Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I've spent over $60K this year, always in F/J and at best do trips every other or every third week.
Screenshot, or it didn’t happen.

(I know it did, but your screenshots give me wood, so...)

TommyD2 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Screenshot, or it didn’t happen.
I'm not sure how, in a screenshot, I can prove I only travel every other or every third week. But here are my 220K MQMs and $64K spend for 2018 to date..

(I know it did, but your screenshots give me wood, so...)
Pic or it didn't happen!!
TommyD2, manacit and TheHorta like this.

Last edited by DL-Don; Aug 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:33 am

It would be neat for DL to post the top 20 Million Miler Qualification balances to see just how crazy it gets. No need to post any identifying information, just the balances down to the mile.
DL-Don and TheHorta like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
1) It doesn’t matter whether it affects other Diamonds or not. That’s irrelevant. It turns something ostensibly intended to be special into something trivial.

Sorry.. this is just frequent flyer status. What are you really looking for? Are you looking for the gate agents to blow out some confetti and have the pilot walk back and give you a cupcake because you happened to fly 250K MQM?

2) Why NOT have another tier? Once upon a time they stopped at Platinum. Who’s complaining now that there’s a new tier above Platinum?
Pragmatically Diamond was introduced as a result of a merger with Northwest. Has Delta acquired another massive airline company I wasn't aware of?

3) Who does it hurt to have another published tier that can’t be diluted by credit card shenanigans?
It adds cost and complexity for Delta.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sorry.. this is just frequent flyer status. What are you really looking for? Are you looking for the gate agents to blow out some confetti and have the pilot walk back and give you a cupcake because you happened to fly 250K MQM?
This please!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:10 am

I think DL is aware of the hand wringing the credit card has brought on, and with the $250k waiver made a significant move toward reestablishing the exclusivity of Diamond. Their other choice was to create another tier, which they may still do, but I think DM's will see the herd thin significantly.

Further, I'd venture to guess that a not insignificant number of people outright dropped their AMEX and went with another airline/Chase and won't even be in any status group now.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gators300
I think DL is aware of the hand wringing the credit card has brought on, and with the $250k waiver made a significant move toward reestablishing the exclusivity of Diamond. Their other choice was to create another tier, which they may still do, but I think DM's will see the herd thin significantly.

Further, I'd venture to guess that a not insignificant number of people outright dropped their AMEX and went with another airline/Chase and won't even be in any status group now.
I don't understand why people really care about the MQD waiver Diamonds.

People will fall into two camps:
1) Those who fly at peak times and pay a lot for airfare and will always hit their MQD metric
2) Those who fly at off times on cheap fares that get a lot of MQMs but not MQDs.

The intersection of flights where both (1) and (2) are present is - while probably not zero - not that high. But if you are, then MQD waiver Diamonds is on a lower fare class and will lose out anyways. You're not in competition with each other. The only people getting hurt are possibly Platinums.

There are some exceptions to this (e.g., those who took a break from flying but had lots of MQM rollover and then start to travel again) but I hold the above to be rather axiomatic. I say this as someone who will be 2-3x over the MQD waiver who would theoretically "benefit" from the MQD waiver.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
So I think we all need to stop thinking like Ryan Bingham. (He even had an awakening by the end of the movie )

ANY elite status is good for basically two things, that is better assistance in IRROPS and better ability to get someone on the phone PERIOD

BASICALLY all benefits of FO/GM/PM/DM come when you purchase an F/J ticket

Though I would think it would be pretty cool if Sam Elliott came from the cockpit to sit and talk with me so if DL can make that happen I will withdraw my statement :P
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davevaill
Any Guess on the number of 360 diamonds?
somewhere between 1 and a million
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by indufan
I find another tier silly. If that is a good idea. Why not 10 more tiers?
How about just get rid of tiers completely and just tell everyone exactly their rank in the pecking order?
indufan and TheHorta like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
So I think we all need to stop thinking like Ryan Bingham. (He even had an awakening by the end of the movie )

ANY elite status is good for basically two things, that is better assistance in IRROPS and better ability to get someone on the phone PERIOD

BASICALLY all benefits of FO/GM/PM/DM come when you purchase an F/J ticket

Though I would think it would be pretty cool if Sam Elliott came from the cockpit to sit and talk with me so if DL can make that happen I will withdraw my statement :P
For PM/DM there is the free redeposit for miles awards, and status certainly does seem to get more leeway when it comes to bending some rules and change fees.

I'm not intimately familiar with the other main programs, but is it different at UA/AA?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by pvn
How about just get rid of tiers completely and just tell everyone exactly their rank in the pecking order?
Like the extreme version of WN's boarding order?

Or we could just go full Black Mirror and everyone is ranked by their Customer Value Score, and then treated accordingly regardless of the miles flown...that would be an interesting wake up call for many people, both those who think they're important but aren't, and those who don't think they're important but are.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by kop84
For PM/DM there is the free redeposit for miles awards, and status certainly does seem to get more leeway when it comes to bending some rules and change fees.

I'm not intimately familiar with the other main programs, but is it different at UA/AA?
Good point I forgot about the redeposit of miles which is valuable too (so 3 things ) I know I have used the redeposit option multiple times.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
50,000+ of anything isn't very "Elite."
Who cares what the dictionary definition of "elite" is?

People on this message board use the term "elite" to describe the airline programs generically, but it doesn't matter if the programs fit yours or Merriam-Webster's or Oxford's conception of who is or is not an elite. And beyond this message board, practically no one cares about referring to the programs in general terms.

As has been pointed out in the past, despite how they spin it, the airlines don't have "rewards" programs, only "incentives" ones. There's no value in the airline rewarding customers, be they "elite," "most valued," "loyal" or otherwise, for past good behavior per se, They only care about incentivizing future behavior. And when designing these programs and their qualifications, those incentives are all that matters. The definition of elite doesn't.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:23 pm

Enough with the CC shenanigans.
“Cc shenanigans” acccounts for 50% of deltas profit

TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.