Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking thru luggage on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking thru luggage on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes DL will through check and also protect if needed across tickets with KLM.

Have you called in to try and book? Website doesn't always provide all options..
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes DL will through check and also protect if needed across tickets with KLM.

Have you called in to try and book? Website doesn't always provide all options..
Thanks, I did call but talked to someone that didn't seem to be well versed in GUC usage; I will give them soon to book the primary flight to AMS and see about the full routing. When I looked on-line it just showed options for economy (and no GUC information) which I would think is the limitation on the KLM/Cityhopper flight so it is a good idea to ask about the full routing when I call. Otherwise it is just $150-$200 for the routing we are looking for to GVA and then back for a couple days in AMS. I imagine AMS will be terribly cold but we have not been in that city yet so we thought a day or two recon (even that time of year) would be beneficial for decision making on the other two GUCs we will now burn this coming year.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
Thanks, I did call but talked to someone that didn't seem to be well versed in GUC usage; I will give them soon to book the primary flight to AMS and see about the full routing. When I looked on-line it just showed options for economy (and no GUC information) which I would think is the limitation on the KLM/Cityhopper flight so it is a good idea to ask about the full routing when I call. Otherwise it is just $150-$200 for the routing we are looking for to GVA and then back for a couple days in AMS. I imagine AMS will be terribly cold but we have not been in that city yet so we thought a day or two recon (even that time of year) would be beneficial for decision making on the other two GUCs we will now burn this coming year.
Bit confused about if paid or award, so posting this info.

GUC can only be used to upgrade awards on DL metal. They don't work on awards on other airlines, only paid. You're not losing out on an upgrade on KLM if booking an award ticket, only the DL segments would upgrade.
RhinoDL likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:40 am

For those concerned, I just tried to check a bag onward to an air france flight on two tickets. The delta website clearly states this is allowed.

Bag agent fought me tooth and nail. Told me delta doesn't do this anymore. I referenced the website. It took twenty minutes to get her to do it. She insisted she was breaking rules for me.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
I'm surprised DL doesn't check luggage through with all SkyTeam carriers. I remember several years ago I flew MNL-AMS-OTP-TLV on KL and RO, and I was able to tag a bag all the way through.
They do for any Skyteam carrier on a ticket issued with Skymiles (Delta ticket number). So paid DL ticket to Seoul plus Skymiles issued ticket on, for example, China Airlines or Vietnam Airlines. This is reflected in bullet point two.

Bullet point three with a specific list of airlines is for tickets bought directly from those airlines (OAL ticket number).
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It seems like this section gets repeated at least once a week.
Exceptions
In cases as noted below, when more than one ticket is presented, Delta will continue to through-check baggage from the origin to the destination.
  • An entire journey (itinerary) consisting of Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights
  • SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights
  • Delta ticket plus a ticket on the Delta partner airlines listed below:
    • Aeromexico (AM)
    • Air France (AF)
    • Alitalia (AZ)
    • China Eastern (MU)
    • GOL (G3)
    • Jet Airways (9W)
    • KLM (KL)
    • Korean Air (KE)
    • Virgin Atlantic (VS)
    • Virgin Australia (VA)
  • Delta ticket plus a:
    • SkyTeam pass ticket
    • Ticket with travel on a Visit USA (VUSA) fare
    • Connection to a Delta charter flight
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
This week at MSP check-in, DL rep claimed they couldn’t thru-check onto AF flight because the connection time was more than four hours. The connection time is more than four hours but less than six hours. The domestic DL flight is on DL ticket number. Were the agents just being lazy in not wanting to do the manual work required to thru-check the bag onto onward AF-operated flights on an AF-operated ticket?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This week at MSP check-in, DL rep claimed they couldn’t thru-check onto AF flight because the connection time was more than four hours. The connection time is more than four hours but less than six hours. The domestic DL flight is on DL ticket number. Were the agents just being lazy in not wanting to do the manual work required to thru-check the bag onto onward AF-operated flights on an AF-operated ticket?
Yes. As long as above MCT and under 24hrs can check through.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: Delta PM
Well, thought I would add an update.
For the last 6 years, I've been flying Tpac a couple of times per year (until Covid) and occasionally, it was more convenient to have separate tickets.
As a 30+ year Medallion, I always fly SkyTeam, unless it's simply not possible.
In the last 6 years, I have not had trouble getting the check in agent to tags bags to final destination.
Although, the last time, just last month, December 2022, leaving AUS to SFO on DL ticket and metal; then about a 12 hour connection time to a non stop Vietnam Airlines flight SF) to SGN, it took a few check-in folks in Austin, to get it done.
First response was that it needed to be on Delta. That was obviously wrong and I told him in nice way, that I have done in a number of times and never had a problem (true).
He got his supervisor and she was also skeptical, but was willing to listen.
At that point, the nearby check-in (this is all in the Sky Priority lane) agent, chimed in and showed both of the other agents how it was done. took a few minutes.

I was ever so grateful, as my wife was traveling alone with an embarrassing number of exactly 50 lb bags and did not want to contemplate her trying to get the SFO shuttle (which she did not know about at this point, and I wasn't going to tell her) alone, with those bags.

