Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Haha, fittingly I just boarded an E175 plane in 2C and the person in 1C immediately after sitting down during boarding goes full recline right into my knees..
Which proves people don't care about others, because the first row on an E175 has tons of leg space. Instead of being satisfied, they go for even more by fully reclining.

We usually always book far ahead and for a while now I've been booking the first row of FC so we don't have to deal with it any longer.

I wish the airlines would just fix all the seats with a partial recline that cannot be adjusted. Does sitting up straight really save that many lives if something suddenly happened during landing or take off?
strickerj and pulpfiction78 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
You know in the 1980's this was not a problem because first class seating had a great amount of leg room and plenty of space to stretch out. Perhaps if the airlines went back to First Class in the 80's standards, all this would be taken care of.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:09 am

Hope others on the forum, who happen to fly AA as well (I fly DL and AA as my most frequent carriers) notice what AA does on its F class seats. Granted this is not an F class issue on the table. Once again, if an AA pax wants recline, he does it at his/her own sacrifice of his space for the option of the recline. Does not subtract space from the guy in back of him.

DL would be best to copy AA on this, IMHO. I appreciate the righteousness of the posters who claim that "I've paid for my ticket. I get to recline as much as my seat button will allow. 'Nuff said". OK, but the carrier has a lot of seats crammed in, allows a fairly generous pitch, and that subtracts from that pitch from the guy behind's space when full recline occurs. A zero-sum game of space. Options are for the "behind" guy to recline, too, and keep the cascade going, or leave the guy in the first row as the clear winner, with a cavernous amount to savor, once he/she reclines. It shouldn't have to come to that. I would advocate DL to copy AA on how the seats recline (in F cabin anyway, where the recliner simply slides forward---not tilt's the whole seat backward) and advocate that the righteous reclining DL posters try AA (OK, for once, just to check out the recline config) and see if it changes their opinion.

Even though this topic has hit raw nerves and has some staunch opinions, it is worth hearing how posters represent themselves and their perspectives. IMHO, reclining in the cramped space of an airliner has its ramifications, and claiming it as a "right" because of the paid ticket, is a little simplistic when viewed that way,
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: WFBF
I like it because it ends the argument about "I paid for the right to recline!" by having the airline say "No you didn't, because we don't sell that here".

Other than that, unlikely to affect me because I don't fly in Y.
strickerj and manacit like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FullFare
Once again, if an AA pax wants recline, he does it at his/her own sacrifice of his space for the option of the recline. Does not subtract space from the guy in back of him.
I don't believe that seat design is common across the AA narrowbody fleet.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
You know in the 1980's this was not a problem because first class seating had a great amount of leg room and plenty of space to stretch out. Perhaps if the airlines went back to First Class in the 80's standards, all this would be taken care of.
I am sure if passengers went back to the 80's standard F fare with no upgrades that DL (and every other carrier) would be willing to do it.
kop84 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Have you ever tried doing something like SPSS programming on a phone? Count me in as a decrepit 40+ type loving my laptop.
While SPSS programming is not for a phone, it might also not be for a crowded, crammed metal tube but instead for a quiet (fill in the blank) room.

I am sure being able to work on a plane is "convenient" but how often is it really "necessary"...
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frogbone
While SPSS programming is not for a phone, it might also not be for a crowded, crammed metal tube but instead for a quiet (fill in the blank) room.

I am sure being able to work on a plane is "convenient" but how often is it really "necessary"...
So what do you suggest people do for the X hours that they're on an airplane?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FullFare

Even though this topic has hit raw nerves and has some staunch opinions, it is worth hearing how posters represent themselves and their perspectives. IMHO, reclining in the cramped space of an airliner has its ramifications, and claiming it as a "right" because of the paid ticket, is a little simplistic when viewed that way,
It is also a little simplistic to say just because you want to play on your laptop, what I want is irrelevant.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:09 am

I would love to see a Venn diagram consisting of people who

A) Want to decide whether to use their own seat recline AND want to decide whether the person in front of them can use theirs
compared to
B) People who want aisle seats AND want to control the window shade

I am picturing the intersection as just being a circle.

Edit to add: you could add a third criteria - people who define "polite" as "What I want/What benefits me" and probably still retain the circle.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ceres
It is also a little simplistic to say just because you want to play on your laptop, what I want is irrelevant.
You already stated that since you want to sleep, the need of everyone else on the plane is second to yours. You lost me at your comment that you pay more for your seat than anyone here. I can't fathom why that's relevant.

Yes, you have every right to use the button and go full recline as it's available for you to use. Yes, I have every right to silently complain to myself that my knees hurt because the amount of recline took away the necessary space for me to fit.

Let's just move on, this discussion can go on forever and it wont shift any of our personal opinions.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frogbone

Since you don't have an intimate understanding on when anyone else in the world may find it "necessary" to work on a plane, it's probably best for you to just defer to their judgment.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Which proves people don't care about others, because the first row on an E175 has tons of leg space. Instead of being satisfied, they go for even more by fully reclining.
I care about others. I recline gently AND fully. For ME, it is about the recline, not about the leg space. It makes me more comfortable and I fully expect people to recline into me if I am not in that first row.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I am curious what the response would be if Delta One reduced their recline by half.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Let's just move on, this discussion can go on forever and it wont shift any of our personal opinions.
You are right. But its okay for the person behind me to lean on the tray and bang away on the keyboard and rock my seat around?

Here is the deal. I go on expert flyer to see what aircraft I want to fly on that particular route. I chose a seat based on my needs and my wants.
All I expect is someone else to do the same. That's all. I don't want a nanny state. Take responsibility for your own needs.

And really.... we want Delta AA UA etc, to follow the business model of Allegiant Air? With the no recline seats. That's a huge step backward IMO. Thats the last I will say on this.

Peace out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.