Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Basic Economy flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suvayanr

even if the OP didn’t have status, for $75 they could have done SDC/SDS. Much more reasonable.
First of all, BE fares are not eligible for SDC/SDS, so it was never an option to begin with for OP. Second, only Gold and higher status can standby for later flights. It's not an option for Silver or no status pax even when paying the $75 fee. OP could have possibly done SDC for a later flight if he had main cabin ticket and there was original booking class availability. Paying the $75 fee does not waive the original booking class requirement. If there is no original booking availability, you are subject to fare difference and change fee (although you could get change fee waived by upfaring to C+ or F). Again, a Main Cabin fare is required for these options.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1

Individual agents certainly have the ability to and some do, to reissue a ticket or to waive various change and cancellation fees. But, that is entirely discretionary.

There will now be 100 posts from people who got lucky. While I bear OP no ill will and don't mind that any one of those 100 who got lucky, did get lucky, the frank fact is that it is better for the rules to exist, be clear, and be enforced uniformly.

OP is wrong in one respect. The fare rules, especially for BE, are very clear.
There is, in fact, a clear and uniform rule for airport agents to follow when a passenger is late by a few moments for a flight. It’s called the Flat Tire Rule, and while Delta does not publish it and it is applied at agent discretion, it is a formal policy. If BE is excluded from this policy, that detail is unpublished, as the policy itself is unpublished; this is a totally different category of flight changes from SDC/SDS, as a fee is not usually charged.*

From https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/t...r-flight.html/ :

According to Delta rep Morgan Durrant, “We do have a flat tire rule. A customer who in good faith arrives at the airport due to unforeseen delay should speak to an agent. We handle each on a case-by-case basis as every customer’s situation can differ. But many times we can get them on the next available flight.”

*that said, perhaps it’s implemented under the covers as SDC with a waived fee rather than as an IROPS rebook, triggering a system block on that type of change...
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
I’m actually pretty surprised OP wasn’t offered the opportunity to get on a later flight. Separately from ticket rules, Delta has a “flat tire rule” that allows airport agents the discretion to rebook late passengers onto a new flight if they narrowly miss the original booking; arriving at 6:00 AM for a 6:00 AM flight is exactly the sort of situation it’s designed for. There is no guarantee and it isn’t a published policy, so Delta wasn’t obligated to help - but I would have expected it to apply even on a BE fare as long as OP was pleasant and contrite to the airport staff, so it’s disappointing it didn’t.

OP, going back to your original question, by the letter of the ticket rules you are definitely completely out of luck. But I still think two venues are worth pursuing. 1- check your credit card you purchased the ticket with to see if you have any travel insurance that might cover the scenario, and 2- write Delta a short, polite email expressing your disappointment that the “flat tire” rule wasn’t applied in your case, using that term.

I fully expect that you will not receive a refund for the second ticket, but you may receive a few SkyMiles as a customer service gesture, which is better than nothing.
He should complain that a policy that doesn't really exist wasn't applied? Muchless on a ticket who's rules specifically prohibit changes. Even if the rule normally is used, it doesnt apply to BE tickets. Doing so would negate one of the main restrictions.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
He should complain that a policy that doesn't really exist wasn't applied? Muchless on a ticket who's rules specifically prohibit changes. Even if the rule normally is used, it doesnt apply to BE tickets. Doing so would negate one of the main restrictions.
Again, this policy does exist, and has been confirmed by Delta PR in the past. It’s just unpublished, and therefore we don’t know if it applies to BE tickets or not. We can guess, but the best way to find out if this policy was applied correctly in this case, and to express disappointment if it was not or if BE tickets are excepted, is to contact Delta customer service, who are much better positioned than random passengers on FlyerTalk to know the details of the policy.

OP should expect that the response will be polite and with no compensation, but this situation is ambiguous enough because there are no public statements about how the Flat Tire rule applies to BE fares that it’s not unreasonable to ask. Remember, BE fares receive identical IROPS handling to Main Cabin fares, so it depends on how this sort of change is treated internally as to how it is expected to be handled.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
FWIW, on AA the flat tire rule (formally called something like the "2-hour rule") *does* apply to basic economy (“Flat tire” “rule” and Basic Economy / BE). It would be nice to have some clarification on DL's policy. I say this as an AA elite with a few upcoming DL basic economy tickets that I'm not currently planning to miss .
BenA and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly AA next time, they’re more accommodating with their version of the flat tire rule apparently.

“Flat tire” “rule” and Basic Economy / BE
BenA likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I’m actually pretty surprised OP wasn’t offered the opportunity to get on a later flight.
I feel bad for OP, but I don't think he should receive anything from DL. Doing so would "dilute" the entire point of BE fares.

As for the Flat Tire Rule, the spirit of that rule is to give agents leeway to accommodate unforseen circumstances and things outside of the passenger's direct control. IMO, oversleeping doesn't meet those criteria and it seems like the DL agent at OP's airport shared that opinion.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Again, this policy does exist, and has been confirmed by Delta PR in the past. It’s just unpublished, and therefore we don’t know if it applies to BE tickets or not. We can guess, but the best way to find out if this policy was applied correctly in this case, and to express disappointment if it was not or if BE tickets are excepted, is to contact Delta customer service, who are much better positioned than random passengers on FlyerTalk to know the details of the policy.

