Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

... or how to instantly irk a Sky Club employee

During check in, it’s customary that the ambassador (concierge) goes over your flight details, recognizes your status, reminds you of the WiFi password, etc.

However, a surprisingly *large* portion of guests will walk away when the ambassador is in mid-sentence speaking to the guest, and without finishing check in. Not saying a single word... no “hi,” “thanks,” or even an “ok.” Soooo awkward.

Anyone guilty of this? It’s the number one pet peeve for us! So be mindful!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
  • Travel industry professionals who are registering an account in order to post in an official capacity on behalf of their employer or company can be identified across FlyerTalk by their green-colored username. In order to obtain such an official designation, please contact the [email protected].
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
  • Travel industry professionals who are registering an account in order to post in an official capacity on behalf of their employer or company can be identified across FlyerTalk by their green-colored username. In order to obtain such an official designation, please contact the [email protected].
This does not seem official, right?

In any case, PraisedPepper, welcome to FT and it's SO GREAT to have a SC agent on the forum!

What else are big staff pet peeves? This forum is full of pax pet peeves, mostly about other pax, (loud cell phone talking being the worse).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's pet peeve that when I check in, all I want is for the agent to say, "welcome" or something like that and, "is there anything I can help you with?"

I am capable of reviewing my own tickets and asking questions if I have them.

Same thing at hotels as well. Just give me the key card, point me to the elevators and ask if I need anything. I'll respond if I do.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It's pet peeve that when I check in, all I want is for the agent to say, "welcome" or something like that and, "is there anything I can help you with?"

Same thing at hotels as well. Just give me the key card, point me to the elevators and ask if I need anything. I'll respond if I do.
Sorry to be blunt, but that is just so rude. If a human being is in front of you and trying to be helpful and connect and provide information, just do the courteous thing and listen respectfully. Is the 10 extra seconds really such a problem?

Also, please remember that the alternative is staff who are rude to pax and don't go the extra mile, something that FT is full of complaints about. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Hard pass. But thanks anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by PraisedPepper

Well, I hope this is not just a drive by. Please, we insist, you must stay for dinner.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I think you just got the Internet forum equivalent of your analogue SC pet peeve.

Seriously, stick around. We can use feedback from “The Other Side.”

Last edited by TheHorta; Dec 7, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This does not seem official, right?

In any case, PraisedPepper, welcome to FT and it's SO GREAT to have a SC agent on the forum!

What else are big staff pet peeves? This forum is full of pax pet peeves, mostly about other pax, (loud cell phone talking being the worse).
Yeah I'm not getting paid to post Delta stuff so I'm not interested in whatever he's mentioning.

Also I'm struggling with this website. Not sure if I can sustain!

Now as far as pet peeves. You hit it! Number 2 is definitely loud cell phone talking! And not just because the sound is annoying. Because you have to address the guest about the noise, and they tend to be really offended and argumentative. It's a much dreaded interaction. We all turn to each other, "all right, who's dealing with this one?"
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I was trying to reply to the moderators auto message about travel professionals. But I still suck at this website
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Sorry to be blunt, but that is just so rude. If a human being is in front of you and trying to be helpful and connect and provide information, just do the courteous thing and listen respectfully. Is the 10 extra seconds really such a problem?

Also, please remember that the alternative is staff who are rude to pax and don't go the extra mile, something that FT is full of complaints about. Be careful what you wish for.
Originally Posted by Often1

Just know we’re judging you!
HKG_Flyer1, gretchendz and wxman22 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Just know we’re judging you!
Way to be a professional! When are you going to tell us which Skyclub you're at so we know when we can leave our JWDs home?

I'm just relieved this isn't a "tipping" thread regarding the bartenders.
NeedstoFly and PraisedPepper like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Gig103
Way to be a professional! When are you going to tell us which Skyclub you're at so we know when we can leave our JWDs home?
lol defensive much?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Often times, I only hava few minutes for a very fast snack. I have never walked away from an agent, but, just reading the OP, I could feel myself wanting to walk away from him. So . . . . .

If THAT many people are doing it, wouldn't the answer be to simply ASK each guest entering the Club if they'd like their info as opposed to forcing it on them?

MANY times, when I'm entering the Club on arrival, when I'm terminating there, I'm given a gate number for my flight TOMORROW!!!
jaimemayo, BenA, Psyduck1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 7, 2018 at 4:24 pm Reason: s
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I love going to the Delta Sky Clubs. I have often found that my status (silver or gold depending on the year) aren't enough to elicit much response from anyone. The last time I was in Atlanta, I was thrilled when somebody took the time to review my flight details with me. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.