Wiki Posts
Search

Brag tags for every medallion member

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
Some people don't put this on their bag because they're secure in themselves.

I am not some people:

Wow.
wlau likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Taz
It happened to me just a few weeks ago. I was getting settled in my aisle seat when the "gentleman" with the window seat appeared. I hadn't quite gotten my backpack under the seat, so when I stood up to let him in, I put my backpack on my seat so he wouldn't trip over it. He spied my FO tag and had a snit fit because he ALWAYS sits on the aisle, he NEVER sits by the window and demanded to know how I, a mere FO could've gotten that seat. I looked at him and said "I paid for it". He continued to mumble about how he's a diamond, yada, yada, yada while he made a big show of "struggling" to get in to the window seat.
Frankly, an FO paying for F is likely a more profitable customer to Delta (in terms of dollars per segment or dollars per mile), as opposed to a DM buying coach and being upgraded. Not sure why anyone getting a comp upgrade would think it's appropriate to make any of the referenced comments to someone who actually paid for his seat.

I no longer have any elite tags on any of my bags. I have one bag tag with my corporate logo, although most of the time I don't use that one either. Part of the issue is that most of them have my name displayed quite prominently, and I'm not all that interested in everyone knowing who I am in the first place.

I fly AA quite frequently, and I'm also baffled by the Admirals Club tags. Is it really important for the average airport passerby to know you're a member of an airline lounge?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by metallo
I no longer have any elite tags on any of my bags.
I don't either. I don't understand people who do. It's like when you were a teenager and wanted to look cool with lift tickets hanging off your coat.
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by metallo
Frankly, an FO paying for F is likely a more profitable customer to Delta (in terms of dollars per segment or dollars per mile), as opposed to a DM buying coach and being upgraded. Not sure why anyone getting a comp upgrade would think it's appropriate to make any of the referenced comments to someone who actually paid for his seat.
This is not necessarily true. A DM flying on YBM fares getting UG’d is probably more profitable to DL than a FO buying a few discounted Z/I fares or taking cheap FCM offers.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't either. I don't understand people who do. It's like when you were a teenager and wanted to look cool with lift tickets hanging off your coat.
HA! I was flying SLC-SEA the other day, and there was a guy, 50 some odd years old, who was doing the very same thing, but on his snow pants. He must have thought it was really important that everyone knows he skis to go through 1) the torture of boiling away in snow pants on the airplane 2) getting an extra patdown from TSA when the tags that are hanging out show up on the body scanning machine. People that ski are such DYKWIA's (which is why I don't ski).
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:53 pm

I prefer not to use such tags. The gate agent knows my status. I don't need other passengers to know.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:55 pm

Delta should have a higher status tag that reads "DYKWIA - beyond Platinum"
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This is not necessarily true. A DM flying on YBM fares getting UG’d is probably more profitable to DL than a FO buying a few discounted Z/I fares or taking cheap FCM offers.
there are probably more FOs buying Z in aggregate than DMs buying Y/B. I mean, sure any one given DM buying nothing but YBM is generating more profit than any one FO buying Z. But overall? There are very, very few people who buy nothing but YBM. Heck, 75% of my tickets are bought within 48 hours of departure and only 19 of my 120 segments this year are YBM.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I said likely true in my post. Bottom line is that it's silly for passengers to confront other passengers and criticize their respective statuses.
Taz and MEABFlyer like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Knowing it annoys people like you is such a bonus for doing it
steve64, Taz, jamesteroh and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
Knowing it annoys people like you is such a bonus for doing it
That, and mainly to justify bragging when we butt in-front of the gate lice for First/Diamond boarding
Taz likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:39 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I tell everyone I’m a linoleum medallion - 2 levels below silver.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I received tags yesterday afternoon and proceeded to fly yesterday evening happily without them.
jamesteroh and pdxkat like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
You guys are all giving me a complex
I have said this in the past on similar threads- i do place my diamond tag on my back pack and carry on JUST IN CASE i need to ask a FA to store it after boarding late OR to prevent an FA from moving it to make room in an overhead bin(has only happened once, but once bitten twice shy). I honestly do not do it for any personal or "bragging" reasons.

I think one simple change to the tags would make a significant difference in the decision to display or not display: put your skymiles number AND the current year in which you qualified. At least then you would know that the person is an active member of that medallion level. For instance, next years Diamond tags would say "Diamond Medallion 2020" Not that difficult to do. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Any that don't have my name or number go directly on eBay. I've made several hundred dollars over the years. I'm glad people actually use them and don't put them up for sale and drive the prices down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.