Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best & Worse Airlines (Surprise about Delta)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

DL ranked the worst out of the big 3 US carriers with the following quote the most interesting to me. (article below)

While I have never had to "go to court to get them to pay" the auto fill responses, slow speed to respond, and generally ignoring complaints etc does not surprise me where they landed on the list.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rports-of-2018
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
this year’s 2018 AirHelp Score report from AirHelp, a company that advocates on behalf of air travelers for compensation in cases of delays or cancelations. Its sixth annual survey uses data from the first quarter of the year to rank the 72 international airlines for which the company had statistically significant data.

It sounds like this is focused on EC261 claims, which is a small fraction of passengers (and passenger experience).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:32 am

You can argue about whether it's right for Delta to do this, but it sounds like a smart business decision. They're going to take care of their customers with any significant status, but for the rest, I'm sure they save a lot of money because people are not motivated enough to follow through with claims in court.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
this year’s 2018 AirHelp Score report from AirHelp, a company that advocates on behalf of air travelers for compensation in cases of delays or cancelations. Its sixth annual survey uses data from the first quarter of the year to rank the 72 international airlines for which the company had statistically significant data.

It sounds like this is focused on EC261 claims, which is a small fraction of passengers (and passenger experience).
I can confirm Delta is very reluctant to pay EC261 claims, even if valid. I had to involve the Spanish regulator before they paid a valid claim I had for a flight ex-BCN. Smart business decision - few customers would bother to go through the hassle I did for 600-800€, and this stinginess probably saves them a ton of money. Imho, it’s a flaw in the regulation; if the airline denies your claim and it is later confirmed valid, you should be entitled to treble damages to discourage this sort of behavior.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BenA

I can confirm Delta is very reluctant to pay EC261 claims, even if valid. I had to involve the Spanish regulator before they paid a valid claim I had for a flight ex-BCN. Smart business decision - few customers would bother to go through the hassle I did for 600-800€, and this stinginess probably saves them a ton of money. Imho, it’s a flaw in the regulation; if the airline denies your claim and it is later confirmed valid, you should be entitled to treble damages to discourage this sort of behavior.
The bigger challenge is managing "extraordinary circumstances" in the context of cascading failures. An inbound flight JFK->BCN is delayed 6 hours due to a ground stop at JFK. This causes the returning BCN->JFK flight to be delayed by 4 hours even though there are no ATC or weather issues at BCN or where the flight is going. Is this extraordinary circumstance? Delta would argue yes, a passenger would likely say no. The legislation is ambiguous, and courts are working through these things very much use case at a time - i.e., very slowly.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

Very straight forward process to me. I sent the claim through the AF website (saves time as any message I sent through the DL website is redirected to AF due to my french address), AF responded almost immediately. A few weeks later received a check for 600 Euros in the mail.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:29 am

Really?? I have had two with DL and they have been fantastic about handling them, albeit a bit slow. First one, I wrote in and received a nice letter about a month later (not your typical form letter) and a check 600 euros. Second time, I wrote in and received a phone call about a month later, and not only did I receive a check for 600 euros, but DL also gave me a $400 voucher for the inconvenience. Needless to say, I think that is fantastic handling.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Situation
Really?? I have had two with DL and they have been fantastic about handling them, albeit a bit slow. First one, I wrote in and received a nice letter about a month later (not your typical form letter) and a check 600 euros. Second time, I wrote in and received a phone call about a month later, and not only did I receive a check for 600 euros, but DL also gave me a $400 voucher for the inconvenience. Needless to say, I think that is fantastic handling.
About the only thing that matches between our experiences is the slow part, apparently. Perhaps they simply value your business more!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:52 am

About the only thing that matches between our experiences is the slow part, apparently. Perhaps they simply value your business more!
Not the first time I have heard that. A lot of people think I get better service because of the amount of travel and spend relative to my young age - they are investing in me as a long term customer. I don't spend as much or fly as much as a lot of people, but I have a lot of time ahead of me to spend a lot of money as my travel increases over time. Personally, I don't think that has anything to do with it - I just be nice and ask the right questions and say the right things.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Not the first time I have heard that. A lot of people think I get better service because of the amount of travel and spend relative to my young age - they are investing in me as a long term customer. I don't spend as much or fly as much as a lot of people, but I have a lot of time ahead of me to spend a lot of money as my travel increases over time. Personally, I don't think that has anything to do with it - I just be nice and ask the right questions and say the right things.
I've never thought of it this way, but you could very well be right.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I doubt age has anything to do with it. More likely that circumstances and agent quality (and how you treat them) have everything to do with it.

If you treat people warmly and with respect, regardless of how angry you might be at the time, they’re almost always willing to jump through hoops for you — in fact, they genuinely feel bad if they can’t help. When I call in and the rep sounds harried or frazzled, I know he/she is either at the end of a long shift, just got off a bad call, or both. I try to lift them up a little instead of pile on. When I hang up, I want them to say “I wish all my calls were like that!”

It’s not a universal cure-all, but I’d rather suffer the fall-out from being too nice than the aftermath of being a dick.

That said, I’ve become a Grand Master at quickly discerning when to HUCA. Sometimes it has everything to do with lucking into the right agent.
Widgets likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Complete opposite of my experience with DL the other night. Not EC261 related, but my evening flight from SLC to YYC turned into a 12-hour overnight delay due to a mechanical issue. They put me up in a hotel of course, and before I even went to bed that night I had received an email saying they'll deposit 12,500 SkyMiles into my account. Shortly after this, a customer service rep called me to check in and let me know that they'll be sending me a $100 check for the inconvenience and to cover my incidentals from the overnight. All thing considered, it was handled so smoothly that I had no reason to complain or demand compensation, but the fact that they we're so proactive about taking care of me certainly helps build my loyalty. I have no idea if everyone on the plane got similar compensation but I heard at least one kettle at the gate next morning mentioning it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.