cases of this happening, which could be chalked up to errors/glitches rather than a policy change. Albeit dated, but this came from a Delta employee when I raised this issue a few years ago:

Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
I haven't seen a single flight that's selling W class and doesn't have the same amount of WU availability or more.
rucksack is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 3:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 1,112
Maybe because your destination is Europe? I thought C+ confirmed at booking was only for North America?
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 4:14 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 357
Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
I knew that Delta had the technical capability to do this with the new fare system, but I hadn't seen anything but isolated cases of this happening, which could be chalked up to errors/glitches rather than a policy change. Albeit dated, but this came from a Delta employee when I raised this issue a few years ago:
My experience last year was a couple flights I didn't clear at T-24 even though they were selling C+ seats. So they've definitely held back C+ upgrades, PMs/DMs probably don't notice since they do typically get them at booking, but rarely as your situation shows they could be holding back. My guess is there's something unique going on, like a group buying up a bunch of the seats early or more people purchasing them earlier than expected and DL thinks they can sell the rest still. I envision a scenario something like they expect they could sell 16 more seats between now and departure, but had an early run on people purchasing C+ seats so only have 10 left to sell, in that case it wouldn't make sense to give any of them away as upgrades until their future sales projections fall short.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Maybe because your destination is Europe? I thought C+ confirmed at booking was only for North America?
Actually used to be the other way around. When C+ was it's own fare class in NA, but still an add-on seat purchase TATL, any medallion could choose them for free at booking. Once they finally made C+ it's own class for TATL (2-3 years ago?) they became upgrades handled like the rest of the system.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 5:28 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 537
Over the last year or so I’ve definitely seen a few cases where W was still being sold but C+ “upgrades” did not clear in advance. I kind of thought it was common knowledge on FT that W upgrades are capacity controlled.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:17 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,302
Whatever happened to the rule that " If you want XXX class, pay for XXX class"?
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:22 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NY
Programs: DL PM (ST E+), AA PM, UA SM
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
This is not about upgrade eligibility, is about C+ not clearing at time of booking which is standard for Diamonds.
Can't clear into a C+ seat if they have all been taken, right? Are you certain there was availability (not on seat map, but on the website for purchase).

Twice this month I cleared C+ immediately for PRG-JFK.

Last edited by TheStrongOne; Jul 1, 19 at 6:24 am Reason: clarity
TheStrongOne is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread