Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When did DL confirm your upgrade? Did you call DL on the day of departure to request the upgrade or did it just appear in your itinerary (due to a GUC waitlist) at some point? Was the ticket reissued into D1 before the conference call between DL and KLM?
Delta had me #1 on the Upgrade list with 3 seats open. So, Delta hadn't cleared me yet. KLM didn't recognize that I was even on the Upgrade Waitlist ("something is wrong with your GUC. You're not on the list"). With that big of a difference of opinion, I got them on the phone together. At 90 minutes out, KLM finally agreed with Delta and upgraded me.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta

That’s funny. The KLM reps I spoke to flatly REFUSED to speak with the DL rep I had on the phone while I was talking with them, and actually said they do NOT talk with DL reps on the phone. I even said the phone rep specifically requested me to hand them the phone, and they sternly said “NO!”

I wonder if we were in the lounge at the same time. I was there at ~0930 specifically so I would have ample time to get the UG sorted.
I left the lounge at about 9:30. So, perhaps they refused BECAUSE of me ! Sorry about that...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:27 am

DL has a major operation in AMS. Do they really save much money by contracting KL to work on DL flights vs hiring their own staff?

They must pay KL anyway and given all inconveniences / sync issues between DL and KL systems, is it really worth it?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AntonS
DL has a major operation in AMS. Do they really save much money by contracting KL to work on DL flights vs hiring their own staff?

They must pay KL anyway and given all inconveniences / sync issues between DL and KL systems, is it really worth it?
If anyone pays anyone for co-hub operations, KLM pays Delta given KLM only has AMS and DL has so many more hubs where they handle KLM flights

I don't think it's a financial thing but rather an operations and SkyTeam thing
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
But surely KLM operates their own flights at some USA airports like JFK and ORD and the JV probably means that the total number of TATL flights or TATL seats or TATL passengers (I don't know what metric is in the JV contract) would be equal.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Delta did all KLM ops at SFO for a while but it was similarly dreadful, so that experiment has now ended as well. It's not the best.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Watchers of this thread will be happy to hear I was firmly declined the opportunity to do a miles/money DOD upgrade today due to an active gate waitlist for GUC and mileage upgrade users.

I’m not thrilled about it of course facing the prospect of 11 hours in 22B, but at least the process seems to be working.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Watchers of this thread will be happy to hear I was firmly declined the opportunity to do a miles/money DOD upgrade today due to an active gate waitlist for GUC and mileage upgrade users.

I’m not thrilled about it of course facing the prospect of 11 hours in 22B, but at least the process seems to be working.
Is this a change to the upgrade rules exAMS? DL never officially allowed upgrades with miles at the airport, although some people have been successful when there are premium cabin seats, the GA knows how to pull miles, and the GA has time to bother with it.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

ex-AMS there is no waitlist for DoD GUC upgrade. AFA miles go, DL doesn't do DoD mile upgrade waitlists anywhere. I think someone lied to you.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ex-AMS there is no waitlist for DoD GUC upgrade. AFA miles go, DL doesn't do DoD mile upgrade waitlists anywhere. I think someone lied to you.
i was told by two different KL agents (one at the ticket office and one at the No52 lounge) that I could not get a typical DOD miles + euros upgrade because the waitlist had 4 people on it ahead of me and 3 seats were available. Both made phone calls on my behalf and both had the exact same conversation in Dutch to inquire about availability and eligibility.

im just reporting what happened—I’m aware of the typical nuances of exAMS upgrade since I travel there frequently. This was the first time I was declined due to a waitlist versus D1 being sold out.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:51 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So on the side note, besides asking directly, is there any way to find out if they are selling upgrades to J out of AMS? I've never seen an offer....

The only time I was successful was when I was in KGL and there was a seat available for miles only, which I grabbed. Usually my fare class requires and cash copay which usually my cheapness sets in.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Since KLM will offer any open seat up for sale on the DOD you can check it on EF. They might contact the gate for the last open seat.
This is today 's 30-09-2018 AMS-BOS flight availability, thus 5 upgrades are currently available:

DL 259
AMS 09/30/18 11:15
BOS 09/30/18 13:16
J5 C5 D5 I5 Z0 W0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K5 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9

KL 6017
AMS 09/30/18 11:15
BOS 09/30/18 13:16 333
J5 C5 D5 I5 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L5 Q0 T0 E0 N0 R0 V0
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:45 am

Doesn't J5 just mean that DL would be willing to sell 5 D1 seats at a FULL J fare and not that there are 5 open D1 seats on the flight?I suspect that even exAMS, DL would be happy to take the money and pay a lot to rebook or downgrade someone.

In your example the I5 etc. is more informative IMO.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Of course they more then happily sell a full J fare. What i saw in the past is that if you have..say a M fare, KLM is happily taking your miles or GUC/SWU on the DOD, afer collecting those availability will be J4 C4 D4 I4 etcetera.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cygnus
In my experience, once the control of the flight has been turned over to KLM, DL does not see the correct seat availability. I believe that the reason for this is that DL and KL use different software for this (the GDS, or Global Distribution System). DL uses its inhouse system Deltamatic, while KLM uses Amadeus (I think). The hand over means that the status of the flight including the seat assignments gets loaded into Amadeus. All changes done after that are not mapped back into Deltamatic, which is why you cannot change your seats on delta.com after the 24h hour mark and why DL agents cannot see the current seat map.
What you're describing is actually ACI (Automated check in, or I've also heard it called ACS at some carriers (automated checkin system)).

GDS is for booking and inventory management. Day of departure flight activities (like boarding, upgrading, closing out a flight) are handled via ACI. These two systems are connected, but not the same thing. Por ejemplo: KL doesn't need DL's GDS access to sell or rebook their flight...they already have their own. However, they do need DL's flight access to ACI to work the DL flight. They use that in their own SW (and so do most other carriers), but only if DL provides the access for them to work the flight. Generally airlines share the minimum in ACI with partner carriers. Just enough info for them to work the flight. Could be a reason for the discrepancy.

I've had mixed luck using GUCs from AMS too. Once they begrudgingly upgraded me at the gate, and they forgot (?) to attack my GUC so I was able to use it again...other times they wouldn't even try to upgrade me and seats went out empty in D1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.