Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking thru luggage on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking thru luggage on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:24 pm

They most likely won't allow me to interline my bags on 2 PNRs of:
1. ANC-YVR DL cash ticket
2. YVR-TPE CI metal award ticket booked through VS
right? Coz even though VS is on the list of partners, CI isn't (even though it's skyteam).

Wondering if I can book the DL repositioning flight that arrives at YVR at like 5am for the CI flight that leaves 12:35am the next calendar day - to save on hotel, but would suck if we can't check our bags in until like 9pm since we would want to see friends in the city. Otherwise I'd need to book the flight one day earlier and get a night at a hotel.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 12changk2
They most likely won't allow me to interline my bags on 2 PNRs of:
1. ANC-YVR DL cash ticket
2. YVR-TPE CI metal award ticket booked through VS
right? Coz even though VS is on the list of partners, CI isn't (even though it's skyteam).

Wondering if I can book the DL repositioning flight that arrives at YVR at like 5am for the CI flight that leaves 12:35am the next calendar day - to save on hotel, but would suck if we can't check our bags in until like 9pm since we would want to see friends in the city. Otherwise I'd need to book the flight one day earlier and get a night at a hotel.
While technically not covered by policy, DL agents generally will check through to any carrier DL has interline agreements with. I do DL-AY frequently.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
My guess is the answer is "probably even if not required," but the exact scenario wasnt clearly addressed by the policy.

We are looking at doing two separate Skymiles tickets: DCA-JFK-LHR (DL), and then LHR-HAN (VN). So both will be Delta-issued tickets. But I'm not sure if any of the "exceptions" apply. The closest is the one saying that Delta will through-check baggage across separate tickets if it is a "SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights." (we've called a few times to see if it could be booked as multi-city, but cannot). Technically, this is a "SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights"-- but not in that order. That is, its a "Ticket with Delta-marketed/Delta-operated flights" followed by a Skymiles Award. Does the order matter?

We'd have close to 4 hrs to self-connect so probably would be fine if we have to clear UK customs/immigration, but would be nice to not have to. TIA

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:28 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
My guess is the answer is "probably even if not required," but the exact scenario wasnt clearly addressed by the policy.

We are looking at doing two separate Skymiles tickets: DCA-JFK-LHR (DL), and then LHR-HAN (VS). So both will be Delta-issued tickets. But I'm not sure if any of the "exceptions" apply. The closest is the one saying that Delta will through-check baggage across separate tickets if it is a "SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights." (we've called a few times to see if it could be booked as multi-city, but cannot). Technically, this is a "SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights"-- but not in that order. That is, its a "Ticket with Delta-marketed/Delta-operated flights" followed by a Skymiles Award. Does the order matter?

We'd have close to 4 hrs to self-connect so probably would be fine if we have to clear UK customs/immigration, but would be nice to not have to. TIA
VS is included by policy. DL includes at minimum includes AF/KL/VS/MU/KE/AM/LA in policy.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
VS is included by policy. DL includes at minimum includes AF/KL/VS/MU/KE/AM/LA in policy.
Sorry- typo on my end - it's VN - Vietnam Airlines, not VS!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Sorry- typo on my end - it's VN - Vietnam Airlines, not VS!
By policy VN is not included. However as they are in ST, there shouldn't be pushback. DL will generally interline to any carrier, even outside of policy/ST. I do DL/AY frequently.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:24 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver (OWR)
I'm doing a BNA to JFK on DL then JFK-HKG-PEK on CX itinerary. The connection time at JFK is around 14 hours (hence my desire to get rid of my suitcase), and I will probably have silver medallion through a status match by the time I fly. Is there any chance at all of a through-check?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
no chance sorry, even if they did tag for CX their 12hr rule would apply here
Old Apr 15, 2024, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

12hr rule is DL to DL. As long as agent is willing, it can be tagged to CX.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
interesting ,OP let us know if BNA agents do this for you
quakes15 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.