FA Drinking while deadheading

Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by apodo77
No issue for me. Last year on an ATL-PBI flight I offered a DL FA not in uniform (had their credentials on neck and we chatted a bit so knew he was a FA) if they wanted a cocktail or wine. I had extra drink certs expiring and they took me up on the offer.
The FA could have been commuting home from work on a nonrev basis, not deadheading and not listed for a jumpseat. In that case, if the FA isn't wearing a uniform (not just the airline namebadge) it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Is there an FT Wiki page that lists all the criteria for a valid thread post? I wanna make sure going forward I only ask questions that are deemed justified and appropriate.
I am asking the fellas who complained about the OP's post...
I think the issue is less that it was posted and more that it was presented as "just an innocent question" yet there were plenty of details that could actually lead to DL determining the employee being discussed. when you are truly asking a question for curiosity's sake, there is a way to phrase it. When you are being a busy-body and trying to play gotcha, there's a way to phrase that as well.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
It's also possible the flight attendant was not a DL flight attendant, but one from another airline opting to list for a jump seat cabin agreement. This is an agreement between airlines to allow other FA's to travel reciprocally for free if they don't have direct benefits with the airline they are flying on (like a Spirit FA trying to fly on DL metal). Doing this gives them the lowest standby priority, but it's free and an alternative to using a ZED (Zonal Employee Discount) fare. DL doesn't typically allow FA's to sit in FA on this type of agreement, but ultimately the gate agent may have had a moment of being nice when they shouldn't have and gave it anyhow.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Help me out here, why in the world would Delta employees not in their uniform/deadheading/working in any capacity be displaying their badge? At most companies I have worked with you get in trouble if you are wearing your badge off the clock and/or in street clothes.
Widgets likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:49 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Help me out here, why in the world would Delta employees not in their uniform/deadheading/working in any capacity be displaying their badge? At most companies I have worked with you get in trouble if you are wearing your badge off the clock and/or in street clothes.
Often if you wear your badge, you can go threw the crew member security instead of regular. Also, if you are flying standby or whatever, it's much easier to identify yourself as a Delta employee with your badge. I have seen this ALL the time, on multiple airlines so this isn't out of place at all. That being said, if they're not in uniform, they can do whatever they want within reason. If they want to drink, there is nothing to stop them unless they drink to excess is there a problem. I seriously don't understand why this is even an issue. I think the OP has too much time on their hands.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Often if you wear your badge, you can go threw the crew member security instead of regular. Also, if you are flying standby or whatever, it's much easier to identify yourself as a Delta employee with your badge. I have seen this ALL the time, on multiple airlines so this isn't out of place at all. That being said, if they're not in uniform, they can do whatever they want within reason. If they want to drink, there is nothing to stop them unless they drink to excess is there a problem. I seriously don't understand why this is even an issue. I think the OP has too much time on their hands.
Yeah but wouldn't after they show it to security/a Delta employee you put it away? At the companies I've worked for SOP is you only show it when you're working, getting a discount, or doing something with it. When you don't wear it no one suspects anything. When you wear it you out yourself as an employee of the company to not only customers but other employees/higher ups as well, making your actions very representative of the company.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I am on a regular flight where a Pilot often is in uniform sititng in first he drinks me under the tray table all the time.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am on a regular flight where a Pilot often is in uniform sititng in first he drinks me under the tray table all the time.
Could the pilot work for something like FedEx, NetJets, etc.? If he/she doesn't work for a commercial airline, his/her employer might be paying for a FC ticket and if he/she isn't flying any planes within X hours, it could be perfectly fine to drink alcohol. AFAIK the rule for most USA commercial airlines is no drinking alcohol when in uniform (and in public, in that it's hard to see how a rule on this could be enforced within the pilot's own home or when alone in an hotel room, assuming shades are closed, etc.), but there could be other pilots for which this is not necessarily a problem.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I think its dumb. Theres no legit reason, especially after clearing the TSA checkpoint, but even the TSA checkpoint wouldnt offer special treatment most of the time.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Widgets

I think its dumb. Theres no legit reason, especially after clearing the TSA checkpoint, but even the TSA checkpoint wouldnt offer special treatment most of the time.
Flight personnel often go through KCM (known crew member) and then show their ID at the gate if they want/need to pick up a paper boarding pass. At this point in time, they could certainly take off their ID, however, some leave them on, perhaps for fear of losing them in their bag when they may need it or want to show it. If you look at flight attendants who are working a flight, occasionally you'll see a DL FA with their ID around their neck tucked into their shirt/jacket. It isn't a requirement, but they want it handy just in case.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the pilot work for something like FedEx, NetJets, etc.? If he/she doesn't work for a commercial airline, his/her employer might be paying for a FC ticket and if he/she isn't flying any planes within X hours, it could be perfectly fine to drink alcohol. AFAIK the rule for most USA commercial airlines is no drinking alcohol when in uniform (and in public, in that it's hard to see how a rule on this could be enforced within the pilot's own home or when alone in an hotel room, assuming shades are closed, etc.), but there could be other pilots for which this is not necessarily a problem.

you are a smart commentator. Why would a pilot or aircrew in the military, most airline pilots are not, be heralded for a drink at the bar. However, same person, airline uniform be out of compliance? Most not even members of the reserve components. Two jobs same person.

Last edited by baqnav; Mar 31, 2019 at 10:53 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Is a deadheading FA allowed to drink while flying?

I'm not Gladys Kravitz so Im not saying anything or writing delta about this or anything just more curious if its more bad form or against rules?
Abner, did you see that?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by baqnav
you are a smart commentator. Why would a pilot or aircrew in the military, most airline pilots are not, be heralded for a drink at the bar. However, same person, airline uniform be out of compliance? Most not even members of the reserve components. Two jobs same person.
I believe that's a matter of company policy - confirmed by our discreet pilot private messenger. It doesn't surprise me that Delta would set standards for pilot behavior in-uniform, even while off duty. (They don't want people to think 'Hey, that pilot just finished his fourth drink, and now he's going to fly a plane!)
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
As far as I'm aware there are some very concerning things with what OP brought up that should be reported.

If you are in uniform you are prohibited from drinking. So if this FA was in uniform and even had her badge on then she is 100% in the wrong and needs to be reported. This is against Delta policies and could jeopardize other pass travelers in the future making travel harder for them. You also mentioned that she had a ticket that said "FA Jumpseat Request" on it. If so she needs to be doubly reported because she would then be breaking FAA regulations.

On the flight manifest she would be listed as a non-operating crew member (which is different from a passenger or nonrev standby employee). If anything was to ever happen to the flight she would be subject to investigation as a crew member and not a passenger which means alcohol tests and other regulations that result in response to an aircraft incident. As a crew member (even non-operating crew member) you are subject to the same policies on drinking.

The bottom line is that the only acceptable to drink if you are listed as a non-rev standby traveler.

It may not seem like a big deal or the notion of not reporting someone for being "that person" but it's a serious offense. Please don't feel like you're in the wrong if you report them, you won't be and you'll be keeping the industry safe. I know many non-rev travelers who will thank you.

Edit: I'll also add that other airline employees traveling on another airline are expected to not drink if they're in uniform.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by seatacpilot
As far as I'm aware there are some very concerning things with what OP brought up that should be reported.

If you are in uniform you are prohibited from drinking. So if this FA was in uniform
First post of the thread, per the OP, states she was NOT in uniform.

Also, wasn't this thread locked a day ago, and is now mysteriously un-locked again?
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.