Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta 360
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
So you are trying to make sense of something involving the airlines?? Maybe, you can help us all figure out why they
do anything else, without know their inner most secrets. Trust me, I know people in upper management at Delta. Either they
really don't know or they are forbidden from sharing.
I figured it is all top secret and it changes continuously. Fun to guess, I suppose.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fastenyourbelt
If you assume that the average 360 member flies 25 percent of the time (that's about what I do), that puts 1,500 traveling per day spread across Delta's 15,000 flights... or 1 in every 10 flights. Right?
I know someone who is 360. She flies at the most once per month, but it is 100% international long-haul flights in paid business-class. Maybe 60% of the time on Delta. Meanwhile I know lots of platinums and diamonds who fly twice a week and struggle to maintain their status.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yeah, like a driver is going to have access to these numbers. May as well ask an FA. Or the guy that caters flights.
My understanding from chatting with folks at the SkyTeam MegaDo is that the drivers are actually full time Delta employees who are more deeply involved in customer service than you might imagine; I believe they are trained agents empowered to help with ticketing situations and other elite services. I know I was able to work through the driver in one case to make a ticketing change that we needed to make, for example.

Given that they are intimately involved in delivering a benefit that's primarily intended for the 360 population, it's not at all crazy that they would be well informed about the number of Medallions that fall into that category.

(I also happen to think the 6,000 number - at or slightly under a tenth of the estimated overall DM population - passes the smell test.)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fastenyourbelt
That number sounds rather solid, based on the figures that a bit of research has me estimating:

6,000 - 360
60,000 - Diamond
120,000 - Platinum
200,000 - Gold
450,000 - Silver

Do you have evidence that would prove otherwise with regards to the 6,000 Delta 360 members? In nearly all cases, I am the only 360 on the aircraft.

Delta has 901 aircraft. If you assume that the average 360 member flies 25 percent of the time (that's about what I do), that puts 1,500 traveling per day spread across Delta's 15,000 flights... or 1 in every 10 flights. Right?
There are a lot more total elites than this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BenA
My understanding from chatting with folks at the SkyTeam MegaDo is that the drivers are actually full time Delta employees who are more deeply involved in customer service than you might imagine; I believe they are trained agents empowered to help with ticketing situations and other elite services. I know I was able to work through the driver in one case to make a ticketing change that we needed to make, for example.

Given that they are intimately involved in delivering a benefit that's primarily intended for the 360 population, it's not at all crazy that they would be well informed about the number of Medallions that fall into that category.

(I also happen to think the 6,000 number - at or slightly under a tenth of the estimated overall DM population - passes the smell test.)
I think a better estimate would come from asking a driver on average how many customers they shuttle per day and then working on the math from there.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by itravelalot
I think a better estimate would come from asking a driver on average how many customers they shuttle per day and then working on the math from there.
There would be a lot of assumptions that could vary wildly in that approach.

* How many drivers does the airport have? What is the average shift duration? How many shifts? Does it vary across Delta's hubs?
* What percent of passengers are Delta 360 customers versus lowly Diamonds?
* How frequently do Delta 360 customers fly?
* What percent of Delta 360 customers are connecting?
* What percent of Delta 360 connections end up in the shuttle?

Fermi estimation is useful when you're looking for an order-of-magnitude answer. Unfortunately I think we already have a pretty safe range if you're only looking for order of magnitude estimation (the number of Delta 360 members almost certainly varies between 2500 to 25000 for example).
indufan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Yeah, like a driver is going to have access to these numbers. May as well ask an FA. Or the guy that caters flights.
Interesting attitude.

In a multitude of professions, I have found that the employees with most contact with the customers, often have more of a clue than upper management.

They certainly understand where the rubber meets the road.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Or is it just very important that you be recognized as the most important customer on the plane?
The most important person on the plane is the rare customer who pays full-fare first class. That will trump status every time. A full-fare first class seat will never get you bumped, will give you all the priorities of top-tier status, and is fully refundable and changable.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
It's so good, nearly 60K people participate. Why would it be a bad thing to have another published tier above DM, using their same calculation methodology? Why would it be a bad thing to not be forced to compete with large herd numbers?

I'm not seeing what deleterious effect such a tier -- one that can't be manipulated by CC spend -- would create.
I highly recommend you watch this episode of Frasier: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0582388/

Additional cull-the-herd status tiers for the sake of stoking egos helps no one. Don't be the guy who flies private and yet envies the other guy with the bigger plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.