FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   FA Drinking while deadheading (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1963217-fa-drinking-while-deadheading.html)

vincentharris Mar 30, 2019 6:23 am

FA Drinking while deadheading

Is a deadheading FA allowed to drink while flying?

i am curious because the flight this morning was so empty everybody got the upgrade and we still had 5 seats empty so an in uniform pilot and out of uniform (but wearing the ID cards) FA took two of the F seats. I just happened to notice her original seat was “FA JUMP SEAT” but during pre departure she asked for two bottle of liquor declaring quote “it was vacation time for her and she was heading to X Caribbean location”

i think the dead heading pilot was a little shocked making the “oh that’s funny joke” but I’m trying to give you a hint

on a different note wouldn’t you just put your work ID in your pocket so nobody would know?

Im not Gladys Kravitz so I’m not saying anything or writing delta about this or anything just more curious if it’s more bad form or against rules?

WillBarrett_68 Mar 30, 2019 7:11 am

"I'm not gladys kravitz, I'm just posting way more detail than is necessary to ask my question on a heavily trafficed public internet forum"

jrkmsp Mar 30, 2019 7:16 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 30945694)
Is a deadheading FA allowed to drink while flying?

i am curious because the flight this morning was so empty everybody got the upgrade and we still had 5 seats empty so an in uniform pilot and out of uniform (but wearing the ID cards) FA took two of the F seats. I just happened to notice her original seat was “FA JUMP SEAT” but during pre departure she asked for two bottle of liquor declaring quote “it was vacation time for her and she was heading to X Caribbean location”

i think the dead heading pilot was a little shocked making the “oh that’s funny joke” but I’m trying to give you a hint

on a different note wouldn’t you just put your work ID in your pocket so nobody would know?

Im not Gladys Kravitz so I’m not saying anything or writing delta about this or anything just more curious if it’s more bad form or against rules?

I believe the policy is different in-uniform versus out-of-uniform. If she’s out-of-uniform and headed out on vacation, I believe policy says it’s totally fine, as long as it’s not to excess of course.

moondog Mar 30, 2019 7:16 am

@OP Why do you care about this?

iflyalexair Mar 30, 2019 7:17 am

Deadheading refers to movement of crew for operational purposes.

It seems like what you saw was a flight attendant simply using his or her flight benefits to go on vacation.

He or she was probably listed for the jumpseat to have priority in case the flight was full. I’m not sure how delta prioritizes non rev flight attendants for taking the jumpseat, but a lot of airlines do it on a first request basis.

vincentharris Mar 30, 2019 7:24 am

Geez I posted an anonymous question. I didn’t post the flight number or anything and I don’t plan on sending this to DL so technically this could be hundreds of potential people nobody at DL is going to figure it out.

I asked because I was curious and as I didn’t know the answer asked people who also travel. Flyertalk really has gone down hill unfortunately.

Orange County Commuter Mar 30, 2019 7:54 am

You posted anonymous questions So that makes being a busybody OK?

Why does it matte? I think we know the answer. Time to let other people live their lives without your assistance

3Cforme Mar 30, 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by iflyalexair (Post 30945824)
Deadheading refers to movement of crew for operational purposes.

It seems like what you saw was a flight attendant simply using his or her flight benefits to go on vacation.

I think that's the key - deadhead vs. non-rev.

I believe (without great certainty) that DL policy prohibits alcohol for deadheading pilots and FAs. I also believe that there is no FAR (Federal Aviation regulation) around this. One certainly can non-rev out of uniform - although Delta does have a non-rev dress code. Presence of a company ID isn't indicative: one would have needed ID to non-rev.

vincentharris Mar 30, 2019 8:22 am

I got my answer please feel free to lock this

3Cforme Mar 31, 2019 10:49 am

One who is I believe a Delta pilot employee reached out to me via FT Private Message to give some clarity on the possible status of the noted FA. This is my understanding:

scheduled on duty = no drinking (seems obvious enough!)

deadheading = no drinking by company policy. Deadheading is a scheduled flight at the company's convenience (back to base, or start from out-of-base); it counts toward FAA duty hour limits.

listing for the extra FA jump seat = no drinking by company policy. No drinking even if not occupying the extra FA jump seat. This is a designated crew member even if not scheduled. One might choose to list for the jump seat to have a better chance of flying than trying as non-rev.

If I have this wrong I hope others will correct me.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator

Frogbone Mar 31, 2019 12:33 pm

Is there an FT Wiki page that lists all the criteria for a valid thread post? I wanna make sure going forward I only ask questions that are deemed justified and appropriate.
I am asking the fellas who complained about the OP's post...

MSPeconomist Mar 31, 2019 12:46 pm

This makes some sense to me, as I would expect anyone in a DL crew uniform or anyone crew member who is deadheading to be able and willing to help in an emergency. If passengers ever see someone sitting in a FA jumpseat, they would similarly assume that the person is a crew member and perhaps turn to that person in an emergency.

mot29 Mar 31, 2019 12:54 pm

Slightly off-topic, but related.
Years ago I was flying ATL-DCA on an evening flight. Sitting in 1A and next to me was a guy in a blue double-breasted uniform. We talked a bit and I asked if he was navy or public health - he was public health. The FA took his jacket and hung it. Then took orders for PDB. He ordered something alcoholic, a few minutes the FA came back and said she couldn’t serve him what he ordered.
After take off, she returned with the drink and an explanation and apology. She saw the double breasted blue jacket and thought he was a DL pilot. I guess she either looked at the jacket again or checked the manifest and saw he was USPHS.

WillBarrett_68 Mar 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 30945835)
[left]Geez I posted an anonymous question. I didn’t post the flight number or anything and I don’t plan on sending this to DL so technically this could be hundreds of potential people nobody at DL is going to figure it out.

It seems very likely that DL can figure out who anyone on this board is if they post enough.

apodo77 Mar 31, 2019 3:27 pm

No issue for me. Last year on an ATL-PBI flight I offered a DL FA not in uniform (had their credentials on neck and we chatted a bit so knew he was a FA) if they wanted a cocktail or wine. I had extra drink certs expiring and they took me up on the offer.