Missed Basic Economy flight

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Interesting. I am considering changing all my travel to Delta (mostly for route/schedule reasons). So far I've bought 4 BE tickets this month and saved $25 per one-way. I'm not very price sensitive, I just didn't see any value in paying $25 more.

So why would I buy BE? Well, I have no status (yet) so I'm not eligible for any kind of upgrade, I don't check a bag, and although I sometimes change my plans, when that happens I usually end up throwing away the original ticket anyway because most of my tickets are below the value of the change fee. The flights where I bought BE are all on E170/E175 so no chance of a middle seat (there's really not a bad seat on those planes).

I came to this thread because I was surprised that DL reportedly does not apply the flat tire rule to BE (as AA does, which is confirmed in the AA forum). That may influence my decision on whether to keep buying BE (although so far I'm $100 ahead)

(By the way, the majority of customers on my last flight were in BE. Maybe we're Delta's least valuable customers but they're making up for it in volume.)
If the vast majority of your tickets are less than $200, then you are very lucky that the markets you fly are either hyper competitive or you can book far out. That just isn't the case for most people.

I think DL would apply the flat tire rule for BE tickets depending on the circumstances. OP waking up late is not some extra-ordinary event that was outside of his control. And if OP got to the counter the moment his flight was going to be taking off, then it should have been readily apparent when OP woke up The flat-tire rule, is in place for exactly what it's called. Something like a flat tire on the way to the airport. An accident that snarls traffic, or some other type of emergency beyond your control.

Could DL have made an exception as customer service gesture, sure. But if OP had come here a week before the flight, and posed this exact scenario as a hypothetical "what would happen to me" question OP would have been told it's at best 50/50 DL applies the FTR or makes you buy a new ticket.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by kop84
People that price sensitive don't typically have much brand loyalty.
I appreciate your use of "typically" , I've been reading this thread because I have a basic economy flight coming up this Friday. I am gold with VS (which translates to gold with Delta) and fly Delta for all of my domestic business trips and a handful of leisure. Mainly so that I can maintain my gold status with VS.

So I've been reading related threads and having some concerns but mainly my reasons for selecting the basic economy tickets are these:

3 tickets, saving me around 100 USD over main cabin fare, (that covers 3 days of dog boarding).
Short flight (connecting in ATL), so middle doesn't matter, we're bringing carry on only (under seat). Potential for upgrade wasn't that important. It was really just 100 USD extra to select our seats in advance.
Bu the main reason- basic economy and main cabin fares both earn 5 tier points per segment (unless I shell out a lot more $ for a higher fare bucket). Why am I going to pay more to earn the same (minuscule) amount of TPs?

I'll revisit this decision after my flight.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by BenA

Right. The point is, if OP had booked a Main Cabin fare, they could have called at 5:59 AM and moved the flight for a fee. The previous poster was asserting that even a Main cabin fare wouldn’t have helped, which is untrue.

The last couple times I've called Delta, the wait was 2+ hours. So if one tried to call before the departure of their flight & was on hold for hours, would Delta likely have given the flight credit?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BobOscar
The last couple times I've called Delta, the wait was 2+ hours. So if one tried to call before the departure of their flight & was on hold for hours, would Delta likely have given the flight credit?
Go online. Can cancel the flight without human intervention. Can also see about SDC to later flight.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:06 am

Hey lawyers reading this: The airlines are exempt from state law (mostly) under the Airline Deregulation Act.

But, don't you think a non-assignable ticket that is totally non-refundable would be illegal under your state's law?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.