Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France / KLM O paid business class fare earning with Delta (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France / KLM O paid business class fare earning with Delta (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:49 am

I thought O was the booking class for business class awards. Has that changed recently?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by michael_v
I thought O was the booking class for business class awards. Has that changed recently?
it still is....but i was told by the diamond desk that every now & then klm/air france will come up with a cheap business class fare in 'o' class that earns miles in the flying blue program but not with delta....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
O is the booking class for DL marketed award flights. We are talking about KL/AF marketed flights and they do not used O for an award booking class and are instead using it for revenue business class seats in some markets. Not all booking classes align between DL and it's partners.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
O is the booking class for DL marketed award flights. We are talking about KL/AF marketed flights and they do not used O for an award booking class and are instead using it for revenue business class seats in some markets. Not all booking classes align between DL and it's partners.
So what is the KL/AF booking class for business class awards?

I thought it was O. I have an award ticket booked with KE miles and one KLM flight in it is ticketed in class O.

Last edited by michael_v; Feb 15, 2019 at 10:16 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not all booking classes align between DL and it's partners.
True! And yet KL and AF's award booking class for business class is...O.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's no reason KL can't use O for deeply discounted business, as it does for awards, with a combined paid/award inventory. The SkyMiles earning structure just means O is exempt from earning.

As always, check partner booking classes for earning if SkyMiles earning is important to you.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's no reason KL can't use O for deeply discounted business, as it does for awards, with a combined paid/award inventory. The SkyMiles earning structure just means O is exempt from earning.

As always, check partner booking classes for earning if SkyMiles earning is important to you.
i don't remember ever seeing a revenue business class fare available on delta directly that didn't earn miles....this is definitely a first for me....

the diamond desk did tell me that since i was not informed at the time of booking that this fare won't earn miles, i can cancel at anytime without a penalty & can use the value of the ticket for upto 1 year from my original booking date....so at least i have that option if i can't upgrade later to a class that is eligible for mileage earning....
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
i don't remember ever seeing a revenue business class fare available on delta directly that didn't earn miles....this is definitely a first for me....

the diamond desk did tell me that since i was not informed at the time of booking that this fare won't earn miles, i can cancel at anytime without a penalty & can use the value of the ticket for upto 1 year from my original booking date....so at least i have that option if i can't upgrade later to a class that is eligible for mileage earning....
I hope someone documented this for you as I could imagine some other agent later denying the free change.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope someone documented this for you as I could imagine some other agent later denying the free change.
they did....the agent added the notes & i made him read it out to me so that i knew exactly what he had put in....then just to make sure i called back right after i hung up the first call to see if another agent could see the notes....the next agent confirmed that she could....so hopefully i shouldn't have a problem....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
As a (now) Europe-based SkyMiles member this is a PITA -- "O" class seems to have replaced "Z" as the cheapest revenue business class fare bucket on AF/KL for all markets other than to/from North America. Means that if I want to earn credit for (the often reasonable) paid business class tickets on AF/KL to Asia or Africa, I need to either buy up to a higher fare class (which I refuse to do on principle) or fly other SkyMiles partners. Or, more realistically, fly BA and try to maintain DL status on the basis of North America trips on DL/VS/KL/AF and Delta Reserve MQMs...

I just wrote in about this, and hopefully others will do the same -- odds are nothing happens, but it *does* seem bizarre to me that (e.g.) I can earn 100% MQMs on a cheap V fare but nothing on a paid business class fare...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
As a (now) Europe-based SkyMiles member this is a PITA -- "O" class seems to have replaced "Z" as the cheapest revenue business class fare bucket on AF/KL for all markets other than to/from North America. Means that if I want to earn credit for (the often reasonable) paid business class tickets on AF/KL to Asia or Africa, I need to either buy up to a higher fare class (which I refuse to do on principle) or fly other SkyMiles partners. Or, more realistically, fly BA and try to maintain DL status on the basis of North America trips on DL/VS/KL/AF and Delta Reserve MQMs...

I just wrote in about this, and hopefully others will do the same -- odds are nothing happens, but it *does* seem bizarre to me that (e.g.) I can earn 100% MQMs on a cheap V fare but nothing on a paid business class fare...
I was 'burned' by this last summer. A deeply discounted J/O business class ticket BUD-AMS-CTU rt. No earnings for the AMS-CTU-AMS legs which were O class. I will say that the discount was very, very big.
It did make me careful about booking the current $2100+ deal LAX-BKK. The receipt shows Z for all legs and I also contacted KL whatsapp to verify that the whole trip is booked in Z.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
I was 'burned' by this last summer. A deeply discounted J/O business class ticket BUD-AMS-CTU rt. No earnings for the AMS-CTU-AMS legs which were O class. I will say that the discount was very, very big.
It did make me careful about booking the current $2100+ deal LAX-BKK. The receipt shows Z for all legs and I also contacted KL whatsapp to verify that the whole trip is booked in Z.
LAX-BKK shouldn't be an issue -- these "O" fares aren't in North American markets yet.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
LAX-BKK shouldn't be an issue -- these "O" fares aren't in North American markets yet.
what surprised me was that it was a mixed fare. J for intra Europe and O for Europe-Asia.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:47 am

KQ also has O fare

i just completed a trip yesterday to CPT. I found a great business class fare. Too great now for miles. I booked directly with KQ in O class. Looking at the partners’ earning charts, I see that O class is not listed for mileage earn. I was looking forward to the thousands of miles. Oh well. Still a great deal and great trip. (Except for the lost bag which couldn’t be put in the computer for a case number because there isn’t one anywhere in the arrivals area at ROB!)

Update: it came on today’s flight, thank goodness
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Skymiles earning for KLM O-class business class fares

Just about to book a return flight AMS-CUR on KLM when I noticed that it would be not in J, C, I or Z, but in O class. I was used to O being used only for reward tickets, but it seems that KLM has started to use O as a regular fare class for revenue based tickets, using it for restricted business class fares.

However, in the current Delta Skymiles partner earning chart for KLM, O is not listed, which would mean that it would not earn MQM's or miles. Or it might be that the earning chart is simply outdated? Does anyone have any experience with this? Might have already taken a flight on an O class fare and had it credited? I have (of course) already contacted Delta about this but am still awaiting an answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.