Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

'Mislabeled' fare class on partner and Delta

'Mislabeled' fare class on partner and Delta

Old Jun 2, 19, 12:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
'Mislabeled' fare class on partner and Delta

Flew LAX-PVG-DEL on MU. My China Eastern ticket showed the fare class as I and J.

Am DL Platinum and was using the trip for all the extra MQMs I'd get.

I called Delta to link the to my ATL-LAX segment. All flight showed up in my Delta app with the fare classes as above.

Fast forward a week... Both are denied all mileage DL credit due to partner denying credit. I call and tweet Delta and they reque it and I get credit... Except my PVG-DEL is only credited as I class even though listed as J. They said the route code is coded as an I class.

Any one ever had that happen? Was using this and a couple future MU flights to bump up to DL diamond... But these "bump downs" are going to make me miss that.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 4:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: Skymiles Gold
Posts: 589
Any chance you have the original boarding pass?
Weekend Away is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 4:43 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 19,678
Were the flights codeshares? MU or DL flight numbers?
Codeshares do not always map 1 to 1

https://www.wheretocredit.com/china-eastern-airlines/i
https://www.wheretocredit.com/china-eastern-airlines/j
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 10:30 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vietnam & USA
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 453
I did something similar and had no issue at all.
I did JFK-LAX on a DL ticket and flight number, then LAX-PVG-SGN , also as I transpac, and J in Asia.

Worked as advertised both ways.

The only thing I did different was not to link the trips until I was checking in at JFK, so they would check my bags thru to SGN.

Good luck
wxman22 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:04 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
Any chance you have the original boarding pass?
Yes, still have boarding passes.
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:10 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Were the flights codeshares? MU or DL flight numbers?
Codeshares do not always map 1 to 1
They were MU flights. I'm being told the fare basis or routing codes are listed as "I" even thought the class for one segment shows up as "J." So, they credit based off of the routing codes not the listed fare class. I understand the words they are telling me, just sucks if I have to dig through routing codes each time I book a ticket to know how many miles I would earn!

Originally Posted by wxman22 View Post
I did something similar and had no issue at all.
I did JFK-LAX on a DL ticket and flight number, then LAX-PVG-SGN , also as I transpac, and J in Asia.

Worked as advertised both ways.

The only thing I did different was not to link the trips until I was checking in at JFK, so they would check my bags thru to SGN.

Good luck
Hmmm... and you got J MQM credit for the PVG-SGN? Yea, not sure what else I could really do now.
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:18 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,568
Here is a suggestion, which isn't specific to the OP's I vs J problem or MU. The trick to avoiding pain and frustration on partner flights is to get the ff number correctly assigned by the partner airline so that Delta processes it without human intervention. Having the Skymiles ff number correctly printed on a partner boarding pass is no guarantee success. But keep the bp to claim miles in any case.

Get the reservation number. Get the partner ticket number. Go to Garuda Airlines website and find the "Check your flight" screen. Enter name and reservation number. That search will fail. When the screen refreshes, it will have a box for name and now ticket number. Enter the ticket number. It will pull up your partner flights, even if not on Garuda. When I tried this for a recent China Southern (CZ) ticket, it had my correct Skymiles number, but CZ's ff program. This is despite having CZ add it to my reservation as Skymile (not their miles).

The Garuda website screen has pick box around the ff program name. Change it to Delta Skymiles. Save. You get a confirmation e-mail from Garuda. I think the overwhelming problem is that our ff numbers are getting assigned to the partner's ff program, which is why Delta says "ineligible for credit" initially. At least until they can verify no partner miles were earned.
langbr01 and strickerj like this.
Bowgie is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:52 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
DELETED

Last edited by patel33; Jun 4, 19 at 10:36 pm Reason: Duplicate post
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:56 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
Here is a suggestion, which isn't specific to the OP's I vs J problem or MU. The trick to avoiding pain and frustration on partner flights is to get the ff number correctly assigned by the partner airline so that Delta processes it without human intervention. Having the Skymiles ff number correctly printed on a partner boarding pass is no guarantee success. But keep the bp to claim miles in any case.

Get the reservation number. Get the partner ticket number. Go to Garuda Airlines website and find the "Check your flight" screen. Enter name and reservation number. That search will fail. When the screen refreshes, it will have a box for name and now ticket number. Enter the ticket number. It will pull up your partner flights, even if not on Garuda. When I tried this for a recent China Southern (CZ) ticket, it had my correct Skymiles number, but CZ's ff program. This is despite having CZ add it to my reservation as Skymile (not their miles).