OP should expect that the response will be polite and with no compensation, but this situation is ambiguous enough because there are no public statements about how the Flat Tire rule applies to BE fares that it’s not unreasonable to ask. Remember, BE fares receive identical IROPS handling to Main Cabin fares, so it depends on how this sort of change is treated internally as to how it is expected to be handled.
IRROPS is the companies fault. Of course they legally must still get you to destination. Flat tire isn't their fault. DL like have been consistent that BE tickets are use it or lose it. Allowing agents to rebook would totally defeat this restriction.

Finally the "policy" simply states they'll handle things on a case by case basis. For me that's more an agent CS discretion policy than flat tire policy . AA/UA have set policies including showing up within 2 hours. AFAIK the DL policy as stated is simply case by case evaluation. Can someone point to an actual policy that is more than statement allowing agent discretion? Every blog says same thing about DL policy. Yes they allow agents discretion, but nothing is required.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:01 am

I think something is missing from the story. Delta actually is pretty accommodating even on basic economy so I can’t imagine that if he/she got to the airport at six cleared security and hurried to the gate they wouldn’t have been given some relief especially with other flights having space. Would love to know what airport and who op approached for help and what was said about why the plane was missed.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
I did a VDB a few months back and the GA was also working a customer who missed a flight. It was a BE ticket and she was trying to rebook him on a later flight for free. The computer would not let her and when she called for assistance she was told since it was a BE fare, nothing could be done, a new ticket needed to be purchased.
BenA and gooselee like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for generating an interesting discussion. I’ll ask them and see but not expect much. I use Chase Sapphire Reserve; I can’t remember what their current trip insurance policy is.

Not much more to the story. I was flying LEX-LGA.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Fly AA next time, they’re more accommodating with their version of the flat tire rule apparently.

“Flat tire” “rule” and Basic Economy / BE
I understand that the flat tire rule doesn't apply to international flights - but in my case, I got there 15 minutes before check-in cutoff and got past the cut off time by the time I reached the counter. I had to cough up $4k to fly on the next flight
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by samwise6222
I understand that the flat tire rule doesn't apply to international flights - but in my case, I got there 15 minutes before check-in cutoff and got past the cut off time by the time I reached the counter. I had to cough up $4k to fly on the next flight
But why did you show with only 15 minutes before the cut off? Showing up with 15 minutes before the cut off for an international flight check in when one has to check a bag is not going to turn out well as you and many other have found out.

The rules are for actually checking in with a recommendation of when to arrive at the check in. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...uirements.html

The recommended arrival time at the airport prior to departure of international flights is 3 hours. When traveling to/from a destination outside the United States, you must be checked in at least 60 minutes before your scheduled departure time ...

As much as I hate waiting at the airport, for my last flight where I had to check a bag I showed up well over 2 hours early. I was in and out of the check in, immigration, and was at the gate all with 15 minutes of arriving at the airport. An hour before the flight immigration was backed up.

That said, I once arrived at the airport an hour before my US internal flight and could not check in at the kiosk. I tried several times before going to the desk. The GA said I missed the check in by 5 minutes. I was very confused until I realized I was looking at my inbound flight times and not my out bound which was ~50 minutes earlier. It was my mistake and I was ready to own it. Fortunately, she was able to get me on another set of flights sans any charge (as a GM). For that they got a JWD cert. And as I boarded my second flight with several other medallions who were all sitting in the back (myself included) we just laughed at each other cause we had all been put on the flight at the last minute.

For the OP. Good luck but I doubt you will get anything back. Early morning flights suck.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Aug 19, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by gooselee
I feel bad for OP, but I don't think he should receive anything from DL. Doing so would "dilute" the entire point of BE fares.
I disagree with this vehemently. There are things outside of the passenger's control that may occur at the airport that would prevent a passenger from making their flight.

I was once delayed at the TSA for an hour because my bag was in a machine that broke - and that was after waiting 20 minutes in line. Incidentally I did not miss my flight (I had planned to take an hour long call from the lounge) but had I arrived at the airport 2 hours early and tried to drop off a bag without status (therefore having to wait 30 minutes..) there is a good chance I would have missed my flight.

What if, similarly, a passenger happens to be on a watchlist? True secondary (not just your basic SSSS secondary) can sometimes take upward of 1-2 hours.

At the very least, the rule should be waived if the passenger arrived at the airport at a reasonable time before their flight.

I don't know why people on this forum hate BE travelers so much. All BE fares are is what the old low fare used to be.. and now you have to pay extra to get the same thing you used to get before or pay less and get abused. And yet people on this forum seem to love the notion of people having a lower fare and getting abused because of it. It makes no sense to me. The schadenfreude is strong here (even though, incidentally, people here suffer through higher prices as well).
BenA and ftlurker2 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

To me, the zero flexibility is pretty unfair. We are all human and sometimes mistakes happen. Getting me on a different flight could not have cost the airline nearly anything. I’m a light traveler who minds my own business. I’d already paid ~$300 on the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.