Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

'Mislabeled' fare class on partner and Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Mislabeled' fare class on partner and Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Here is a suggestion, which isn't specific to the OP's I vs J problem or MU. The trick to avoiding pain and frustration on partner flights is to get the ff number correctly assigned by the partner airline so that Delta processes it without human intervention. Having the Skymiles ff number correctly printed on a partner boarding pass is no guarantee success. But keep the bp to claim miles in any case.

Get the reservation number. Get the partner ticket number. Go to Garuda Airlines website and find the "Check your flight" screen. Enter name and reservation number. That search will fail. When the screen refreshes, it will have a box for name and now ticket number. Enter the ticket number. It will pull up your partner flights, even if not on Garuda. When I tried this for a recent China Southern (CZ) ticket, it had my correct Skymiles number, but CZ's ff program. This is despite having CZ add it to my reservation as Skymile (not their miles).

The Garuda website screen has pick box around the ff program name. Change it to Delta Skymiles. Save. You get a confirmation e-mail from Garuda. I think the overwhelming problem is that our ff numbers are getting assigned to the partner's ff program, which is why Delta says "ineligible for credit" initially. At least until they can verify no partner miles were earned.
Funny, I was able to pull up my current ticket and it showed a MU FF number. I called Garuda (I had tried MU before it apparently didn't change) and they changed it to a DL FF number! So let's see what happens on my return portion.

I have a 2nd MU ticket mid-July. The Garuda system won't pull it up at all.

Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
What does your ticket verification say? I did some more digging and found this website. https://us.ceair.com/en/ticket-verification. This assist and show Delta what credit you should actually receive.
Ticket verification shows I - J - J - I as fare classes. Feel like Delta would just point right back to fare basis code based on all the convos I've had so far.

The only new information I see here is under conditions of use, it says: "Q/NON-END. NON-REF AFT DEPT. PENALTY APPLY. -BG MU"

Ticket verification does pull up my other trip in July. Shows same info.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
When you look online at your DL FF account activity does it show the fare class as J or I? I'm wondering if MU is reporting it correctly to DL. AFAIK DL wouldn't ever know the fare basis since this wasn't a DL issued ticket, nor a DL operated or marketed flight.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
When you look online at your DL FF account activity does it show the fare class as J or I? I'm wondering if MU is reporting it correctly to DL. AFAIK DL wouldn't ever know the fare basis since this wasn't a DL issued ticket, nor a DL operated or marketed flight.
Shows as J still for even my return and upcoming flights.

I did have them linked to my Delta connection flight. Could be pulling the detail from that?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by patel33
Shows as J still for even my return and upcoming flights.

I did have them linked to my Delta connection flight. Could be pulling the detail from that?
No I mean when you look at your posted frequent flyer activity. Not when you pull up reservation. If you go into account activity and pull up where the MU flight posted, it should show fare class paid/flown. Does this show J or I?

ETA - Nevermind. I just went to pull up an example to screenshot. Apparently they still have the detail section that says Fsre Class Paid/Flown, but aren't displaying the info. The field is blank.

My point was to see if MU was correctly reporting the fare class and not reporting as Paid I, but flew J.

If you don't get a positive response to your emails, write (via snail mail) a letter to DL corporate services. Include a copy of the receipt and BP and note that you paid for J, not I. Sadly it seems those front/1st line employees thst handle SM are all brand new and have very little knowledge. Thus they don't know something is wrong, or have been given bad info.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 6, 2019 at 12:47 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
If you find a way to get them to honor the fare classes that were booked, please let me know. I am in a similar situation. Someone posted that Delta twitter said that underlying base fares do not matter on the international legs. If someone could find that in documentation, this argument would be solved. What irritates me, is the difference in MQDs/MQMs could potentially impact me in the future. Luckily, this year, I qualified for Diamond in mid-April, otherwise I would search until I found language that overruled what Delta is saying.
I've flown MU through PVG into Asia twice in the last 6 months, both times in classes I-J-J-I, and both times posted correctly and automatically.

One was booked on MU website, the other through an OTA, all with MU flight numbers, no codeshares. Although they included my Skymiles number at booking, it was assigned to MU's program, not DL. So both times I went into Garuda and switched the FF program to DL.

Boarding passes printed with DL ff#, and everything posted correctly, including extra J class MQMs.

Last edited by ULDB65; Jun 6, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
This is what DL has sees. The ticket designation and the fare class. Even though the column 6 says one class, column 10 is what they are awarding miles on. It's irritating because, at booking, I would not have know that this was an up-fare with an underlying base fare.

I have submitted four sources of documentation showing what I paid for and DL still refuses to give credit. The four sources include boarding passes, booking confirmation, ticket verification, and direct MU communication. Basically what I'm saying, is good luck.

Last edited by SouthernCanada; Jun 6, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: Adding the image to what DL sees
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

No I mean when you look at your posted frequent flyer activity. Not when you pull up reservation. If you go into account activity and pull up where the MU flight posted, it should show fare class paid/flown. Does this show J or I?

ETA - Nevermind. I just went to pull up an example to screenshot. Apparently they still have the detail section that says Fsre Class Paid/Flown, but aren't displaying the info. The field is blank.

My point was to see if MU was correctly reporting the fare class and not reporting as Paid I, but flew J.

If you don't get a positive response to your emails, write (via snail mail) a letter to DL corporate services. Include a copy of the receipt and BP and note that you paid for J, not I. Sadly it seems those front/1st line employees thst handle SM are all brand new and have very little knowledge. Thus they don't know something is wrong, or have been given bad info.
Corporate was the next place I would go. Going to wait to see how the return flight credits since I have the DL FF on the ticket via Garuda website.

Originally Posted by ULDB65
I've flown MU through PVG into Asia twice in the last 6 months, both times in classes I-J-J-I, and both times posted correctly and automatically.

One was booked on MU website, the other through an OTA, all with MU flight numbers, no codeshares. Although they included my Skymiles number at booking, it was assigned to MU's program, not DL. So both times I went into Garuda and switched the FF program to DL.

Boarding passes printed with DL ff#, and everything posted correctly, including extra J class MQMs.
Yeah, I wish I could use the Garuda trick with my July reservation. For some reason, ticket number doesn't pull up on Garuda or Saudi websites.

This is what DL has sees. The ticket designation and the fare class. Even though the column 6 says one class, column 10 is what they are awarding miles on. It's irritating because, at booking, I would not have know that this was an up-fare with an underlying base fare.

I have submitted four sources of documentation showing what I paid for and DL still refuses to give credit. The four sources include boarding passes, booking confirmation, ticket verification, and direct MU communication. Basically what I'm saying, is good luck.
Yep this is exactly what seems to be happening.
olegator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.