Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brag tags for every medallion member

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by danielvdm
It's because they don't really achieve anything (apart from some rare cases) apart from showing to other pax that you're x level of elite, implying that you care what other people think about what level of status you are.
The diamond tags have come in handy a couple times letting me avoid checking a bag when there hasn't been bin space. I try to board with PREM so I don't have to fight for bin space but there's been a couple times where I had to board late because the GA didn't clear upgrades until boarding had started, had a tight connection and didn't make it to the gate until boarding was complete, didn't clear the SB list until after boarding was complete, etc. and there was not bin space and the FA has always tried to make room in the bins for my bag after seeing the diamond tag or offered to put it in the closet up front. That's the only reason I still use them.

I used to like the old ones when they had the skymiles number on them. I always had a business card in my bag in case the tag came off, but when they printed the skymiles number on them it way to have a discreet form of ID on your bag.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by eneq
I'm pretty sure they only are issuing them for newly achieved Medallion levels.
If true, I still haven't received them.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by andrewk829
Why are these referred to as "brag tags"? Is "I fly a lot on this airline" something to brag about or something that makes you a better person? I like elevated levels of status for the perqs; it has absolutely nothing to do with ego or impressing others. Because, really, why do I or should I care what a bunch of strangers in an airport gate area think of me (and in any case that assumes that my "brag tag" has any impact on what they think of me).
the fact that you don't brag about it doesn't mean nobody does.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by andrewk829
If anybody derives their sense of self-worth or their value-versus-others on the basis of an airline-defined hierarchy that utilizes a taxonomy of precious metals, that's sad.
sure. but they do it. Like, have you not read the posts around here???
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The diamond tags have come in handy a couple times letting me avoid checking a bag when there hasn't been bin space.
this is definitely a practical reason to have them. I keep one of mine in my bag's pocket for exactly this reason.
jamesteroh and mr_hoff like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:43 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Haven't been a DL elite in quite some time however this year happened to qualify for FO purely by chance. Qualified in October and I just received two bag tags on Wednesday. I debated just tossing them in a drawer but since I ordinarily buy F I figured it may be more fun to put them on to see if a DYKWIA will call me out for trying to board with F as an FO, hah!
Oh, trust me - you can have a lot of fun with them! I also pay for F and have one of the older FO tags with the barcode on my backpack. The "how dare a mere FO ride up front" or "how did YOU get that seat" type comments that I get are hilarious. Just confirms my belief that the people making them are exactly the kind of people that I don't want to know.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:53 pm

I know there are a lot of DYKWIAs out there but I have a really hard time believing anyone would actually say something out loud about a FO being in F.

I am strongly considering buying some FO tags on ebay (they're going for a mere $10) to find out.
lsquare and Loadmaster like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I know there are a lot of DYKWIAs out there but I have a really hard time believing anyone would actually say something out loud about a FO being in F.

I am strongly considering buying some FO tags on ebay (they're going for a mere $10) to find out.
I will most definitely report back if I hear anything. Probably won’t be until next year as I’m on AA tomorrow and don’t have any more travel this month to my knowledge.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:48 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM

It happened to me just a few weeks ago. I was getting settled in my aisle seat when the "gentleman" with the window seat appeared. I hadn't quite gotten my backpack under the seat, so when I stood up to let him in, I put my backpack on my seat so he wouldn't trip over it. He spied my FO tag and had a snit fit because he ALWAYS sits on the aisle, he NEVER sits by the window and demanded to know how I, a mere FO could've gotten that seat. I looked at him and said "I paid for it". He continued to mumble about how he's a diamond, yada, yada, yada while he made a big show of "struggling" to get in to the window seat.
Hepsaint, MikeNYC1 and Gig103 like this.

Last edited by Taz; Dec 8, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta, United

Save your money send me a PM I have a few old ones I will send ya for free (though if so inclined I would accept a contribution to my beer fund). The offer is open to anyone who wants to amuse themselves as I do have a couple FO tags.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Dec 8, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Some people don't put this on their bag because they're secure in themselves.

I am not some people:

Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I

Originally Posted by CMK10
Some people don't put this on their bag because they're secure in themselves.

I am not some people:

LOL! I haven’t had my FT tag on mine in a while as I haven’t seen any others in years. Perhaps I will put it back on. No comment on other choices.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: IHG, Delta
I received my Gold tags a couple weeks ago - but just last week completed a trip qualifying me or Platinum. Will Delta send me new tags automatically? If not, is there a way to request them?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Taz
It happened to me just a few weeks ago. I was getting settled in my aisle seat when the "gentleman" with the window seat appeared. I hadn't quite gotten my backpack under the seat, so when I stood up to let him in, I put my backpack on my seat so he wouldn't trip over it. He spied my FO tag and had a snit fit because he ALWAYS sits on the aisle, he NEVER sits by the window and demanded to know how I, a mere FO could've gotten that seat. I looked at him and said "I paid for it". He continued to mumble about how he's a diamond, yada, yada, yada while he made a big show of "struggling" to get in to the window seat.
Holy SOS! I wonder if it’s the same self-centered person I was stuck with. I was in a paid F aisle, and then some DYKWIA Diamond comes up, makes a big production of struggling to get into the window seat, begins acting super antsy, then finally claims he ALWAYS gets an aisle because he’s “claustrophobic”. Ok, I think to myself, ATL-PHL, how bad can it be, and I switch. He plops into the aisle seat, flips the TV onto an extremely partisan all news channel, and begins to try to engage me in a political discussion by starting out with “I’m really pretty middle of the road but...” He spends literally the entire flight going on about how people of his particular political persuasion are unfairly treated by others and mis-represented, and how horrible “they” are, and all of the “heinous, treasonous acts ‘they’” have done, but nobody is doing anything about THAT! Instead, it’s all .., and here I am, ear buds in, trapped. Ugh. Never again.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Holy SOS! I wonder if it’s the same self-centered person I was stuck with. I was in a paid F aisle, and then some DYKWIA Diamond comes up, makes a big production of struggling to get into the window seat, begins acting super antsy, then finally claims he ALWAYS gets an aisle because he’s “claustrophobic”. Ok, I think to myself, ATL-PHL, how bad can it be, and I switch. He plops into the aisle seat, flips the TV onto an extremely partisan all news channel, and begins to try to engage me in a political discussion by starting out with “I’m really pretty middle of the road but...” He spends literally the entire flight going on about how people of his particular political persuasion are unfairly treated by others and mis-represented, and how horrible “they” are, and all of the “heinous, treasonous acts ‘they’” have done, but nobody is doing anything about THAT! Instead, it’s all .., and here I am, ear buds in, trapped. Ugh. Never again.
When did Delta add Spectrum News to the Sat TV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.