Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by zitsky
Sangria is good for that wine that is not good enough to enjoy with food but too good to pour down the sink.
exACTly
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I never thought about using wine that isn't good enough to drink for that.
Or you could use the $60 bottle of wine to make sangria.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I never thought about using wine that isn't good enough to drink for that.
We'll, you wouldn't want to take fairly decent wine and waste it by turning it into Sangria, would you?

Plus, I've been told that you shouldn't cook with wine that you're not willing to drink, so that leaves Sangria in summer and hot mulled wine in winter, right, as disposal alternatives?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yet people traditionally consume hamburgers with beer, and hamburgers are beef (unless they're those awful veggie things).
I've actually had some really good turkey burgers (The one from the True Food Kitchen chain is excellent, IMO) But because they're typically lower fat than beef and can't be left pink in the middle, they're a bit fussy to cook without overcooking one and many restaurants just don't want to bother trying.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
We'll, you wouldn't want to take fairly decent wine and waste it by turning it into Sangria, would you?

Plus, I've been told that you shouldn't cook with wine that you're not willing to drink, so that leaves Sangria in summer and hot mulled wine in winter, right, as disposal alternatives?
My usual price point for Tinto de Verano and Sangria is $8-10/bottle. Costco has some rather nice Portuguese reds that work quite well - the bottle is good enough that I’d drink the wine on its own as a happy hour pour or something, but affordable and unprecious enough that I don’t mind mixing it. My current favorite for this purpose is Casa Santos Lima’s “Colossal Reserva” at about $8/bottle. Various affordable Washington red blends also fill the role nicely, like Chateau Ste Michelle. We used to use Charles and Charles Post No. 35 for this purpose when it was $6/bottle, but then it got popular and it’s much less of a good deal at its current $10+ price point (plus we feel the quality has slipped). It’s kind of a rotating door for whatever wine fills this gap for us on any given date; there’s a whole thread in DiningBuzz on decent cheap bottles with more ideas.

My take is that most people think sangria and the like are poor quality beverages because they’re always made with lousy wine. Splurge for something vaguely decent and it’s like a whole new drink...

Of course, in Europe 4€ table wine is used, but in Europe 4€ table wine is also perfectly drinkable - not so much the situation here in the States sadly.

Next time you’re in Madrid, I’d encourage you to give Tinto de Verano a chance. Sounds sketchy, but it’s surprisingly delicious made with the proper gaseosa (soda), and if you start watching around you there are a heck of a lot more Spaniards drinking it than sangria, despite the latter’s fame. It’s the perfect beverage for people watching from a cozy patio cafe in the Parque del Buen Retiro...

kalimotxo, maybe that’s a permanent pass though
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I've actually had some really good turkey burgers (The one from the True Food Kitchen chain is excellent, IMO) But because they're typically lower fat than beef and can't be left pink in the middle, they're a bit fussy to cook without overcooking one and many restaurants just don't want to bother trying.
AS is currently serving a shockingly solid turkey burger onboard on short haul flights (think 600 miles, like SEA-SLC!). It’s uncharacteristically good for them and honestly beats most domestic F meals on DL last year; not over cooked at all, miraculously, although I’m sure the guacamole they serve it with helps lube things up.

Hilarously, AS appears to be using the exact same wood grain curved meal trays DL used to before adopting Alessi. Maybe they got a deal?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Have a great weekend all!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:03 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by zitsky
Or you could use the $60 bottle of wine to make sangria.
No, I'd prefer not to use that.

True
I've found turkey burgers tend to not have a lot of flavor.
Originally Posted by BenA

My usual price point for Tinto de Verano and Sangria is $8-10/bottle. Costco has some rather nice Portuguese reds that work quite well - the bottle is good enough that I’d drink the wine on its own as a happy hour pour or something, but affordable and unprecious enough that I don’t mind mixing it. My current favorite for this purpose is Casa Santos Lima’s “Colossal Reserva” at about $8/bottle. Various affordable Washington red blends also fill the role nicely, like Chateau Ste Michelle. We used to use Charles and Charles Post No. 35 for this purpose when it was $6/bottle, but then it got popular and it’s much less of a good deal at its current $10+ price point (plus we feel the quality has slipped). It’s kind of a rotating door for whatever wine fills this gap for us on any given date; there’s a whole thread in DiningBuzz on decent cheap bottles with more ideas.

My take is that most people think sangria and the like are poor quality beverages because they’re always made with lousy wine. Splurge for something vaguely decent and it’s like a whole new drink...

Of course, in Europe 4€ table wine is used, but in Europe 4€ table wine is also perfectly drinkable - not so much the situation here in the States sadly.

Next time you’re in Madrid, I’d encourage you to give Tinto de Verano a chance. Sounds sketchy, but it’s surprisingly delicious made with the proper gaseosa (soda), and if you start watching around you there are a heck of a lot more Spaniards drinking it than sangria, despite the latter’s fame. It’s the perfect beverage for people watching from a cozy patio cafe in the Parque del Buen Retiro...

kalimotxo, maybe that’s a permanent pass though
Now I'm going to have to try a bunch of different wines for Sangria.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:14 pm

I'm torn between going to bed and watching Thor: The Dark World. Do I try to fall asleep while watching Thor?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

I've found turkey burgers tend to not have a lot of flavor.
The good one I've had, it's a little salt, a little pepper and a few other spices into the ground turkey to make it work well.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm torn between going to bed and watching Thor: The Dark World. Do I try to fall asleep while watching Thor?
Sweet dreams
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... Now I'm going to have to try a bunch of different wines for Sangria.
and this is a problem why?
BenA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:07 am

The good one I've had, it's a little salt, a little pepper and a few other spices into the ground turkey to make it work well.
We occasionally have good ones with spinach, nutmeg, granulated garlic, and cheese.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Sweet dreams

Originally Posted by jrl767

and this is a problem why?
I didn't say it was a problem.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:08 am

Happy Sunday, Lounge! I'm off to get breakfast and then transport two rotties to their new family.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Is it ok to link to other forum websites on here? Thought y'all might appreciate this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/com...t_my_grandmas/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.