In sum, it can be done with Sky Team airlines and it's one of the reasons I am so loyal.
The other reason is how these Delta folks really tried to solve the problem without making it about egos.

Delta is great because of the people and it's why they have had my business all these years.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wxman22
Well, thought I would add an update.
For the last 6 years, I've been flying Tpac a couple of times per year (until Covid) and occasionally, it was more convenient to have separate tickets.
As a 30+ year Medallion, I always fly SkyTeam, unless it's simply not possible.
In the last 6 years, I have not had trouble getting the check in agent to tags bags to final destination.
Although, the last time, just last month, December 2022, leaving AUS to SFO on DL ticket and metal; then about a 12 hour connection time to a non stop Vietnam Airlines flight SF) to SGN, it took a few check-in folks in Austin, to get it done.
First response was that it needed to be on Delta. That was obviously wrong and I told him in nice way, that I have done in a number of times and never had a problem (true).
He got his supervisor and she was also skeptical, but was willing to listen.
At that point, the nearby check-in (this is all in the Sky Priority lane) agent, chimed in and showed both of the other agents how it was done. took a few minutes.

I was ever so grateful, as my wife was traveling alone with an embarrassing number of exactly 50 lb bags and did not want to contemplate her trying to get the SFO shuttle (which she did not know about at this point, and I wasn't going to tell her) alone, with those bags.

In sum, it can be done with Sky Team airlines and it's one of the reasons I am so loyal.
The other reason is how these Delta folks really tried to solve the problem without making it about egos.

Delta is great because of the people and it's why they have had my business all these years.
Technically policy doesn't include VN. However AUS/SAT have never given me grief. I regularly check bags through to AY at LAX/JFK.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Technically policy doesn't include VN. However AUS/SAT have never given me grief. I regularly check bags through to AY at LAX/JFK.
Thanks flyerCO. I will add this link to the SkyTeam page which addresses it, though it is not as definitive as the Delta Pro page (as flyerCO stated) : https://www.skyteam.com/EN/flights-a...ions/transfers

P.S. In talking to my wife, she says many Vietnamese are hesitant to travel on the Vietnam Airlines non stop flights SFO-SGN because of this issue. Maybe Vietnam Airlines should make the effort to get the the Delta list. And for what's it worth, if traveling Economy, Vietnam Airlines was fantastic, more like Economy of 20 years ago.

Last edited by wxman22; Jan 12, 2023 at 3:10 am Reason: edit
Old May 30, 2023, 1:35 pm
wdc

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have an DL award ticket from LGA-ORD, and a separate KE award ticket from ORD-ICN-HND. all legs are in J. Based on what I read in the thread, DL should be able to check my bag all the way through to HND, but if I misconnect at ORD, would delta help accomodate in any way?

Thanks
Old May 30, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by wdc
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have an DL award ticket from LGA-ORD, and a separate KE award ticket from ORD-ICN-HND. all legs are in J. Based on what I read in the thread, DL should be able to check my bag all the way through to HND, but if I misconnect at ORD, would delta help accomodate in any way?

Thanks
In theory DL should be able to though check your bag all the way from LGA to HND, however it really will just depend if you get an agent that knows how to do it, or is willing to get a supervisor, and then if the supervisor knows how to do it. It can be done, but I would give it an odds of 50% if they can figure out how to do it. I have had to coach agents that it can be done numerous times on connections exceeding 6 hours even on DL-DL international tickets, much less a separate ticket to a partner such as KE.

If you misconnect in ORD, then bag should still find its way to HND. How long is your connection?
Old May 30, 2023, 7:27 pm
wdc

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
In theory DL should be able to though check your bag all the way from LGA to HND, however it really will just depend if you get an agent that knows how to do it, or is willing to get a supervisor, and then if the supervisor knows how to do it. It can be done, but I would give it an odds of 50% if they can figure out how to do it. I have had to coach agents that it can be done numerous times on connections exceeding 6 hours even on DL-DL international tickets, much less a separate ticket to a partner such as KE.

If you misconnect in ORD, then bag should still find its way to HND. How long is your connection?
I'm taking the the first flight from LGA at 6am, and the connection is 3:50. there's also 7:30am flight that gets there with 2:20 but that's definitely cutting it too close. If the DL flight ends up getting delayed and I don't reach ORD in time to catch the KE flight, would Delta help get me to HND?

Thanks
Old May 30, 2023, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wdc
I'm taking the the first flight from LGA at 6am, and the connection is 3:50. there's also 7:30am flight that gets there with 2:20 but that's definitely cutting it too close. If the DL flight ends up getting delayed and I don't reach ORD in time to catch the KE flight, would Delta help get me to HND?

Thanks
Yes. There's even a tool that allows them ti takeover another ST ticket fir this exact thing.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:35 pm
wdc

Yes. There's even a tool that allows them ti takeover another ST ticket fir this exact thing.
wow, that's good to know! what is the tool called? and Do I just go to a normal Sky Priority Check-in counter to get them to rebook?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.