Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking thru luggage on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking thru luggage on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Starting just under 2 years ago DL and ST implemented program to rebook passenger that misconnect on separate tickets. As long as you provided sufficient MCT as if on one ticket you're protected. All ST airline tickets can be taken over by DL under this program.

Of course agent has to be aware of programs existence.
This sort of happened to me as well: I was flying WAW-PRG-AMS-LAX on OK and KL in May 2019. WAW-PRG was canceled and I was rescheduled to leave the following morning on LO; DL was able to rebook my flight so that I would make my connection by putting me on PRG-CDG-LAX on AF instead. I imagine I'd have to give credit to that program for saving my butt due to OK.
SDQBound likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by davidmsilver
Based on my understanding of the interline agreement I feel confident that this separately-booked ticket should work: ABQ - LAX (DL); LAX - PPT (AF).

Since the LAX - PPT is international and my fare includes one checked bag, should I expect that the ABQ - LAX domestic part would also be free, or is that subject to Delta's baggage fee?
Irrespective of payment - this example here clearly would allow for the bags to be checked all the way to PPT right? Separate tickets, but connecting to a Skyteam is sill checked through
Old May 22, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Irrespective of payment - this example here clearly would allow for the bags to be checked all the way to PPT right? Separate tickets, but connecting to a Skyteam is sill checked through
Yes, because it's AF. Not all ST carriers are covered by policy.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
I know UX is not included in the official Delta policy, but as it's SkyTeam, has anyone had luck checking bags through from DL to a separate UX ticket, or vice versa?
Old May 22, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scottsinct
I know UX is not included in the official Delta policy, but as it's SkyTeam, has anyone had luck checking bags through from DL to a separate UX ticket, or vice versa?
Just depends on agent. Agents at SAT will tag my bags DL-AY even though AY isn't even ST.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:39 pm

I too would like to know this, specifically wrt to recent experiences at JFK flying DL connecting to UX
Old Jun 12, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I too would like to know this, specifically wrt to recent experiences at JFK flying DL connecting to UX
I've found DL generally more willing then other US airlines.

I've had DL at SAT/AUS check bags through to AY at JFK for me frequently. Issue is if agent is willing/knows how since UX won't be listed in the graphical user interface they use.
ukinny2000 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:00 am

Sorry for the noob question : if the ticket on UX is purchased from UX, does that negatively alter the possibility of finding a friendly agent at JFK willing to do a through-check of the luggage? And if the UX fare is one of those 'lite' ones without baggage allowance?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Sorry for the noob question : if the ticket on UX is purchased from UX, does that negatively alter the possibility of finding a friendly agent at JFK willing to do a through-check of the luggage? And if the UX fare is one of those 'lite' ones without baggage allowance?
It doesn't matter who buy from. All agent will care is that you have the UX Confirmation code and the flight number.

Agent won't know nor care what your UX allowance is. In fact most times through checking allows one to get around paying for a bag on the 2nd flight. (Some airlines will detect you checked a bag through with other airline and charge, but most don't as long as you dont mention it to them)
ukinny2000 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It doesn't matter who buy from. All agent will care is that you have the UX Confirmation code and the flight number.

Agent won't know nor care what your UX allowance is. In fact most times through checking allows one to get around paying for a bag on the 2nd flight. (Some airlines will detect you checked a bag through with other airline and charge, but most don't as long as you dont mention it to them)
I wonder about the way back, where I'll be connecting from UX (economy lite / Diamond + non Diamond companion) to KL (business class). I'm assuming that if UX can through check it, they will charge my companion for a bag, even though it'd be free on KL?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I wonder about the way back, where I'll be connecting from UX (economy lite / Diamond + non Diamond companion) to KL (business class). I'm assuming that if UX can through check it, they will charge my companion for a bag, even though it'd be free on KL?
Yes, most likely they will.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Have a DL ticket from DCA-ATL-MAN in August, with the second leg on VS metal(DL marketed). Since its looking less and less likely that UK will be allowing Americans sans quarantine, I've bought a refundable AF MAN-CDG two hours later. If I check a bag, will the fact that this involves three airlines be an obstacle?
Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Have a DL ticket from DCA-ATL-MAN in August, with the second leg on VS metal(DL marketed). Since its looking less and less likely that UK will be allowing Americans sans quarantine, I've bought a refundable AF MAN-CDG two hours later. If I check a bag, will the fact that this involves three airlines be an obstacle?
Thanks!
No issue. Itll be checked through if ask. Due to JV US-LHR/MAN-CDG/AMS are not unheard of routings for sale.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:33 pm

I just wanted to post a quick follow-up. To recap, I had an outbound SkyMiles ticket from JFK to BCN, and then an Air Europa cash ticket from BCN to our final destination in spain. Checking in at JFK the agent very kindly, very quickly and easily checked our baggage all the way through to our final destination, including the Air Europa flight after asking to see the reservation from UX. Then all I had to do was check in on the Air Europa app for the flights and we're good to go. Thanks to everybody for their advice.
Adam1222 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
As a newly minted Diamond I'm looking to burn a pair of GUCs for a flight over to GVA (Chamonix) this winter for my wife and I. We hope to use the GUC for the ride over then just Comfort or PS (if reasonable) for the ride back. Delta can't provide me any quote on using skymiles from my hometown down here in the south with upgrade options but I found a route from my hometown to AMS (via DL72) that has upgrade options at a fair rate and plan to purchase the final leg (AMS to GVA) on a KLM cityhopper ticket. Questions is will Delta check my bags all the way through? It appears Delta would sell me a ticket using $ all the way through to GVA but just not using skymiles so it seems like this would work out. I ask in since I'm reviewing some selections for the KLM flight to GVA and wondered if 1.5 hours would be enough time. Per the wiki, it may be ok if luggage checked to final but certainly NOT an option if I need to retrieve and re-checkin. Any tips would be appreciated as I don't know if Delta has recently changed any policy on this..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.