The Garuda website screen has pick box around the ff program name. Change it to Delta Skymiles. Save. You get a confirmation e-mail from Garuda. I think the overwhelming problem is that our ff numbers are getting assigned to the partner's ff program, which is why Delta says "ineligible for credit" initially. At least until they can verify no partner miles were earned.
I will do the Garuda thing in the future.

However, I did have the DL FF printed on my BP and have them saved. I called MU beforehand to make sure they were on the reservation. When I checked in with MU at LAX, they couldn't see it (surprise surprise) so they added them at the gate. But are definitely on there.
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:45 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
DELETED

Last edited by patel33; Jun 4, 19 at 10:35 pm Reason: Duplicate post
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:51 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 24,827
Originally Posted by patel33 View Post
They were MU flights. I'm being told the fare basis or routing codes are listed as "I" even thought the class for one segment shows up as "J." So, they credit based off of the routing codes not the listed fare class. I understand the words they are telling me, just sucks if I have to dig through routing codes each time I book a ticket to know how many miles I would earn!


Hmmm... and you got J MQM credit for the PVG-SGN? Yea, not sure what else I could really do now.
Understand they were MU flights, but were they sold with MU flight number or a codeshare flight number?

What does your original receipt show as the booking fare class for each flight? Absent any changes you should earn based on the marketing airline and fare class listed. I'd submit a copy of the receipt if it shows a different fare class .
flyerCO is online now  
Old Jun 3, 19, 9:26 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: Skymiles Gold
Posts: 589
In my experience, the underlying fare basis has not impacted my MU credits to DL. I routinely purchase JFK-PVG-XYZ with the underlying fare T, but the PVG-XYZ being B fare class. I've always received credit for B along with the bonus MQM's. I suggest writing back in to Delta, be kind but persistent, with the copies of your boarding pass and ask them to properly credit you with the intra-Asia J. It's all about the fare class, not the fare code.
Weekend Away is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 10:38 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Understand they were MU flights, but were they sold with MU flight number or a codeshare flight number?

What does your original receipt show as the booking fare class for each flight? Absent any changes you should earn based on the marketing airline and fare class listed. I'd submit a copy of the receipt if it shows a different fare class .
They were MU flights only, not codeshares. Originally fare classes shown as I, J, J, I. Will try to submit, but am getting the same response from all avenues so far.

Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
In my experience, the underlying fare basis has not impacted my MU credits to DL. I routinely purchase JFK-PVG-XYZ with the underlying fare T, but the PVG-XYZ being B fare class. I've always received credit for B along with the bonus MQM's. I suggest writing back in to Delta, be kind but persistent, with the copies of your boarding pass and ask them to properly credit you with the intra-Asia J. It's all about the fare class, not the fare code.
Attempting this, but no luck so far.
patel33 is offline  
Old Jun 5, 19, 8:28 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: KC MO
Programs: Delta. Marriott
Posts: 63
If you find a way to get them to honor the fare classes that were booked, please let me know. I am in a similar situation. Someone posted that Delta twitter said that underlying base fares do not matter on the international legs. If someone could find that in documentation, this argument would be solved. What irritates me, is the difference in MQDs/MQMs could potentially impact me in the future. Luckily, this year, I qualified for Diamond in mid-April, otherwise I would search until I found language that overruled what Delta is saying.
SouthernCanada is offline  
Old Jun 5, 19, 10:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: KC MO
Programs: Delta. Marriott
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by patel33 View Post
Flew LAX-PVG-DEL on MU. My China Eastern ticket showed the fare class as I and J.

Am DL Platinum and was using the trip for all the extra MQMs I'd get.

I called Delta to link the to my ATL-LAX segment. All flight showed up in my Delta app with the fare classes as above.

Fast forward a week... Both are denied all mileage DL credit due to partner denying credit. I call and tweet Delta and they reque it and I get credit... Except my PVG-DEL is only credited as I class even though listed as J. They said the route code is coded as an I class.

Any one ever had that happen? Was using this and a couple future MU flights to bump up to DL diamond... But these "bump downs" are going to make me miss that.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

What does your ticket verification say? I did some more digging and found this website. https://us.ceair.com/en/ticket-verification. This assist and show Delta what credit you should actually receive.
SouthernCanada is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread