Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jay00848

agree it would be great to ban smoking on the property since when they smoke on the side walk it just gets in the face of everyone else.
At TBIT, it's typically right in front of the NO SMOKING signs.
Jay00848 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by josephstern
At TBIT, it's typically right in front of the NO SMOKING signs.
TBIT has an airside smoking area. I've hopped on the shuttle to go there when I've been very early for flights home. There is construction going on in the adjacent gate area, so it may not be there permanently.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jay00848
agree it would be great to ban smoking on the property since when they smoke on the side walk it just gets in the face of everyone else.
LAX arrivals has some of the most atrocious air quality of any public space I regularly find myself in the US. I'd be all for relegating smokers and banning diesel fleet vehicles, for starters. To bring it back to this thread, I wish LAWA would mandate any terminal reconstruction to include some sort of pollution control in the arrivals area (big suction fans or something?).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
LAX arrivals has some of the most atrocious air quality of any public space I regularly find myself in the US. I'd be all for relegating smokers and banning diesel fleet vehicles, for starters. To bring it back to this thread, I wish LAWA would mandate any terminal reconstruction to include some sort of pollution control in the arrivals area (big suction fans or something?).
I agree 100%. It's especially bad on the arrivals level, where the smog hangs under the upper roadway.

Can I also add that the noise pollution is ridiculous? I don't know what it is - air brakes on the shuttles, maybe? - but there is a truly overwhelming amount of noise out there, and I'm talking about non-construction noise. Just everyday noise.
McGowan06 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The people mover should help with some of the air issues. One of the most important things that it will do is get rid of all of the rental car shuttle buses, which are huge contributors to pollution and also traffic. It will also provide a much better connection to the metro system which should have some positive impact on traffic (though I don't know how much that will do).
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So now that traffic is down so much at LAX, I do wonder if Delta would consider just shutting down T3 and pushing faster on the renovations.

I haven't been over there in a few weeks, but I do still see Terminal 3 listed for current flights.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
So now that traffic is down so much at LAX, I do wonder if Delta would consider just shutting down T3 and pushing faster on the renovations.

I haven't been over there in a few weeks, but I do still see Terminal 3 listed for current flights.
T3 is shut down right now, not sure where you are seeing flights still scheduled to depart from T3. As far as shutting T3 down permanently to get the construction done faster, I don’t know if that’s possible as T2 won’t be able to handle all DL flights once demand starts to pick back up.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
T2 won’t be able to handle all DL flights once demand starts to pick back up.
how long do you think that will take?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
how long do you think that will take?
It will probably take 1-2 years for demand to return to 2019 levels, but at some point (hopefully by fall) demand will start to go back up slowly from where we are now. Also note that DL shares T2 with VS/AM/WS, most of whom are also flying a much reduced schedule right now, which freed up extra room for DL to temporarily consolidate in T2.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
T3 is shut down right now, not sure where you are seeing flights still scheduled to depart from T3. As far as shutting T3 down permanently to get the construction done faster, I don’t know if that’s possible as T2 won’t be able to handle all DL flights once demand starts to pick back up.
You are right. The flights I'm seeing these days for T3 are all canceled. Not sure why they still have a gate number in that event.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:42 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I thought I saw a couple uncancelled arrivals from yesterday or today listed as T3 gates. But I guess it makes sense to consolidate to T2 during reductions since those gates can handle international arrivals, and they’ve already consolidated landside services to T2.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
You are right. The flights I'm seeing these days for T3 are all canceled. Not sure why they still have a gate number in that event.
Most of the LAX flights have a default terminal assigned, and its something that often gets changed in the days leading up to arrival.

Updating the default terminal is hardly important right now, especially when the assignment has to be revisited in the days/hours prior to arrival for the sake of gate assignment, anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by ryw
I thought I saw a couple uncancelled arrivals from yesterday or today listed as T3 gates. But I guess it makes sense to consolidate to T2 during reductions since those gates can handle international arrivals, and they’ve already consolidated landside services to T2.

What's an "uncancelled" flight?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:04 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So T3 is closed down. This is an opportunity to get some stuff done ahead of schedule though it's hard to know if that's the plan or just to reduce operational costs during this time period.

Beverly Hills is allowing Wilshire to close down and have the purple line construction to accelerate with full time work instead of just weekend work, now that there's not much traffic. This apparently will speed up this phase of the Purple line up by 6 months.

It's a good idea for the infrastructure projects to speed up given the logistics that are less an obstinate. The question is does Delta have the $$ to push it forward...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: Skymiles, LifeMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So T3 is closed down. This is an opportunity to get some stuff done ahead of schedule though it's hard to know if that's the plan or just to reduce operational costs during this time period.

Beverly Hills is allowing Wilshire to close down and have the purple line construction to accelerate with full time work instead of just weekend work, now that there's not much traffic. This apparently will speed up this phase of the Purple line up by 6 months.

It's a good idea for the infrastructure projects to speed up given the logistics that are less an obstinate. The question is does Delta have the $$ to push it forward...

That T3 renovation project is basically being paid for way ahead of time. Yes there's always extra cost; however the big chunk of money is already payed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.