Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
For what's it worth. KLM cancelled some 100 flights yesterday due to a storm this Friday September 21st. I can imagine a lot of people got rebooked on flights leaving today, filling up some of those cabins that did have 10+ open seats pretty quick.
+1

Most likely scenario.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIk DL is always obligated to follow its own DOT approved and published rules for IDBs and involuntary downgrades. EC261 only applies to DL operated flights that depart FROM the EU and certain other countries that aren't EU members but have chosen nevertheless to follow EC261 regulations, IIRC including Switzerland and Turkey. The UK might soon be added to the list (or not).
Sorry for going OT but this deserves a clarification / explanation

EU261 is part of UK law by way of a Statutory Instrument (secondary legislation). Brexit next year will not affect that and it will remain in force until the UK Parliament rescinds or replaces the original Instrument.

The UK Parliament has already passed legislation that will being into UK law all existing European Court of Justice rulings including those relating to EU261 on Brexit day. What will happen is that after Brexit if either the ECJ makes further rulings or the EU amends or replaces 261 the UK does not automatically have to implement such changes on flights departing the UK and the existing rules will apply - which I understand is the position in Switzerland where it follows the original regulation but not necessarily the ECJ rulings.

So lets say in 2021 the ECJ rules that weather is no longer an extraordinary circumstance and delay compensation should be paid. Such a ruling wouldn't automatically apply to flights departing the UK. So you could have 2 DL flights delayed by the same Atlantic storm one leaving LHR and the other AMS - DL would have to pay out on the ex-AMS but not the ex-LHR.

If EU261 was rescinded entirely in the UK then it wouldn't apply to any non EU Community carriers at all arriving (as now) or - and this would be the change - departing the UK
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by pvn
Are these non-rev? positive space? "staff" is too vague to tell how crappy this is.

in any case, confirming what are almost certainly non-revs hours before a flight seems like a pretty shady move.
She just said the other agent had already used the space for “staff travel”. So unclear. The weird part is that the seat was still for sale on dl.com, google flights. The DL agent literally grabbed the seat and changed my flight. I am fine with staff travel, KLM should just remove the seat for sale (following what ever rule there is). The fact that the AMS KLM staff seem to be saving seats still for sale leads me to believe that they don’t really have the authority to assign it to staff. What was really shocking is how the main KLM gate agent spoke to her fellow Delta colleague on the phone. Yelling at him on the phone saying how could he move me and that she needed the seat was way over the top. She mentioned that KLM had control 24 hours before blah blah. KLM agents have got to know that you can buy seats on DL/KLM between US and AMS even an hour before the flights. So unclear why they think they control everything. I think they would have surrendered the seat if I was a true last min pax. They wanted to control the moving between flights to ensure their staff got on the flights. My guess / 2 cents.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
This thread isn’t making me feel good about my upgrade chances on my JFK-AMS-DEL or DEL-AMS flights coming up in a few weeks.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by acrophobia
This thread isn’t making me feel good about my upgrade chances on my JFK-AMS-DEL or DEL-AMS flights coming up in a few weeks.
This is the first time I’ve used a GUC out of AMS. I’m batting .000.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Grouchy
KLM doesn't have a list as they don't do waitlists. Airport standby is not available on Delta operated flights originating from AMS (and CDG).
KL's DOD buy up programma is in effect. First come first served.

Wish DL agents could...just somewhat dissapointing that a random pax bumps a DM who may have waiting for weeks for his/her upgrade to clear.
Just to clarify: you mean THAT upgrade you are waitlisted for months and DL could have upgraded you a hundred times if they would feel you should get it? DL agents could have upgraded you anytime. KLM has only control about 30 hours before departure. Delta 300+ days.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by acrophobia
It works fine, so long as you make all DoD changes ex-AMS with KLM. OP tried to made a DoD change ex-AMS with DL - that just does not work. Period.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mnbp
It works fine, so long as you make all DoD changes ex-AMS with KLM. OP tried to made a DoD change ex-AMS with DL - that just does not work. Period.
KL was useless to OP in this case.

For a DL marketed and operates flight, having mis-matched inventory is simply unacceptable. Further unacceptable to give away a J seat to a nonrev.

Delta knows it does not work - for years now - why the hell don't they fix it?!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One thing I'm curious is why nobody also mentioned the standard downgrade compensation that DL offers if you're confirmed in F/J and end up sitting in the back due to irops or invol downgrade like this. For domestic travel it is a $200 voucher. Not sure how much more it is for intl D1.

Anyway I'm glad that DL contacted you from seeing this thread and had a resolution that you found acceptable
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Just to clarify: you mean THAT upgrade you are waitlisted for months and DL could have upgraded you a hundred times if they would feel you should get it? DL agents could have upgraded you anytime. KLM has only control about 30 hours before departure. Delta 300+ days.
Inclined to agree. If there really were 10 or so unsold seats when control transferred to KL, shame on DL for not having cleared the upgrade before then. Unless, I suppose, they knew of pending IRROPS.
CPMaverick and TheHorta like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Inclined to agree. If there really were 10 or so unsold seats when control transferred to KL, shame on DL for not having cleared the upgrade before then. Unless, I suppose, they knew of pending IRROPS.
Perhaps this is borderline conspiracy theory, but I wonder if DL keeps metrics on individual elite customers’ paid upgrade probability. I book paid F/J/Z ~70% of the time, and I inquired at the AMS lounge about paying for a UG so I didn’t need to burn a GUC that I could better use on an SYD trip. If KLM has said there was availability there’s a real possibility I would’ve ponied up.

If DL keeps these kind of metrics (and why wouldn’t they) it would be interesting to know if their automated system uses them to push elites at a certain threshold toward buying UGs by delaying the complimentary UGs.

Not it saying that happened here, but a system intelligent enough could easily manage such a criteria.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Not to add confusion to the issue, but I had the exact same problem on the exact same day ... only on the earlier flight DL 73.

After receiving confirmation from DL that I had the upgrade, I meandered to "Lounge 52", the nearest KLM Lounge, and sat down with an agent to work. I actually had to get the KLM rep to call the Delta line and work it out. At the end of the day, I got assigned 7A in J.

There is obviously a problem with the overall "system" here. Since it's Delta metal, I would assume Delta is correct.
wrp96 and TheHorta like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mr_hoff
Not to add confusion to the issue, but I had the exact same problem on the exact same day ... only on the earlier flight DL 73.

After receiving confirmation from DL that I had the upgrade, I meandered to "Lounge 52", the nearest KLM Lounge, and sat down with an agent to work. I actually had to get the KLM rep to call the Delta line and work it out. At the end of the day, I got assigned 7A in J.

There is obviously a problem with the overall "system" here. Since it's Delta metal, I would assume Delta is correct.
When did DL confirm your upgrade? Did you call DL on the day of departure to request the upgrade or did it just appear in your itinerary (due to a GUC waitlist) at some point? Was the ticket reissued into D1 before the conference call between DL and KLM?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr_hoff

That’s funny. The KLM reps I spoke to flatly REFUSED to speak with the DL rep I had on the phone while I was talking with them, and actually said they do NOT talk with DL reps on the phone. I even said the phone rep specifically requested me to hand them the phone, and they sternly said “NO!”

I wonder if we were in the lounge at the same time. I was there at ~0930 specifically so I would have ample time to get the UG sorted.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I could understand a policy of them calling DL directly rather than agreeing to be handed your phone for two reasons: Risk of dropping/damaging your phone and possibility that you're really just talking to a friend posing as a DL agent.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.