Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Sky Club etiquette tip for frequent guests

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeet
Mildly amusing to see all types of responses here... I mean so many are so full of themselves! so much so that hearing a person do his/her job is annoying to them!!? even worried about degrading the 'Organic Social Interaction'! that takes the cake!
I know this is a pretty obvious humble brag.. but I've never had to hear the check in spiel in all of last year.. and the year before that. And, there's a secret to that!

The secret is visit the skyclub(s) often enough to get on first name basis with check in agents and they will welcome with a smile and "Welcome back!" they will know you travel week in week out and know your stuff.
On an off chance that you start a new route or meet a new agent - grin and bear it for few weeks

@PraisedPepper - welcome to the forum! If you can - let us know which hub you are stationed at and I will bring some candy for you and friends
Oh Whoa! You hacked it! I didn’t think of it until now. Yes, you’ll never get that spiel when you get a first name basis thing going on. 100% the secret handshake. Bravo.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by bergamini
Is this real life?
Real world.

This is not a drill.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by Cyberian

OPSEC is not VIPs. OPSEC is not special agents. OPSEC is not special treatment. OPSEC is keeping your mouth shut and doing your job.
And yet your here on a public forum blabbing. Me thinks someone plays way to much call of duty.
jdrtravel and rcsgeorgia like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach

Real world.

This is not a drill.
Truth.

Pray your job does not include it. I wish I were kidding or trolling
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For many (but not all) AA (Admirals Club) lounges there are "moat dragons" at the entrance, they scan your bp to verify that you can be admitted. Any issues with flts: gate #s , upgrade status, flt. changes etc. are dealt with by a different set of agents elsewhere in the lounge--you only interact with them if you choose to.
This system seems fairly efficient for gaining prompt admission.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nrr
For many (but not all) AA (Admirals Club) lounges there are "moat dragons" at the entrance, they scan your bp to verify that you can be admitted. Any issues with flts: gate #s , upgrade status, flt. changes etc. are dealt with by a different set of agents elsewhere in the lounge--you only interact with them if you choose to.
DL does variations of this in different lounges. Some (DTW main A concourse lounge, MSP) have a separate counter for rebookings and other issues. Some have the mobile admission people son that if you're in and don't need help, you don't need ton approach the counter. However, in other SCs (such as RDU where there were three guys sitting at the counter), everyone goes through the counter, even though this setup seems inefficient.
PraisedPepper likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Cyberian
I find your lack of understanding disturbing, particularly on a DL employee's part. Commercial airport operations are one of the examples of OPSEC training showing failure, and I think I see why now. I've even questioned pre-boarding active duty military and wondered how the hell those that do so passed OPSEC training!?

OPSEC is not VIPs. OPSEC is not special agents. OPSEC is not special treatment. OPSEC is keeping your mouth shut and doing your job. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_security

When you are contractually bound to OPSEC, you follow it. Flying out of LIT with a metro area of ~3/4 of a million people, you may be likely to not know, or be known by anyone on the plane. Flying out of my usual home airport (metro area ~150k) I have *yet* to not know another passenger, and more know of me.

If I'm flying MSO to GRK (on a different carrier...), where the heck do you think I'm going? And do you not speculate why?

The point is, it's none of anyone else's business where I'm going (or why,) and I'd really appreciate it if DL's ticketing/ bag drop/ counter/ SkyClub agents would not say it out loud and let me fly in peace and get to work, because I'm not flying to Killeen to go surfing, though it may be for those *fantastic* butter pecans
Read this for a 3rd time and can't stop laughing. Unreal level of paranoia. Well done.
jdrtravel likes this.

Last edited by apodo77; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:26 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nrr

This is also true of most of the DL lounges that I frequent. SFO has check in at concourse level and then a service desk upstairs in the lounge. I find this works very well.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
You know, everyone has their reasons for liking or not liking, and none are automatically invalid. Adding mine to the mix, I tend to just smile and nod during these interactions, but they are almost completely wasted on me. I have a pretty significant hearing disability which makes it very difficult to understand speech in some situations:
  • Background noise
  • Speaker has an accent
  • Speaker has speech patterns which are unfamiliar to me, or speaker has a mustache/beard which makes it difficult to speechread.
  • Conversation lacks context, making it difficult to anticipate where the conversation might be going
These are all "me problems", but I try to avoid situations which make me feel uncomfortable because I am not confident in my ability to communicate. There is little I find more embarrassing than confidently blurting out an answer to a question which is completely different than the one which was asked.

I work very hard to anticipate issues and be prepared when I travel, in order to minimize the conversations that I might have to have with strangers.

On a recent trip, at the end of her welcome, the Sky Club agent asked me "Do you know the WiFi?" . I blinked at her for a few seconds while my brain sorted through a list of the things that she might have just said. What I came up with was "You have a nice day!". So, in response to her question, I replied "Thank you, you too". That obviously confused *her*, so I had to apologize for misunderstanding, ask her to repeat the question, and then reply that yes, I do know the password.

So, that is my reason for preferring to avoid unnecessary quasi-social interactions like this. Especially when everything they are likely to tell me can be easily accessed some other way.

I am personally a big fan of the agents who say "Welcome! Have you been in our Sky Club before?" I can say "Yes, thank you." and go about my business.
Interesting perspective! I’m glad you shared this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Delta
Here’s the thing - if I check in using my mobile device I have all of the flight and gate information right there. Moreover, if I’m DM then chances are I know how to navigate my way through where I need to be and when.

That said, where the info can be useful is when the plane hasn’t arrived yet so boarding actually won’t occur at the scheduled time but Delta doesn’t update that with a delay so the only way to know is to track the inbound flight or go to the gate. This happens to me a lot with the tight turnaround times from inbound flights to departure but no update from Delta.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I haven't been on FT as long as some of you have, but I have to say, this thread has been one of the most entertaining ones I've come across.
PraisedPepper likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I haven't been on FT as long as some of you have, but I have to say, this thread has been one of the most entertaining ones I've come across.
I am pretty sure that you are not permitted to know how long others have been on FT. That would be a clear breach of OpSec. Speaking of OpSec is also a breach of OpSec. The first rule of OpSec is: You do not talk about OpSec.

Duh
bergamini, jdrtravel, pvn and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I am pretty sure that you are not permitted to know how long others have been on FT. That would be a clear breach of OpSec. Speaking of OpSec is also a breach of OpSec. The first rule of OpSec is: You do not talk about OpSec.

Duh
I don't think we should even know the word OpSec exists! Also, should we debate OpSec vs. OPSEC?
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I don't think we should even know the word OpSec exists! Also, should we debate OpSec vs. OPSEC?
We could, but that would also be a violation.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This thread is amazing.

To echo what others have said, my usual SC entrance consists of the following:
"Hello!"
"Hi!" (scan BP)
"On time, gate B10. Welcome!" (optional, usually only during 1st wk of each month) "BTW wifi password is now cookiemonster."
"Thanks!"

I don't know where y'all are going that SC agents are doing some sort of drawn out interpretive dance that takes up so much or your day that you are so personally wronged and offended, but I usually spend more time trying to get soap out of those damn touchless dispensers in the bathroom than I do checking into the club.
PurdueFlyer, ULDB65 and roberta_h like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.