Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
When was the changeover from the old rules to the new ones?
I didn't start flying Delta regularly until around 2000 and the new program was in place then. I'd guess early to mid 90s? A FT search may turn up some info. I remember in my early FT days there were people still redeeming old miles. Since the old miles never expired and the new skymiles did, when Delta changed the program they felt inclined to be ethical and keep the old rules for the old miles. Given how easy it is to redeem miles, it never seemed to me like a big deal to have them expire if there was no account activity for 3 years.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - thanks. I vaguely recall a time with new and old miles, but I wasn't miles-woke back then. Glad I wasn't missing something more recent. I really liked (and use) the Platinum AA status I got under similar circumstances (but much more recently).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DL-Don
MQM boosts went into effect with the introduction of the DL branded AMEX cards.

In the early days of the original Delta Frequent Flyer Program, AMEX spend on Delta counted toward MM status. Sadly, my employer gave me a Diner's Club card for travel. The DC card spend DID NOT count toward MM status. Also in those days, minimum mileage credit was 1000 miles per segment. I DID benefit from that! ^
Correct I know have one guy with 20M MQM, he owned a business back then and put everything on his CC. AA was the same way until all the mergers.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:29 am

Not sure how many there are overall, but for any given flight, the formula is this:

Number of Upgrade Seats Available - My position on the upgrade list + 1 = Number of DMs + PMs
josephstern and SeaHawg like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Maybe a bit OT, but I ran into a fellow FTer and we joked about this thread.

I told him a story about what an ambassador at the BNA SkyClub told me a few weeks ago after a newly-minted DM (segments) checked in.

She said there is a BNA based flyer in the DL family who is a 9 Million Miler, never flown outside of the US (no passport), and is obviously DM and 360 based on segments every year.

Assuming this guy is still working and is 65 or so, how is this even mathematically possible? That’s a ton of segments- especially from BNA...

Hawaii every week??
He used to have the DL credit card and racked up a lot of MQM that way. But living in BNA you get 400 Segments a year, not fun but doable. I use to get 300 - 350 when all I covered was the Southeast. Fly out Monday morning 2 segments Tuesday night 2 segments to the next city and home Thursday 2 segments. 4 hours total per trip at most. Sad part Is doing something like that you would only get 3,000 miles a week, but spend 50-75 k a year.
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What *new* MQD requirements are you talking about? DL has had MQD requirements for all elite tiers, including DM, for several years, including waiver rules for foreign addresses, although recently the DL AmEx spend requirement for the DM MQD waiver was raised significantly.
I meant new MQD waiver level of 250k .. I am wondering how worth it might be to go for it. I'd probably end up at $225k spend by the end of the year and I am wondering if transferring some spend from other cards is worth the trouble.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if you don't do it, you get the ability to roll over an additional 50K MQMs, assuming you are in a position to be Diamond if you hit the spend.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by syd999
I meant new MQD waiver level of 250k .. I am wondering how worth it might be to go for it. I'd probably end up at $225k spend by the end of the year and I am wondering if transferring some spend from other cards is worth the trouble.
It depends on whether you want DM for next year and whether you'll hit the DM MQD requirement anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by vincentharris
PM now DM next month and 95% of the time I either buy F outright at purchase, or with work travel purchase economy and then out of my pocket i pay for the op-up for F. Upgrades are not a big thing for me.

The email about summer travel I got the other day said I sat in the front 68% of the time, but I think their math is off

The reason I was able to hit the MQD waiver of $15k this year was expensive domestic fares at the last minute, and the op ups to F/paying for F outright. Otherwise I can see it being very difficult for people to hit $15k
My e-mail said I sat in the front 93% of the time.
There was no mention that I buy F a lot (same as you) and my upgrade % is less than 35% on the year when I ddin't buy F.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta 360
Originally Posted by bonoman
They can't be transparent on the qualifications for that - no way you'll see that number ever.

That's the number I heard today from the Delta driver who shuttled me between flights. Yes, I asked.

(I'm a 360.)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by fastenyourbelt

That's the number I heard today from the Delta driver who shuttled me between flights. Yes, I asked.

(I'm a 360.)
Yeah, like a driver is going to have access to these numbers. May as well ask an FA. Or the guy that caters flights.
indufan and bonoman like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was that chocolate maker that unintentionally leaked the number of AA CK members a few months back (11,300).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta 360
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Yeah, like a driver is going to have access to these numbers. May as well ask an FA. Or the guy that caters flights.
That number sounds rather solid, based on the figures that a bit of research has me estimating:

6,000 - 360
60,000 - Diamond
120,000 - Platinum
200,000 - Gold
450,000 - Silver

Do you have evidence that would prove otherwise with regards to the 6,000 Delta 360 members? In nearly all cases, I am the only 360 on the aircraft.

Delta has 901 aircraft. If you assume that the average 360 member flies 25 percent of the time (that's about what I do), that puts 1,500 traveling per day spread across Delta's 15,000 flights... or 1 in every 10 flights. Right?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by fastenyourbelt
That number sounds rather solid, based on the figures that a bit of research has me estimating:

6,000 - 360
60,000 - Diamond
120,000 - Platinum
200,000 - Gold
450,000 - Silver

Do you have evidence that would prove otherwise with regards to the 6,000 Delta 360 members? In nearly all cases, I am the only 360 on the aircraft.

Delta has 901 aircraft. If you assume that the average 360 member flies 25 percent of the time (that's about what I do), that puts 1,500 traveling per day spread across Delta's 15,000 flights... or 1 in every 10 flights. Right?
That's flights on Delta. But that doesn't include JV flights on AF, KL, AZ, VS, VA, KE, or AM. Or any of the other Skyteam Carriers like MU, VN, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
So you are trying to make sense of something involving the airlines?? Maybe, you can help us all figure out why they
do anything else, without know their inner most secrets. Trust me, I know people in upper management at Delta. Either they
really don't know or they are forbidden from sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.